Manjaro Linux – EzBook 3 Pro (sanDisk emmc) INSTALLATION GUIDE – Customization

Manjaro Linux – EzBook 3 Pro (sanDisk emmc) INSTALLATION GUIDE – Customization

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Manjaro Linux – EzBook 3 Pro (sanDisk emmc) INSTALLATION GUIDE – Customization

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dimitrios
    Participant

Assuming that you want to install Manjaro as the sole OS on your EzBook 3 pro (sanDisk emmc version):

Before we begin 

1. Fully charged EzBook 3 Pro (better to be plugged in)
    2. One usd memory stick with at least 8gb space
    3. One usb memory stick (even the smallest one)
    4. Wifi network

Preparation of  USBs

1. Download refind (https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/files/0.11.2/refind-flashdrive-0.11.2.zip/download) o.11.2 and use Etcher (https://etcher.io) to burn it to the smaller capacity USB memory stick.
    2. Download Manjaro XFCE Edition (17.1.2) (https://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/) and use Etcher to burn it to the bigger capacity USB.
    3. In both cases select GTP partition table.

Instalation 

1. Insert both usbs into Ezbook ports.
    2. Boot and press F7
    3. Sellect to boot from select the rEFInd USB drive partition 1 and in the rEFInd boot screen select  the Linux icon labelled MJRO1712 (depending on the edition of manjaro you have downloaded).
    4. Do NOT press enter. Press f2 TWO times and edit the line so that boot parameters look like this
      misobasedir=manjaro misolabel=MJRO1712 linux=boot\vmlinuz-x86_64 initrd=boot\initramfs-x86_64.img
      the MJRO17xx part depends on the version you have downloaded, so append accordingly (i.e. for manjaro 17.1.1 write MJRO1711).
    5. Press enter to boot into manjaro desktop. If the trackpad doesn’ t work reboot, enter BIOS, exit without changing anything and repeat steps 2 to 4.
    6. Connect to Wifi and start the installation guide.
    7. Choose custom partition and delete all partitions.
    8. (Assuming that you will install on the emmc) Use GTP partition table and create a 512mb fat32 partition with mount point /boot/efi and flag it as esp. Create a partition for root (mine is 25gb ext4), mount at / and flag it as root, create a linuxswap partition (mine is 6gb) and finally create a /home partition (mine is ext4) and mount at /home. Follow the rest of the procedure and finish installation.
    9. Reboot and remove manjaro USB. At boot press F7 and select rEFInd USB drive partition 1 and in the rEFInd boot screen select  the linux (booting from your 512mb efi partition).
    10. log in, open add/remove software and search for refind-efi. 
    11. Install it, exit add/remove software, open terminal and type “refind-install“, give your su password and press enter.
    12. remove rEFInd usb and reboot.

Thats It!!!!!

Fully working linux system………..!!!!!
      Wifi works, touchpad works with multitouch (tweak the setting for tap to click and cursor speed).

In the next posts. I will try to write some suggestions for customization and power tweaking.

Big Thanks to Brad and his thread (https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/how-to-install-manjaro-linux-on-jumper-ezbook-3-pro-v4/) !!!!!!!

Dimitrios
    Participant

Ok ….
    after a bit of tweaking we are at the state of the attached pictures. Since I am a mac user at work, all my linux systems (3 so far) are all customized to imitate the os x look and feel :

Laptop runs fine and really super fast.
    Bluetooth, wlan, camera, trackpad (two finger scrolling, one and two finger tapping),  sound, mics, brightness and fn shortcuts, sensors, and all ports work fine (haven’ t tested hdmi yet). No keyboard lag of any kind, no problem with pressing multiple keys at the same time. CPU freq scales fine and temps are very low (during writing this post cpu is at 32 Celsius)
    Battery life is at about 5-6 hours with browsing and libre office, but I haven’t tweaked tlp yet, so better  run times are possible. (TLP -UI seems to not be able to change-save settings and I have to find a way to boot with disabled bluetooth and not have to manually disable it everytime I boot).

Booting into the desktop with conky, docky, dropbox running i use about 600 mb of ram.

Overall, I am impressed with how much stable and fast this little machine is (so far), although I am a bit scared from what I read in other threads.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kalle
    Participant

Ok …. after a bit of tweaking we are at the state of the attached pictures. Since I am a mac user at work, all my linux systems (3 so far) are all customized to imitate the os x look and feel : Laptop runs fine and really super fast. Bluetooth, wlan, camera, trackpad (two finger scrolling, one and two finger tapping), sound, mics, brightness and fn shortcuts, sensors, and all ports work fine (haven’ t tested hdmi yet). No keyboard lag of any kind, no problem with pressing multiple keys at the same time. CPU freq scales fine and temps are very low (during writing this post cpu is at 32 Celsius) Battery life is at about 5-6 hours with browsing and libre office, but I haven’t tweaked tlp yet, so better run times are possible. (TLP -UI seems to not be able to change-save settings and I have to find a way to boot with disabled bluetooth and not have to manually disable it everytime I boot). Booting into the desktop with conky, docky, dropbox running i use about 600 mb of ram. Overall, I am impressed with how much stable and fast this little machine is (so far), although I am a bit scared from what I read in other threads.

How about Wifi? I use Manjaro 17.1.1 with XFCE. My school is part of eduroam, and the machine keeps disconnecting and reconnecting a lot and it takes serveral minutes sometimes to connect. I don’t have this problem at my home network though. On Windows 10 and Linux Mint I didn’t have this issue at school.

