How to get Linux working in LapBook 14.1 (UEFI flash needed)

How to get Linux working in LapBook 14.1 (UEFI flash needed)

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series How to get Linux working in LapBook 14.1 (UEFI flash needed)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carlos
    Participant

I already put this in a comment, but I thought I could put it also here in case it can be of some help to others.

I have a Chuwi LapBook 14.1 and I was trying to get some Linux distro working on it, but whenever I tried a live CD I found myself with a black screen with only an underscore. I looked in the UEFI but I didn’t find any option that allowed me to pass through it. With some help I found out that it was becase I needed to activate a non-existing option in my UEFI (“OS Select”), and I didn’t have this option because I had an earlier version (A2W6_NA14.011). Fortunately there is an update (A2W6_NA14.012) available in chuwi forums, along with a system image and drivers:

http://forum.chuwi.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3572&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D55

The procedure is simple, put the files (uncompressed “LapBook 14.1 BIOS 20161230” folder) in a FAT32 formatted usb key and restart the laptop. You still can skip flashing during boot pressing some key, but if you don’t, “startup.nsh” will flash automatically. It took about less than 5 minutes and now I have this option in my UEFI and finally could test that Linux runs ok. So far I have tried Xubuntu and Linux Mint, both working ok right out of the box.
    I think the option “OS Select” must be some kind of Secure Boot toggle, because in “Windows” mode I cannot run Linux, but in “Linux” mode I can run both.
    Now I just need an M.2 SSD to make this perfect, ;P.

Fionn MacNamara
    Participant

Expecting my Lapbook to arrive some time tomorrow and this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to come across.

Thanks a million!

marrowmonkey
    Participant

Thanks for the info! Have upgraded bios and tried booting Ubuntu 16.04.2 from a USB-key. Everything seems to work fine. 🙂

But I’m a bit unsure now since some say you need kernel 4.10, does anyone know why you would need the never kernel?

marrowmonkey
    Participant

Well, I got my m.2 ssd and installed Ubuntu 16.04 two days ago and everything seems ok, haven’t tested hdmi out, but the other stuff seems to work (kernel 4.8.0). Seem like a great low cost notebook for linux.

EDIT: tested camera and micro sd card as well, seems ok.

ezbook user
    Participant

I could not get hdmi output working correctly using archlinux. I am not sure if it is Linux specific, or if there is a problem with my hdmi out. Can anyone confirm (linux or windows) if their hdmi is working?

Brad
    Participant

Well, I got my m.2 ssd and installed Ubuntu 16.04 two days ago and everything seems ok, haven’t tested hdmi out, but the other stuff seems to work (kernel 4.8.0). Seem like a great low cost notebook for linux. EDIT: tested camera and micro sd card as well, seems ok.

Have you seen this CNX-Software article?
    Installing Ubuntu 17.04 on CHUWI LapBook 14.1 Apollo Lake Laptop
    http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/02/07/installing-ubuntu-17-04-on-chuwi-lapbook-14-1-apollo-lake-laptop/

Brad
    Participant

If you are having problems installing to the eMMC drive be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the comments section on that CNXSoft page…

marrowmonkey
    Participant

Have you seen this CNX-Software article?

Yes I did, it’s what prompted me to make the post because in my experience everything works fine on Ubuntu 16.04 (which is the currently recommended version) and I had no problem installing to the SSD. (I did the bios upgrade Carlos mentioned first though.) I have been using it daily since March now.

I haven’t tried HDMI-out though since I don’t have the right cable for that.

jame
    Participant

If you are new to Linux then Linux Mint is a great default distribution choice. fnaf

Emma Brown
    Participant

I followed your instructions but the Linux I installed does not work. I don’t know how to fix it. aa route planner

taylorgodiva28
    Participant

HDMI 2.0 is par for the course for most users and usage scenarios. But if you need all the advanced and best features and the highest bandwidth HDMI offers, look for an HDMI 2.1 port on your TV.   Vampire Survivors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar