Mi Notebook Pro dead after 13 months

Mi Notebook Pro dead after 13 months

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series Mi Notebook Pro dead after 13 months

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  felince 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

retro_ute
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I have bought a Xiaomi (Mi) Notebook Pro a little more than one year ago from gearbest. Yesterday I realized there was an odd smell coming from the notebook. However the notebook itself was not hot, just the normal operating temperature. The notebook was working perfectly normal. So I didnt care about it much first but today it was completely dead. I opened it and found that one of the integrated circuits (*edit its probably a capacitor or resistor) got too hot. Please see the screenshots attached. This particular device has no active cooling so I wonder what could have happened here. The print on the device is burned so I cannot look it up on google. I doubt that there is any warranty from gearbest so I won’t even try…

So my questions here:

• Is there any way of repairing it? It has only two wires so there might be some chance to fix it by welding in some new device
    • Can anybody tell me the specifications of this device? Also only the print would be helpful
    • Do you know of anybody who had the same issue?
    • How can such a thing happen? How high are the chances of having a damaged device?

Best regards

retro.ute

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi,

Not good and very rare this happened. Your best bet would be a repair shop that does this kind of work.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

retro_ute
    Participant

Hi Chris G,

thanks for your reply. I did some more research and found out that the component is most probably a shunt resistor or maybe a simple resistor. So if only the resistor is fried chances are pretty good to replace it and repair the notebook. The resistor might be somehow related to the notebook’s current supply but that’s only a guess.

Does anybody know about the print on the component? Is anybody about to replace his SSD?

By the way I am still wondering how this could happen. Hardware virus? Stuxnet like conspiracy? Or  the one damaged resistor in 1.000.000.000? I did not use my notebook heavily and i cannot recall any mechanical damage.

Best regards,

retro.ute

felince
    Participant

Just bad luck with one defective component, no reason to overthink it. Take it to a PC repair shop and pray it is not too expensive.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password