How I extended the battery life of the Cube i7 Book and Fixed Palm Rejection

How I extended the battery life of the Cube i7 Book and Fixed Palm Rejection

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book How I extended the battery life of the Cube i7 Book and Fixed Palm Rejection

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Sing Along
    Participant

I still prefer the surface 3 except for the darn emmc and the slow charge.

Bigger screen, lighter package and more portable.  In terms of performance, I find x7 snappier when I am running multi core applications.

If I can find a kickstand keyboard for this i7 book, it will be great.

Dim565
    Participant

I’ll repeat the video test later.

Not performed a second test yet? I am very interested to know the results 🙂

maus
    Participant

Hi! Yes, I tweaked the tablet a little bit and tested it again, I have some good and bad news to share.

The good ones are that the BIOS, as everyone has noticed :-), has plenty of options, if you go into the CPU configuration section you can, for example, extend the available C-states to C10 (the default setting was C8, I don’t know why). That should extend the battery life while the CPU is idle (useful for web browsing, for example).

And you can also make an “hard” undervolt of the CPU, because there is also an overclocking section. I haven’t found an overclocking section dedicated to the GPU, unfortunately. I set an offset of -80 mV for my CPU, and it seems stable, also while gaming. Apart from this, all the other settings are set as recommended by the OP.

I didn’t run a full runtime test because I needed to use the tablet, but I estimated the battery duration by watching a 1080p HEVC movie for 30 minutes with the default Windows 10 video player, wifi off and wired earphones, and I’ve got slightly less then 7 hours with brightness set at 25% and six hours with brightness set at 50% (that’s a better setting if you really want to enjoy a movie, IMO). The estimation I made goes from 100% to 0%, so you have less useful time obviously.

The bad news: I noticed that the battery discarging rate that the tablet provides is not accurate at all, it seems to be only about 82% of the real discharging rate!

For example, during the video test with brightness set at 25%, BatteryBar told that the battery was discharging at about -4.600 mW, but the real discharging rate was -5.600 mW. In fact, if you divide the battery capacity (about 41 Wh) for 5.600, you get about 7, that is the number of hours you can squeeze from the battery in that scenario.

And it also seems that Windows 10 calculates its estimation of the battery runtime by using the average discharging rate, so if your battery is going to last 7 hours, it will tell you that you have about 10 hours left!

That’s pretty annoying, I don’t know if it can be fixed by software (maybe with a BIOS update) or if it is an hardware issue.

Sing Along
    Participant

Well, kudos to TS.

The turbo mode seems to sucks a hell lot of power.

I was in a bit of fix today as I forgot to bring my charger to work.
    By just switching to max processor 60% and brightness to 10%, I was able to stretch the laptop to 8 hrs and complete the day unscathed.

Ben
    Participant

The bad news: I noticed that the battery discarging rate that the tablet provides is not accurate at all, it seems to be only about 82% of the real discharging rate! For example, during the video test with brightness set at 25%, BatteryBar told that the battery was discharging at about -4.600 mW, but the real discharging rate was -5.600 mW. In fact, if you divide the battery capacity (about 41 Wh) for 5.600, you get about 7, that is the number of hours you can squeeze from the battery in that scenario. And it also seems that Windows 10 calculates its estimation of the battery runtime by using the average discharging rate, so if your battery is going to last 7 hours, it will tell you that you have about 10 hours left! That’s pretty annoying, I don’t know if it can be fixed by software (maybe with a BIOS update) or if it is an hardware issue.

Good observation but wrong conclusion.  Actually the capacity of the battery is nowhere near 41 Wh (reality: 4200 mAh * 7.6V = 32 Wh).  Use the correct capacity in the equation, and now you see that the discharge rate of 4600 mW matches closely with your observed runtime of about 7 hours.

It would be very surprising if the discharge rate were incorrect, since that is actually *measured*.  BatteryBar should eventually recalibrate the capacity based on actual power released and replace that ridiculous 41 Wh estimate by the real value.

