Looking for a drawing mount for the i35

Looking for a drawing mount for the i35

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Thinker Looking for a drawing mount for the i35

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

Probably a long shot given the relatively small community that uses this wonderful device. But here goes.

I’m really loving the screen and stylus features for this laptop. But the poor design of the i35 makes it very awkward to draw with. A full hinge on this device would have made it perfect. So I’ve been looking for a way to clamp the screen securely enabling incremental adjustments to be made to the angle of the screen to make drawing on the device a lot easier.

So far I can only find laptop mounts that hold the keyboard securely in place and not the screen. So was wondering whether anyone had similar needs and had found a practical solution for it.

Patrick
    Participant

This tablet stand seemed ideal at first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AboveTEK-Rotating-Commercial-Business-Reception/dp/B073WHV11Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=abovetek+pos+tablet+stand&qid=1560004959&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Until I realised that whilst it says it accommodates up to 13.5 inch devices. it can only accommodate width wise up to 9.6 inches. Width size is the important factor of course, since you cannot remove the keyboard from the screen. Width of i35 is around 12.32 inches.

I figure I could use a normal laptop stand but upside down, with the screen resting in the spot where the keyboard normally rests. But with few to none of those types of stands offering any kind of screen (back) support I’m concerned the weight of the bottom (keyboard) part of the i35 could put unnecessary strain on the screen hinge. But short of making one myself I’m beginning to think this is the only real solution available for the i35.

Kyle Battle
    Participant

Hi Patrick,

I read your post with interest – others have also lamented the fact that the i35 doesn’t have that 360 “yoga”-type hinge (it’s always something, isn’t it? 🙂 ). I remember one reader here pointing out that you could simply lay the screen down on the table top and then position the body (keyboard) at about 90 – 100 degrees and the laptop will remain perfectly still as you draw on the screen, so that’s one way to draw on a perfectly flat screen. However it sounds like you’re looking for a different solution where the screen could be angled upwards as well as lying flat?

Patrick
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

Yeah, I think I’m going for the laptop mount but placing it upside down eventually. However for now, simply holding the laptop like a book in portrait mode in my lap seems to be a reasonably way of holding it for sketching purposes.

Of course it’s not a perfect solution if you need to use tools like rulers or if you want to draw in landscape mode. But the laptop is a comfortable enough weight to make this a very doable option for most artists. Most of my current drawing is outdoors anyway. I think I’ll eventually just splash out on a large Cintiq or Huion screen once the frustration to go further begins to set in.

The i35 really is a very good screen for drawing for the price. The only other slight drawback is the fully laminated (slippery) screen, which just means you have to adjust your pressure levels to suit the surface better. Frankly it’s a price I’m willing to pay for such a beautiful screen.

I also highly recommend an MS Surface pen rather than any third party pens. I get the best fluid drawing with the MS pen than I do with other ones, including Wacom. It seems the MS pens are just better calibrated for the screen and touch technology built into the i35.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar