How many Partitions / how much storage space?

How many Partitions / how much storage space?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate How many Partitions / how much storage space?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clayton
    Participant

I see that my my C Drive has 14 Partitions. Is this ‘normal’ — I have only ever seen 3 or 4 at most on computers I have used, including another hybrid with Windows 10. I suppose being Dual Boot, Windows plus Android, adds something to the number? Is there any other explanation? I am awaiting the arrival of the Creators update, will so many Partitions have any affect on the installation, which I have read will require 16 GB or even 2o GB? My Cube has 16 to 17 GB free despite every effort to minimise the storage used.

Astor
    Participant

Hi Chris, my tablet has the same number of partitions so there is nothing wrong.

I suppose that Android needs most of those partitions (boot, system, recovery, etc) and the rest should be for windows (at least 2) and maybe 1 for tablet dual boot.

Anyway, this shouldn’t affect on any OS installation.

About free space, I think I had around 25-30gb free on first boot… if you have 16-17gb and nothing installed then you should try to empty trash, temporary files and system temporary files (mainly from updates).

Chris Clayton
    Participant

Thanks for that, I am glad to know others have the same multiple partitions. I have a number of gremlins which I hope will not affect the update — reports  of problems are mounting up. It will be interesting to learn how TT users get on with Creators especially as many of us have small storage devices.

As regards emptying trash I regard myself to be a ‘junk cleaning junky’ — I use several cleaning apps like CCleaner (and many others) every day, for what I believe to be very good reasons. My previous machine (Quantum View) only had 32 GB RAM (less really) and ran much of the time with 5 GB; without my constant cleaning and downloading to the SD card it looked like it would not upgrade to Windows 10 (from 8.1) nor install the November 2015 or Anniversary updates. Three MS techs on Chat failed to install Anniversary but despite my ropy tech expertise I eventually managed it myself. I now have my Cube at around 20 GB, virtually all apps / programs / files are now on external  USB / SD, and Clouds —- but anyway I have read articles claiming a good capacity empty USB flash drive or SD card will work as temporary storage during the installation to solve these problems. I should see, soon.

I will continue to look for more ways to slim down, for example although I download / move every program I can to the external drives I have noticed a number of Setup files in a drive C folder — I presume I can delete these without any drawbacks?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar