Onda V919 Core M died. Won't turn on, won't charge.

Onda V919 Core M died. Won't turn on, won't charge.

TechTablets Forums Onda Forums v919 3G Core M Discussion Onda V919 Core M died. Won't turn on, won't charge.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GnatGoSplat
    Participant

Had my Onda V919 Core M almost a year and a half and loved it.  Normally, I use Windows, but I decided to boot into Android.  Hadn’t used Android in awhile, so I had it downloading updates and was just browsing the list of apps needing updates on the Play Store.  Suddenly, the screen went black and the tablet lost power.  I pressed power button, but nothing happened.  Held down power button for around 10-seconds.  Orange LED lit up, then shut off.  Tablet stayed dead.  Tried it again, same thing.  Tried it a 3rd time, nothing, no LED.  Plugged it into power, nothing.  Only sign of life I see is the LED is lit orange constantly, but very dimly.  Nothing gets warm and the power brick doesn’t either, so doesn’t seem like it’s using any power.  The tablet had 38% battery life when it suddenly died, if I recall correctly.

Tried holding down the power button for 5-full minutes and nothing.  Tried holding down all combinations of the 3 buttons and nothing.

Anyone seen this before?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Not seen it, I had a lot of issues with my V919 Core M ending up returning it.

Maybe try and open it and disconnect the battery and plug it back in and then let it charge overnight.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

GnatGoSplat
    Participant

Not seen it, I had a lot of issues with my V919 Core M ending up returning it. Maybe try and open it and disconnect the battery and plug it back in and then let it charge overnight.

I was hesitant to open it, because a lot of these things that snap together just aren’t exactly the same after they’ve been apart.  So I let the battery drain, waited till no more dim glow from the LED.  Then I plugged it in and now it’s able to charge properly, LED is normal red/orange as when charging.  I let it charge till it turned green, which it did after several hours.  So now it charges normally, but still wouldn’t turn on and no signs of life other than charging.  If I press and hold the power button for a long time (10-20 seconds) and then press it again, the LED will light up orange for a few seconds.  The LED behavior is what it normally does before the screen turns on and it boots normally.  However, now it won’t boot at all.  Nothing happens.  No screen backlight comes on, nothing on the screen, and it’s not a fried backlight because I shined a bright light into the screen and don’t see anything.  I tried plugging HDMI into an external monitor, and nothing there either.

How does a tablet with corrupt BIOS behave?  Just wondering because a few minutes before it died, I did boot into Android from Windows, which I think writes something into the BIOS flash chip since it always remembers last OS booted.  I wonder if it corrupted something when writing the boot OS to flash chip.  Does the backlight turn on if a BIOS is corrupt?  Can it still charge with a corrupt BIOS?

GnatGoSplat
    Participant

I opened it and unplugged the battery, but that didn’t help.  I bought a SOIC-8 adapter thinking maybe the BIOS got corrupted somehow (I assumed it writes to BIOS every time dual boot is changed to the other OS).  However, my program won’t read the chip, says voltage overload.  Did you ever need to flash the BIOS?  I don’t know if I should try using a different device, or if I need to unsolder the power pin (assuming the overload is due to the programmer trying to power up everything on the same Vcc).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar