How-To Install Windows to NVME SSD on Mi Notebook Air

How-To Install Windows to NVME SSD on Mi Notebook Air

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series How-To Install Windows to NVME SSD on Mi Notebook Air

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Ian D
    Participant

having same issue with nvme install on air 12.5 2017 model. slow to chutdown and bootup

sometimes doesn’t see the boot drive, did anyone ever solve it?

I have only 1 drive installed the nvme one when I installed windows and now.

Serhat yavuz
    Participant

Legacy Boot-Mode I tried formatting  HELP ME

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    floorman
    Participant

Just received my Air 12 today. I bought two Samsung NVME M.2 256GB SSD, differernt series. No trouble opening the laptop thanks to the instruction video. No trouble removing the original SSD in the left slot and installing a new NVME SSD in the right slot.

I then did a clean English Windows 10 pro install. To install OS on the NVME SSD

1.Download Windows ISO using media creator tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

2.Use Rufus to create bootable USB drive

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. Follow this guide to create bootable USB drive

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

NOTE: Make sure you choose  “GPT partition scheme for UEFI“. Other guides may say choose “MBR partitiona scheme for UEFI” but it will not work.

I did put a second 256GB M.2 SSD in the left (SATA) slot (you can also leave the original 128GB M.2 there). However, to avoid installation program getting confused, I only put in the NVME SSD in the right slot when I did the clean install of Windows. Only after I am sure that Windows installation was successful, did I put in the second SSD in the left slot. Then Windows detected the second drive without any problem.

If you follow the above guide, there is no need to enter BIOS or boot menu to change the boot sequence (in order to use the bootable USB stick).

I think I did everything correctly because the boot time is very fast. ATTO disk mark:

SSD in NVME slot (Samsung SM951 MZ-VPV256)

• up to 1200Mbps write, 2100Mbps read speed

SSD in SATA slot (Samsung PM951 MZ-VLV256 – slower read speed than SM951)

• up to 310 Mbps write, 1580Mbps read speed (Does this mean the left slot is also NVME because speed is higher than SATA III???)
    floorman
    Participant

As I mentioned previously, I put in a Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe SSD into the right slot (the so-called “NVMe slot”), and put another Samsung PM951 256GB NVMe SSD into the left slot (the so-called “SATA slot”), where Xiaomi installed the original Samsung 128GB SSD MZNTY256HDHP, which is not NVMe). I am surprised that the NVMe SSD works in the left slot.

Performance data from Samsung:

SM951 – read 2150 MBps, write 1260MBps (compatible with my test 2100 / 1200)

PM951 – read 1500 MBps, write 280 MBps (compatible with my test 1500 / 300)

The read speed of 1500 MBps on the PM951 in the left slot (so-called “SATA slot”) is well over the practical speed limit (about 600 MBps ) of SATA 3.

When I use speccy to look up the motherboard information (see attached picture), it says there are 5 PCIe ports – one PCIe x4 and four PCIe x1. One PCIe x4 and one PCIe x1 ports are in use.

I presume the PCIe x4 port used is the right slot (so-called “NVMe slot”) which is occupied by my Samsung SM951 SSD as the primary drive (fresh English Win 10 Pro install).

Therefore I think the PCIe x1 port in use would be the left slot occupied by my Samsung PM951 SSD as a secondary storage drive.

I also googled about the nature of M.2 slots and found the following information:

From wikipedia: M.2 interface uses PCIe 3.0 up to 4 lanes (x4)

From tested.com: “…. a single PCIe 3.0 lane, at 8GT/s, can send 985MB/s” (this is practical not theoretical speed)

From Samsung NVME SSD FAQ:

“There are different types of M.2 slots. A “B-Key” enables SATA or PCIe NVMe SSDs using up to 2 PCIe lanes, while an “M-Key” enables NVMe SSDs with the use of up to 4 PCIe lanes.”

Therefore, I believe the left slot where Xiaomi installed the original SSD is a “B-key” M.2 slot with PCIE x1 data lane, which supports SATA or PCIe (NVMe) SSD.

Since the left slot only runs one lane of PCIe (x1), there is no point installing a fast NVMe SSD eg 2000MBps.

I am just trying to prove the point that either SATA3 or NVMe SSDs can be used in the left slot. To maximize performance, you should consider installing a fast NVMe SSD in the right slot, as the primary drive running the operating system.

Attachments:
    Vytautas
    Participant

Hey guys,

I have a little problem. I just installed new 970 evo in the second slot, I can see it in boot mode but there’s nothing in my PC. What should I do?

Attachments:
    Vytautas
    Participant

So, I everything is ok and I’m quite happy with 970 evo. It’s only 105 eur for 250gb. There are the speeds of original drive and 970. internet speed is awesome too.

Attachments:
    Pablo
    Participant

2018 Xiaomi Air 13 SSD installation

Fotis
    Participant

Hello i install an evo970 plus in my xiaomi 13.3 i5 and it is not recognised.plz help

LaniaKea
    Participant

If you want help then make an effort and give people the information they need to even conclude what machine you’re talking about.

there is numerous gen of the Mi Air, and how the Sata3/NVMe M.2 sockets operate.

or give the TIMI or bios.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password