Mi Notebook Pro GTX hot chassis while charging and battery life

Mi Notebook Pro GTX hot chassis while charging and battery life

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series Mi Notebook Pro GTX hot chassis while charging and battery life

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    diedenieded
    Participant

I was charging the laptop today while it was shut down and the metal chassis got really warm. It was warm throughout the chassis, not a single zone of heat like the place above the keyboard during normal use. It did cool down when I turned the laptop on. Should I be worried, or it is a fast charging thing.

Also, how’s the battery life on your laptops? I did a test and got 3 hours under medium? ( Sublime Text and 3 Chrome tabs for 2 hours, 1-1:30 hours of mkv playback, few minutes of installing stuff, MSI Afterburner and RTSS in background) usage. My laptop is brand new with a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro with all the drivers from the Mi website. I’ve also heard the original Chinese image gives you better battery life, so I might test it out later.

Looking forward to a reply.

Noel Horváth
    Participant

I don’t think that is normal that its hot while its charging turned off .Maybe you didn’t shut it down properly ?.And when you turned on i assume the fans cooled it down.At the top above the keyboard its normal that’s its warmer or hotter than other area because the exhaust is there (between the hinges ) and also the cpu and gpu heats up that area as well during high usage.If its warm then i think its okay while it’s turned off , but if its hot, then i guess its , because fast charging or idk (and also its normal for the charger to be hot ,but not extremely hot) .As far as i know there are no available original win image for the GTX version, but believe me it doesn’t make a difference.The installation of right drivers and usage of the right configurations in windows and other things can drastically improve your battery life.If you have installed the drivers from official mi website then might as well you can update them there are several programs for getting the newest driver updates.Here are some tips for battery saving:         Disable some windows service , debloat windows, disable some windows settings for example like :which apps can run in the background.Configure windows settings like startup programs disable some that you don’t need at startup.Use battery saving and change advanced power settings(for example: you can create a new power saving plan and use that when you dont need much power, during light usage , there you can set the maximum cpu frequency or max. cpu state to a lower value).Undervolt cpu and igpu (for that use throttlestop instead of xtu + throttlestop has more settings which you can play with,for example you can create profiles for performance mode or power saving).Configure intel gpu settings for battery saving.Disable “Continue running apps when Google Chrome is closed” option .Disable cpu turbo if not needed when you are doing light tasks like watching videos/movies … etc.  .Using brightness between 0%-50% doesn’t make much difference ,but further than that the consumption is much higher…… etc. Here you can find these with more details: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-improving-battery-life-on-windows-enabling-deeper-c-states.815602/

diedenieded
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I guess the chassis is around 45 degrees while charging while shut down. I did discharge the battery to <10% so it might be the fast charging at work. I will test power off charging with different battery percentages to check if the issue persists.</p>
    Otherwise great advice! Thank you!

Noel Horváth
    Participant

45 degrees are not hot imo , its rather warm .Thats normal.I thought it was higher .I’m glad that i could have helped.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar