Mix Plus Power Limit Throttling

Mix Plus Power Limit Throttling

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Mix Plus Power Limit Throttling

Tagged: 

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Amit.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ecko
    Participant

Hi guys,

After doing Chris’ thermal mod, temps went down a whole lot, typically not going any higher than 72c.
    However some games still don’t run very well. And after having a look in Intel XTU, I noticed that Power Limit Throttling is the culprit mostly.

What does PLT do exactly?
    Has anyone managed to disable it? Or at least configured it so PLT doesn’t turn on as fast?

Algorithm
    Participant

Power limit throttling by default occurs when the total power used by the cpu and internal gpu exceeds specific amount (I think it is 7w by default).  This can be raised in the bios at the expense of more heat and less battery life when on load (but higher framerates etc for games)

ecko
    Participant

Power limit throttling by default occurs when the total power used by the cpu and internal gpu exceeds specific amount (I think it is 7w by default). This can be raised in the bios at the expense of more heat and less battery life when on load (but higher framerates etc for games)

I checked with XTU and the package TDU is mostly 5watt, unless that’s exactly what it’s throttling.
    Do you know where in the bios I need to look to put the limit higher? Battery life really doesn’t matter, as I only play games when I have an external power source.

Algorithm
    Participant

It is in the following

power management control
    Platform PL1 Power
    Platform PL2 Power
    Power Limit 4

DPTF Configuration
    Minimum power limit default, Limit 0,1,2

Check the current settings and adjust accordingly

You can also use XTU for this and turn on XTU interface and Watchdog in bios (This will then enable you to change in XTU and will work on every reboot I think)

ecko
    Participant

It is in the following power management control Platform PL1 Power Platform PL2 Power Power Limit 4 DPTF Configuration Minimum power limit default, Limit 0,1,2 Check the current settings and adjust accordingly You can also use XTU for this and turn on XTU interface and Watchdog in bios (This will then enable you to change in XTU and will work on every reboot I think)

Do you know where I can find the settings so I can change it in XTU? Would rather have all the config done in one place

Algorithm
    Participant

Once you enable XTU interface in the bios, then XTU should show some further settings.

I have a zip file here which has some screenshots (This was from some other user who decided to go to the extreme, I advise this is not done, unless you want an exploding Cube) 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b91es1igujzma5i/BIOS%20SETTINGS%20OPTIMUM.zip?raw=1

ecko
    Participant

Once you enable XTU interface in the bios, then XTU should show some further settings. I have a zip file here which has some screenshots (This was from some other user who decided to go to the extreme, I advise this is not done, unless you want an exploding Cube) ? https://www.dropbox.com/s/b91es1igujzma5i/BIOS%20SETTINGS%20OPTIMUM.zip?raw=1

Couldn’t find the XTU interface, because I didn’t have overclocking enabled.
    And just want a little more ‘oomph’ when gaming, nothing extreme as this …maniac

ecko
    Participant

Haven’t gotten much further past 2 days. It still sits around 5w powerdraw, although XTU doesn’t show the power draw is limited.
    I did notice in the BIOS however the package TDP is still limited to 4.5w, with no way for me to change that as far as I’ve seen. (Found this in Advanced -> power & performance -> CPU -> View/Configure Turbo Options)

I’ll keep looking for answers, but any help is appreciated

Dhr. Jeep
    Participant

Any update on this? I would like to tey it too

Amit
    Participant

check on this forum , some one managed to go to 25 w from 4.5 lol.

though that is dangerous . but upto 7 should be safe with a good speedboost .

use trial and error.

Ask chris for help but dont try solo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar