M3-7Y30 power consumption on idle?

M3-7Y30 power consumption on idle?

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro M3-7Y30 power consumption on idle?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anthony 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anthony
    Participant

<p>Hello everybody! Just received my Teclast F6 Pro. I’m happy with everything with it so far, but one thing that is bugging me is the power consumption of the core m3-7Y30 on idle. ThrottleStop and HWInfo both show the CPU package idling at 0.8W, whereas on my friends m3-5Y10c it would idle at 0.2W.</p><p>It could make a major difference to battery life, so I’m wondering about the idle consupmiton of the m3-7Y30. Could anybody share a screenshot of HWInfo? Like this one in the attachments</p>

Anthony
    Participant

<p>Hmm, my first posts on this wobsite. THe attachment doesn’t seem to have worked the first time. </p>

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi,

This seems correct to the 7Y30 Vs the old 5Y10 has a much better GPU and various other tweaks that do use more power on idle as a trade off. You can try undervolting a little to help offset this with Intel XTU or Throttlestop.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: ONE-NETBOOK One Mix 2S & AllDoCube X
    Currently testing: Chuwi Hi9 Plus + Keyboard, Mi Mix 3

Anthony
    Participant

Hmm ok. Could anybody share a screenshot of their Throttle C state window? I believe this is the culprit – the 7Y30 cannot go to a Pacackage C state lower than C2. There is a lot of power to saved simply by switching to C7, C8, or even C10. Teclasst has this option unlocked in the BIOS, butu it seems to be a driver than pprevents the CPU package from entering into a deeper sleep state.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Anthony
    Participant

OK, I just found the cause of the issue. The generic Teclast 128GB SATA SSD has a bug where it does not allow the CPU Package to enter a C-State lower than C8. The potential power saving is huge – up to 25% power consumption reduction during idle.

I have ordered a Transcend 128GB SSD, which will hopefully mitigate this issue. I will report in three weeks time, as I have a school tour and will not be able to receive the SSD.

@chris did you do your battery life testing/review with your 256GB SSD or the one that came with the laptop? I’m able to comfortably get 7-8hrs of use with this bug – with this new SSD I might be able to push 9 or even 10hrs.

The power savings from entering C2 to C8 is huge and cannot be ignored. Porhaps I just got a faulty SSD…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password