Mi Notebook Pro fans replacement

Mi Notebook Pro fans replacement

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series Mi Notebook Pro fans replacement

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Poks
    Participant

Hi,

I have had Mi Notebook Pro for about 3 and a half months now. About 2 weeks ago the right fan (looking from the user’s perspective, so the one under the power button) started rattling. I have since come to learn, that this is quite a common problem in this laptop. Does anyone have any idea where I could find a replacement part? I have searched the internet like crazy but haven’t yet been able to find it.

Ferdinand Olah
    Participant

Hi

No need to replace the fans. A friend of mine recommended a product for getting rid of the rattling noise, which worked wonders in my case.
    It is lithium grease, that costs about 4 dollar a pound, you can buy it in any auto parts-, or DIY store. You have to apply a really tiny amount, where the arrow points to, then put the fan back in its place. And that’s it.

Been using it for about a month now and it is completely silent.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Poks
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I will try your technique (probably tomorrow). I guess I am a bit pessimistic about how long it will last though. It’s really quite a shame, that Xiaomi doesn’t make replacement parts for their most expensive machine widely available.

Ferdinand Olah
    Participant

It will last, don’t worry. As for the fan that is rattling, it is not a faulty part whatsoever, notebook manufacturers just tend to spare with lubricants. Ff you could buy a brand new fan, that would still be rattling after 1-2-3-4 months of use. Our notebook has a magnetic levitation fan, there is no moving parts in it like bearings, so you just have to give the fans some extra padding in order to operate silently.

sere83
    Participant

Hi No need to replace the fans. A friend of mine recommended a product for getting rid of the rattling noise, which worked wonders in my case. It is lithium grease, that costs about 4 dollar a pound, you can buy it in any auto parts-, or DIY store. You have to apply a really tiny amount, where the arrow points to, then put the fan back in its place. And that’s it. Been using it for about a month now and it is completely silent.

Thanks for this tip, is it still working?

Ferdinand Olah
    Participant

Yeah, the fans operate silently.

sere83
    Participant

Yeah, the fans operate silently.

Amazing, did you do both fans? Are the fans hard to disassemble and add the lithium grease too? Apart from an SSD upgrade I have not messed with much laptop hardware.

Ferdinand Olah
    Participant

Amazing, did you do both fans? Are the fans hard to disassemble and add the lithium grease too? Apart from an SSD upgrade I have not messed with much laptop hardware.

Yes, I applied lithium grease to both of the fans, I figured since I already opened up my laptop, might as well do both, not just the one that grinds. Not hard at all, if you’ve already removed the bottom plate, its only 4 additional screws on each side of the fan. The fan blade itself is held in place by magnets. Be careful to lift the fan perpendicular the the laptop and dont bend it.

Report back how it went!

Marc
    Participant

@Ferdinand Olah

Should I use lithium grease that is sold in a tube or in a spray? Thanks !

Ferdinand Olah
    Participant

I used lithium grease from a tube, you only have to apply a really small amount, like ‘tip-of-the-toothpick’ small.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password