(For those who care — a Li-ion cell ranges from about 4.3V at full charge to 3.6V at about 2% charge remaining, with two batteries in series the voltage is twice that.  The voltage also doesn’t decrease linearly with energy remaining, which results in the “average” voltage being a somewhat below the midpoint between 3.6 and 4.3V.)

Mauro
    Participant

Sorry, I accessed with my Google account and replied with a different nick by mistake. The admin may remove this message.

maus
    Participant

Sorry, I accessed with my Google account and replied with a different nick by mistake. The admin may remove this message.

The bad news: I noticed that the battery discarging rate that the tablet provides is not accurate at all, it seems to be only about 82% of the real discharging rate! For example, during the video test with brightness set at 25%, BatteryBar told that the battery was discharging at about -4.600 mW, but the real discharging rate was -5.600 mW. In fact, if you divide the battery capacity (about 41 Wh) for 5.600, you get about 7, that is the number of hours you can squeeze from the battery in that scenario. And it also seems that Windows 10 calculates its estimation of the battery runtime by using the average discharging rate, so if your battery is going to last 7 hours, it will tell you that you have about 10 hours left! That’s pretty annoying, I don’t know if it can be fixed by software (maybe with a BIOS update) or if it is an hardware issue.

Good observation but wrong conclusion. Actually the capacity of the battery is nowhere near 41 Wh (reality: 4200 mAh * 7.6V = 32 Wh). Use the correct capacity in the equation, and now you see that the discharge rate of 4600 mW matches closely with your observed runtime of about 7 hours. It would be very surprising if the discharge rate were incorrect, since that is actually *measured*. BatteryBar should eventually recalibrate the capacity based on actual power released and replace that ridiculous 41 Wh estimate by the real value. (For those who care — a Li-ion cell ranges from about 4.3V at full charge to 3.6V at about 2% charge remaining, with two batteries in series the voltage is twice that. The voltage also doesn’t decrease linearly with energy remaining, which results in the “average” voltage being a somewhat below the midpoint between 3.6 and 4.3V.)

Thanks for the clarification, in fact I also tought that the wrong capacity could have been the issue, but I forgot to mention it.

BatteryBar does not recalibrate the capacity, it still shows 42-43 Wh after about 10 charging cycles, but it still gives a correct estimation because it calculates (at least this is my conclusion) the average discharging rate by dividing the capacity (wrong) by the capacity drop rate (wrong, it is faster than it should be with a 41 mW battery and the given discharging rate), and not the total capacity (wrong) by the average discharging rate (correct), like Windows does.

So: Wrong/wrong = correct. 🙂

It is not a big deal, but I am wondering if it can be solved.

Daniel
    Participant

Yeah, I also was wondering already. I opened the Cube for the thermal mod and there are two 4500mah cells inside, so 9000mah * 3.7V = 33.3Wh… So the “design capacity” is actually 33.3Wh not 43.3Wh…

tote
    Participant

hi i have a this tablet about 1 month and i charge about 30 times more or less and i have this batteryreport but i dont have idea if is good or not, or if the battwry status is good.

can someone help me?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l22gixqsukxougd/battery-report.html?dl=0

thanks

FUCKTECHTABLET
    Participant

Keep the good work. I follow your tweak for my Cube Mix Plus. I also reduce Core IccMax and Graphics IccMax to 23A.  The responsiveness during boot seems lowered a little bit. But ArtRage, Youtube are not much performance affected. System running temp is stand still at around 40-50C, with core temp between 20-30C, at weather temp 25C.

Continuous YouTube stress test, battery down from fully charged to 70% for 1 1/2 hours

I also add 64Gb Sandisk SDXC for data, cache, pagefile, reducing SSD wear.

sdcard to fixed disk

FUCK FUCKTECHTABLET

Joel Stokes
    Participant

Ensure that your graphics and other drivers, including those related to the YouTube converter, are up to date. Sometimes, new drivers include optimizations that can improve power efficiency. Occasionally calibrate your battery by fully charging it and then letting it discharge completely before charging again. Disable Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other hardware, unless using the YouTube converter.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar