Hising noise coming from CPU after thermal mod

Hising noise coming from CPU after thermal mod

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book Hising noise coming from CPU after thermal mod

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Khant
    Participant

After finishing the mod and booting the device, I heard some hising noise coming from the CPU.First I thought the copper shim touching some resistors around the area caused the noise so I removed it and tested again. But the hising noise is actually coming directly from CPU. The thermal grease would be negligible as it conducts only heat not electricity. Also heat would not be the cause of the problem because CPU starts producing noise only when the tablet is powered on and when the power is completely turned-off, the noise is gone. The noise is constant whether the tablet is in used or idle. The device still runs flawlessly.

Maybe the noise was always been there before the mod? Or if not, what did I do wrong?

🙁

Any ideas?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Do you mean a coil whine type of noise like a GPU can do like the GTX 107 I have? These CPU’s can make that high pitch noise. Or is it from the speakers? Some units have static over the speakers when on.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Khant
    Participant

Thanks Chris. It seems the noise comes directly from the CPU. It is not very loud and with the back cover attached, it is barely noticeable. I will remove all the residual thermal paste from the CPU to check whether the paste is causing the problem or not.

Iahong Upoc
    Participant

Usually a high pitched “whine” is normal for computers (fun fact, the older you get, the less you can hear it 😀 ). But a “hiss” defiantly doesn’t sound right (pardon the pun ;D ).

I would say, check the residue, and also the contact point (if there isn’t enough pressure applied to the paste/cpu, problems could arise). Make sure it’s nice and snug in there.

Katagiri
    Participant

Usually a high pitched “whine” is normal for computers (fun fact, the older you get, the less you can hear it ? ). But a “hiss” defiantly doesn’t sound right (pardon the pun ;D ). I would say, check the residue, and also the contact point (if there isn’t enough pressure applied to the paste/cpu, problems could arise). Make sure it’s nice and snug in there.

It’s true, I’m 41 but I have a super hearing for my age. Last week I went to my aunt’s and I was hearing a high pitched noise that was bothering me a lot, I asked my parents and my aunt, all 60+, nobody could hear it. So I decides to tack it and it was her surge protector that was making the noise, the neighborhood had an energy outage and those surge protector make noises to warn that something went wrong.

timinus
    Participant

I have a whine too, but very quiet. I haven’t looked into too much, and I don’t want to open it up it investigate. The whine changes tone when processing (like moving webpages and stuff). I can hear it when there is no ambient noise, but doesn’t seem to affect the performance of anything. I’m just hoping the thing won’t fail catastrophically because of it.

Papa Yoyo
    Participant

Just tested this and yes there’s a hissing/crackling noise coming from the cpu. It’s very faint, you have to put your ear against the back where it heats up, in a silent room, to hear it. I haven’t opened it up or modified anything so it must be normal for this cpu.

Khant
    Participant

Thanks for your opinions. I removed the thermal mod back, cleaned all the mess and tested again and again. The noise is still there. CPU starts producing noise when the tablet is powered on and stops when it is completely shut down. It doesn’t affect on performance and the tablet seems to run completely fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password