Dimitrios
    Participant

I only had one problem with a wlan connection.
    I was at the offices of a bar association (yes I am a Lawyer) and i couldn’ t connect to their wlan.
    I suspect the problemhad to do with their password (it was their telephone number).

Other than that… the wlan connections are excellent (range, stability and speedwise).

Dimitrios
    Participant

Ok…now the much dreaded touchpad has multi-gestures in manjaro linux (three and for fingers – pinch).
    GUIDE (for newbies):
    1. Open pacman, go to preferences and then AUR and enable AUR.
    2.search for libinput-gestures and install.
    3.Open terminal and give
    sudo gpasswd -a $USER input
    to put yourself in the input group.

Log out and log in again

4. Open terminal and give
    libinput-gestures-setup start

libinput-gestures-setup autostart

4. default settings are for natural move on touchpad. If you want to change to (what i call) normal or add gestures or remove gestures then:

open file manager , select to show hidden files, go to /etc , find the file libinput-gestures.conf and copy/paste  it to /home/YOUR USER NAME/.config/ folder. Make any changes you want to the  libinput-gestures.conf file in your  /home/YOUR USER NAME/.config/ folder and reboot.

Dimitrios
    Participant

BEAUTIFICATION GUIDE – USEFUL APPS

Plain and simple: Manjaro is great……. but F.UGLY. I mean its a pain for the eyes. So lets try to change that.

1. Enable AUR: Open Pacman-> preferences -> AUR-> enable AUR support.
    2. Fonts: Install noto fonts
    3. Style: Install osx-arc-plus
    4. Icons: Install elementary-xfce-icons
    5. Dock: install docky
    6. System info: install conky and conky-manager
    7. USEFUL APPS: This depends solely on how you use the laptop and what you want. However, there are some apps I consider universally useful:
      For media consumption : clementine, audacius, spotify. For torrents (hmmmm…) deluge. For better flash videos flashplugin.
    8. After the installation finishes, go to settings manager -> appearance and in style choose OSX-Arc-Plus, in icons choose elementary Xfce darker, in fonts choose Noto Sans UI , enable anti-aliasing, hinting full, sub-pixel order RGB.
    9. Return to All settings and select desktop. In icons tab choose what you want to appear on the desktop and size of the icons (I prefer a clean desktop).
    10. Return to All settings and open Preferred Applications. go to Utilities tab and at the file manager press on Thunar , select other and type “thunar” (NO CAPITAL T and this is very important).
    11. Return to All settings, go to windows manager and in Style select OSX-Arc-White and then adjust the button layout as you see fit.
    12. Return to All settings, go to Window Manager Tweaks and in Compositor DESELECT Show shadows under dock windows.
    13. Close settings manager, right click on the panel, choose panel and open panel preferences. Untick Lock panel and drag the panel from the end right to where you want it to sit (I prefer the top). Tick lock panel again and close.
    14. Go to menu and type docky .The dock will open click on the first icon to the left to enter preferences and choose Start when user logs in. Customize the appearance to your liking. Close and drag from the menu any apps that you want to sit on the dock.
    15. Go to menu and type conky. Open the conky manager and select the theme you want and customize it.

Thats it!!!
    Basic beautification over!!!!!!!

Kalle
    Participant

Ok…now the much dreaded touchpad has multi-gestures in manjaro linux (three and for fingers – pinch). GUIDE (for newbies): 1. Open pacman, go to preferences and then AUR and enable AUR. 2.search for libinput-gestures and install. 3. Open terminal and give libinput-gestures-setup start libinput-gestures-setup autostart 4. default settings are for natural move on touchpad. If you want to change to (what i call) normal or add gestures or remove gestures then: open file manager , select to show hidden files, go to /etc , find the file libinput-gestures.conf and copy/paste it to /home/YOUR USER NAME/.config/ folder. Make any changes you want to the libinput-gestures.conf file in your /home/YOUR USER NAME/.config/ folder and reboot.

Tried this, any ideas?

[CODE]

[name@name-pc-jumper ~]$ libinput-gestures-setup start
    libinput-gestures started.
    [name@name-pc-jumper ~]$ Failed to open /dev/input/event5 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event3 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event4 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event9 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event10 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event11 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event12 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event13 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event7 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event8 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event15 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event14 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event1 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event2 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event0 (Permission denied)
    Failed to open /dev/input/event6 (Permission denied)
    Can not see any devices, did you add yourself to the input group and log out/in?
    Could not determine touchpad device.
    ^C
    [name@name-pc-jumper ~]$
    [name@name-pc-jumper ~]$ sudo libinput-gestures-setup start
    Non-installation commands must be run as your own user.
    [name@name-pc-jumper ~]$

[/CODE]

Dimitrios
    Participant

open terminal and give
    sudo gpasswd -a $USER input
    to put yourself in the input group.

reboot .

Michel
    Participant

I am unable to boot this distro from USB.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi,

Thanks to this guide, it work well to launch Manjaro but with my Ezbook 3 pro v5 (09/30/2017 bios) touchpad won’t work 🙁

Tested in live usb with Manjaro 17.1.8 and kernel 4.14.37

Touchpad work on your Manjaro install/live ?

martin h
    Participant

@devzero, this kernel version of manjaro tends to not work out of the box with the touchpad. This tweak worked for me (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics). However, I recommend to go with a lightweight flavour of Ubuntu 18.04 (Budgie or XFCE), doesn’t require rEFInd anymore and touchpad works out of the box.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar