Mi Notebook Pro – How To – 70Hz Screen

Mi Notebook Pro – How To – 70Hz Screen

TechTablets Forums Xiaomi Discussion Mi Notebook Air series Mi Notebook Pro – How To – 70Hz Screen

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ferdinand Olah 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Tom
    Participant

Hello everyone
    Thanks to the great work of ToastyX over we can slightly improve the refresh rate of Mi Pro’s internal monitor. And since the Mi Gaming uses the same screen hardware-wise, it might be possible to do the same on that laptop.

1. Upgrade Intel graphics drivers to 15.36 or higher.
    I am running 24.20, official Windows 10 April Update Launch Driver. Please follow this guide for any problems you may have: https://www.howtogeek.com/343287/how-to-fix-the-driver-being-installed-is-not-validated-for-this-computer-on-intel-computers/
    2. Download the latest CRU from https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU. Currently using 1.39-beta.
    3. Open with admin rights CRU.exe.
    4. Under “Detailed Resolutions”, click add. My panel is stable at 70Hz with the follwing timing. You might be able to achieve higher refresh rates with different timings. If so, please share your findings.

5. After adding the custom resolution, OK, reboot.
    6. On Desktop, Display Settings, at the bottom “Advanced Display Settings”, again at the bottom “Display adaptor properties for XYZ”. Under the tab “Monitor”, select 70Hz (or any other refresh rate previously set in CRU).

7. Apply.
    8. Hopefully it worked! If the image is not stable or artifacts are present, refresh rate is too high.

I have the i5 / 8GB / 256GB model, BIOS 502, running Win 10 1803 with all latest updates (13/05/18)

Chris G
    Keymaster

Confirmed working on my Mi Gaming Laptop & Mi Notebook Pro, 72hz is fine anything over it not stable. Great post!

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast F5, Mi Pad 4 Plus, i7 8750H / 1050 Ti Gaming laptop (MSI GL63-8RD)
    Currently testing: Mi Notebook and Chuwi Lapbook SE

Chris G
    Keymaster

@shared-knowledge I wonder if long term this is good for the hardware to be running 10hz faster?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast F5, Mi Pad 4 Plus, i7 8750H / 1050 Ti Gaming laptop (MSI GL63-8RD)
    Currently testing: Mi Notebook and Chuwi Lapbook SE

Michael Saldana
    Participant

Yeah I have this running on my Mi Notebook Pro, It’s great! Haven’t pushed it past 70hz as I’m not so sure how bad it would be for the screen in the long run

Tom
    Participant

@shared-knowledge I wonder if long term this is good for the hardware to be running 10hz faster?

I do not have enough knowledge on the topic to provide you with a fully informed answer.
    What I can say is that a lot of users, including me, have been running their desktpo screen overclocked for a few years without any issues. While the desktop screen has a different panel and different display connection standard, I do not think running the screen slightly out of spec might reduce its lifespan significantly.

airbites
    Participant

Higher screen refreshing – faster discharges the battery in the tablet, laptop.

Dario
    Participant

the difference is big ? and the battery will drain after 70hz modifiy ?

Ferdinand Olah
    Participant

A friend of mine reflected on this ‘monitor OC’ possibility (he works in a notebook repair shop and is very good at it), but he said without proper precautions, the IPS panel won’t live too long. I try to translate his opinion as best as I could, but I’m not entirely familiar with the jargon:

‘Yes, it’s possible to overclock the panel to 70 Hz, even 75 Hz if it doesn’t show any artifacts, but in this case the COF-controller must be led out to the rear side of the panel casing, if its material is metal, but if plastic you have to stick in a thin copper pad in order to lead away the emergent warmth, otherwise the IPS panel won’t live too long.”

Just his two cents.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password