HELP! Laptop keyboard not working after using external keyboard

HELP! Laptop keyboard not working after using external keyboard

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion HELP! Laptop keyboard not working after using external keyboard

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tara
    Participant

Posting here in the general discussion in case it’s a common problem..

I plugged an external USB keyboard into my Teclast F5 laptop and it worked fine. But after unplugging it the laptop keyboard is messed up – keys and characters no longer match (e.g. when I type o it comes up as 6). Restarting laptop doesn’t help.

Any suggestions please???

FBachofner
    Participant

Hi Tara:

Assuming the hardware did not somehow break (fairly unlikely from just plugging in an external keyboard), perhaps the keyboard “map” got changed somehow.

The most likely situation is that you invoked the number pad “overlay” on your laptop keyboard.  Many laptops have a virtual “number pad” often approximately where the “u, i, o, j, k, l, m, “,”, and “.” keys are.  This helps with speedier “ten key” numeric entry.  [You will probably see a light blue, or perhaps green “overlay” printed with 0-9 on just those keys.]

Your manual can tell you how to turn this on and off (it’s different for each type of laptop — usually accomplished with a hardware switch near or on the keyboard or with a Fn key).

Or this external keyboard somehow changed the way the OS recognized the keyboard.  Depending on your OS, there are different ways of doing this.  In Windows you should be able to type “keyboard” after invoking the Start menu to see how to change the keyboard type.

Good luck!

FBachofner
    Participant

If you take a good look at this photo from the official Teclast F5 page (http://www.teclast.com/en/zt/nb/F5/images/F5_zt_11.jpg):

you can see smaller numbers and functions (i.e. *, /) in smaller size on the 8,9,0,i,o (obscured by finger),p,k, etc keys.

I’d say my first “solution” is definitely the correct one.

The Del key is also marked “numlock”  Try pressing Fn-Del to get back your “regular keyboard.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password