Hi 8 Pro USB-C port is USB 2.0 only!!!!

Hi 8 Pro USB-C port is USB 2.0 only!!!!

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Pro Discussion Hi 8 Pro USB-C port is USB 2.0 only!!!!

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andras Kenez
    Participant

I tested many USB-C to USB 3.0 cables and HUBs, I’m sure tablet’s USB C port has only USB 2.0 speed. X5-Z8300 SOC has USB 3.0 controller with 3 USB 3.0 and many USB 2.0 connection, but crazy engineers from Chuwi conneted SD card reader and USB -C port to USB 2.0 parts of controller. It’s very very annoying.

Vedran
    Participant

That USB-C connector supports only up to USB 2.0 speeds is not exactly news here. There are a few threads dealing with that issue.
    Now explain to me how ChuWi engineers did a poor job when z8300 does not support USB 3.0 off SoC.
    Before you start explaining, read this: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/atom/atom-z8000-datasheet-vol-1.html
    Page 17, USB devices – USB 3.0 – Not supported (our SoC package is T3 aka z8300).
    You can see that we have 3 USB 2.0 connections coming from SoC, that’s it.
    Consequently, SSIC (built on top of USB 3.0) is not supported, and there are 2 HSIC (built on top of USB 2.0), so probably there’s one more USB PHY inside.
    Having dedicated USB 3.0 silicon – like it was 5 years ago on Intel boards whose chipset didn’t support USB 3.0 natively – would increase heating and price of this tablet, neither of which would result in a competitive product.

Andras Kenez
    Participant

Thaks your reply.

I’m not sure…..

I have OndaObook 10 and SD vard reader works with USB 3.0 speed. and I have also had Cube iWork 10 with mico USB 3.0 port. (Both bilt with Z8300)

And Cube mico USB 3.0 port works with USB 3.0 speed. I do not think taht Cube has separete USB 3.0 controller on board…

I find answer.

T3 aka z8300 has one USB 3.0 OTG port!

Cube use it, Chuwi do not! Sorry, but Chuwi made poor job…

I share crystal disk bechmarks

1st

OBook 10 with Z8300 and Adata SD cacrd

2nd

Cube iwork 10 and my Sandisk  USB 3.0 pendrive

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Vedran
    Participant

When my HP ENVY 8 Note arrives next week, I will investigate this further, as I have no other z8300 here.
    You need to take into account that iwork 10 and OBook 10 are both 10″ tablets, hence more space to fit things inside. I don’t know anything about either of those, so I cannot say what kind of extra stuff they might have. You should ask Chris, he likes to open stuff 😀

I know you read my benchmark comparison thread http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/micro-sd-benchmark-comparison/ as you commented there with your findings.
    If SD card reader was connected via USB 2.0 (hint: it’s not) how do you explain sequential reads in my measurements going at 71 MB/s?
    Btw, theoretical top speed of USB 2.0 is 480MBit/s (60MB/s).
    I still find it amusing that Hi8 Pro 4K operations outperform Surface 3 Pro with the same card.

Andras Kenez
    Participant

I read Intel documentation.

Cherry trail SOC connect SD card with SDR104. But in Z8300 limited to DDR50 due to “PMIC power delivery limitation”

So no more than 50Mb/s.

Chuwi Hi8 pro, Cube iWork 10 and Onda Obook 10 all have Z8300 SOC.

But Onda Obook 10 did not follow Intel limitation and works with SDR104 speed. ( I tested it four 64 GB SD cards. Reading speed was 54-84 MB/s with Obook. But with Chuwi Hi 8pro and Cube iWork 10 also worked only DDR50 (almost same than USB 2.0 480Mbit/8= 60Mbyte) and no more than 40 megabyte/s ( I measured same speed through USB C port + USB 3.0 Sandisk USB drive with Chuwi Hi 8 pro, but same Sandisk USB drive works with Cube iWork 10’s micro USB 3.0 ports with 140Mbyte/s )

( And Obook 10 and  Cube iWork 10 did not follow Intel limitation with DDR3 memory size, and put 4GB into tabs. Great)

Vedran
    Participant

I decided to redo benchmarks with different sample sizes: 1GB, 500MB, 100MB. Numbers are still above theoretical maximum of DDR50, so I suppose they left the bus in SDR104 mode despite Intel recommendations.

Note: I have earlier series single OS Hi8 Pro, which is not being sold anymore (as far as I know) due to its many problems. So it’s possible that it has different implementation than yours.

Hi8 Pro Samsung 128GB EVO+ 1GB
    Hi8 Pro Samsung 128GB EVO+ 500MB
    Hi8 Pro Samsung 128GB EVO+ 100MB

As you said, it is possible that manufacturers are not following Intel’s recommendations, and doing their own stuff.
    Without their motherboard schematics we can just speculate here.
    One thing is clear, numbers I’m getting from this card are quite decent, so at least I’m happy with this aspect of the tablet.

Andras Kenez
    Participant

I tested four 64GB  SD cards, and I did not measure more than 40GB/s. Those cacards performed better with Obook 10 (54-85GB/s).

May be we have different revisions of tab.

Vedran
    Participant

May be we have different revisions of tab.

Yes, I suspect they did different implementation of things in different batches.
    Mine is Hi8 PQ32G22151102244

Vedran
    Participant

As promised, I uploaded SD card reader benchmarks from HP Envy 8 Note I got hours ago. Results are very similar to Chuwi Hi8 Pro which reinforces my theory that your tablets have additional electronics inside for card reader.

SD benchmark HP Envy 8 NOTE

Andras Kenez
    Participant

I have 4 Z8300 devices

Onda Obook 10 and Jumper Ezbook 2 works with SDR104 mode (sd card reading about 54MB/s-84MB/s depend from SD card )

Cube Iwork 10 and Chuwi Hi 8 pro works only with DDR 50 (SD card reading about 38-40 MB/s)

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

Rev2 of the Cube iwork10 which has a USB-C connector is USB 2.0 though again, can someone confirm this?

Andras Kenez
    Participant

Have you got C type of iWork 10?

I have TD (mrousB 3.0) version and micro USB 3.0 port works at 3.0 speed.

But I do not know why when I tried the ports first  it worked at 2.0 mode only.

I had updated Windows and it worked at 3.0 speed.

So update Windows try other usb 3.0 device (HDD, USB drive) and it may be will help.

Christian
    Participant

All,

is there any new information about that topics? I have a Chuwi hibook pro and my sdcard perf. is really bad.

Card used is Toshiba SDXC UHS-I (M302)

Chuwi HiBook pro: write ~12.7 MByte/s  read ~17.0 MByte/s –> would love to get it upto 40…

On my Dell Laptop it made:

write ~27.8 MByte/s read ~81.6 MByte/s

That leads me to the assumption that it must be a combination  of driver issue … . Or a problem with the sd card reader in the tablet.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ric hey
    Participant
    Ewgeniy
    Participant
    I have a problem of a different nature.
    The port only works with USB 3.0 devices. The port does not see the device 2.0. Moreover, it does not work with keyboard and mouse.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar