Jide releases Remix OS 3.0 for PC – Android 6.0 Marshmallow version

Jide releases Remix OS 3.0 for PC – Android 6.0 Marshmallow version

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Jide releases Remix OS 3.0 for PC – Android 6.0 Marshmallow version

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BBaker
    Participant

http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-pc

Remix OS for PC is now based on Android 6.0 and is available to download here!
    New in this upgrade are:
    Over a dozen more laptops and desktops now supported
    System stability improved over previous versions
    Wi-Fi stability improved
    Improved user experience on multiple windows and other key features
    …and so much more…

Installing Remix OS for PC is easy as
    1, 2, 3!
    Check out our how-to video and enjoy
    Remix OS for PC!
    Chris G
    Keymaster

Nice good to see it finally move to a Android 6.0 base.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

BBaker
    Participant

I’m betting it still does not run on lots of hardware.  Still, everyone who tries it and reports their problems helps them.
    I’ll try it on my Lenovo laptop. The last version would not boot for me.  They’ll get there eventually.

BBaker
    Participant

Well I just live booted it on USB and it’s working – first time for me – I’m using it now on my cheap Lenovo notebook.  My Realtek rtl8723be wifi NIC is working too.

Next step will be to try to install it (multi-boot) beside my Win10 and LinuxMint 18.

BBaker
    Participant

<h1 class=”entry-title”>Remix OS for PC update brings Android 6.0, multi-window improvements</h1>
    Jide’s Remix OS is a customized version of Google Android designed for laptop and desktop computers. It ships on a handful of notebooks, mini PCs, and other devices, and earlier this year Jide released the first version of Remix OS for PC, allowing anyone to download the operating system and try it out on many computers with Intel or AMD chips.

Now Jide is launching a major update to Remix OS for PC. The new version is based Android 6.0 (instead of Android 5.1), and includes support for additional hardware including computers with NVIDIA and AMD graphics.

remix 3_01

The update brings the version number of the operating system up to Remix OS 3.0, and it also brings new features to one of the operating system’s hallmark features: the ability to run multiple Android apps in resizable windows that can be positioned anywhere on the screen.

Remix OS lets you run most Android apps, but the user interface includes classic Windows-style elements including a taskbar and start menu.

You can also view multiple apps at once, a feature that’s only coming to the official version of Android starting with version 7.0. Multi-window features in Remix OS are much more advanced than in Android 7.0 though, and the latest update includes a few new features including:

• There’s a new button that lets you resize a window specifically to accommodate the app’s content, so the layout shouldn’t look funky.
    • You can now drag any edge of an app window to resize it. Previously you could only do this from the top.
    • When you hit the maximize button for video apps, they’ll now run in full-screen mode, which means you won’t see a frame around the window.

If you’re already using an earlier version of Remix OS for PC, you’ll need to do a clean install to move to the new version based on Android 6.0. There’s no OTA update option yet.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Well I just live booted it on USB and it’s working – first time for me – I’m using it now on my cheap Lenovo notebook. My Realtek rtl8723be wifi NIC is working too. Next step will be to try to install it (multi-boot) beside my Win10 and LinuxMint 18.

Does it include Play Store now?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

BBaker
    Participant

Yes Play Store was there, although when I tried entering it to test installing an app, it did not recognize that I was using a new device and in the short time I was testing it, I did not discover how to add my notebook as a new Play Store device to my account.  Do you know how/where to do this?

BBaker
    Participant

Here’s a quick Youtube demo of installing it. He says you can install apps via “Remix Central” site or by side-loading apps (Android .apk files)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yaHFHkv9Hs

Peter
    Participant

And it actually runs on netbook as well.I have Lenovo ideapad s110 and it runs it ok. It is fluid but not really fast; but for that spec i hink it is quite all right. I hope Jide releases version for Hi12 soon.Than it is really going to be a perfect tablet! I also have Remix installed on my laptop and i love it so far.

BBaker
    Participant

Given it runs on the Linux 4.4 kernel I’m not surprised it runs OK on “weak” processors.  I’m using an inexpensive and comparatively weak quad-core AMD A6-6310 in my Lenovo notebook and it runs Linux Mint Mate v18 (also 4.4 kernel) very well… snappy response.  Given that Jide already supports devices using the cherry-trail Atom X5 – for example the Teclast X98 Plus, hopefully they will follow with others like the Chuwi Hi10 and Hi12.  Complicating this though is that these tablets often use different touchscreen drivers as well as other devices (WiFi, battery/power management, camera, etc.).  Given the large quantity of Atom X5-Z8300 tablets being sold, I think it’s likely that within the next year you will see better support arrive in future versions of the Linux kernel.

Tmon
    Participant

I wonder if Chuwi are shipping the Vi10 plus with Remix 3.0. And also if they are using the same digitizer from the Surface 3 for the Vi10 plus. Currently no Surface 3 touch screen drivers for Linux so I wonder how they’ve got round that one if that’s the case.

BBaker
    Participant

It works surprisingly well on my Lenovo G50 laptop. I installed it inside my Linux Mint v18 installed drive (no new partition needed, though not sure if that’s true on Windows too). It comes with Google Play Activater, and I installed a bunch of apps.  Youtube, TuneIn radio, Twitter, even the Jaxx bitcoin wallet app works.  So far every app I tried ran. The install method I used is this one – super easy/fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppJIweqFCMA.  So now I’ve got Win10, Linux Mint 18, and Remix 3.0 all running on one notebook.  No need for Android 🙂

Paul
    Participant

Can I install this on a Cube iwork 10 ultimate dual boot? I don’t care if I loose Windows 10… What would I need to do? Thanks in advance…

registradus
    Participant

At the moment the Chuwi Vi10 plus is still shipping with Remix OS 2.0. It doesn’t look like they have any plans to update it. It is pretty buggy, and freezes a lot.

I want to update to Remix OS 3.0, but can’t seem to find any instructions (that don’t assume you already have Windows installed).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password