Intel Abandons The Mobile Market, Cuts Atom Chips From Manufacturing Line

Intel Abandons The Mobile Market, Cuts Atom Chips From Manufacturing Line

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Intel Abandons The Mobile Market, Cuts Atom Chips From Manufacturing Line

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Uncle Ruckus
    Participant

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3063508/components/intel-is-on-the-verge-of-exiting-the-smartphone-and-tablet-markets-after-cutting-atom-chips.html

Earth shattering news and bad news for the mobile market.  I’m not a tremendous fan of Atom SOC’s but that doesn’t mean I’m not amazed at how well they work for the things they’re supposed to do.  I wonder how Microsoft is going to react considering Windows 10’s reliance on Atom processors for mobile market share.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Doesn’t make sense, they just announced the new Apollo Lake. Very poor article that doesn’t get its facts correct.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

sirdrak
    Participant

Intel only abandons Sophia (Atom Cherry Trail X3 with ARM chips from Rockchip) and Broxton, The ‘very very low’ Atoms for mobile and very very budget tablets. All the other Atoms works well, this is only a llamative (and very wrong) headline.

.oOOo.
    Participant

I hope Intel doesn’t stop supplying cheap processors to the Chinese manufacturers. There is a large price difference between the Atoms and the M3 processors. It would be a pity if all the cheap Chinese tablets would disappear.

Nuts
    Participant

AMD oh AMD where art thou AMD?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well thats strange to say the least. They just announce Apollo Lake but it does actually make sense. The mobile market is subsidised by Intel. They simply cannot compete with ARM. The sad thing is that you cant run Windows on ARM CPU’s so its bad for Chinese dual boot tablets. Hopefully Intel starts lowering the prices of its M3 CPU’s and makes that the minimum standard. The Atom series aswell as the quad core AMD A4 Micro are just far too weak to run Windows 8-10 smoothly. If the rumour is true then maybe they will focus on Core M, which is good. My suspicion is they wont lower the price.

On the plus side AMD would have a market they can actually dominate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar