Permanent CPU power limit throttling at 399mhz

Permanent CPU power limit throttling at 399mhz

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Permanent CPU power limit throttling at 399mhz

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Algorithm
    Participant

For quite some time now, my cube mix plus has been powered off and not used.
    decided to turn it on and it was undercharged (did not turn on)  connecting it via usb c power delivery charger eventually i was able to turn the device on and it started charging.

I started installing the windows updates and then after approximately half an hour decided to run hardware info to monitor cpu temps
    (i had previously done the thermal mod and performance was great with emulation such as ppsspp running full speed no issues)

What i noticed is that cpu speed was fixed to 399mhz and would sometimes get to 400mhz  (could this be related to the windows updates or some overheating due to windows update and charging damaging one of the components?

I tried the following

Toggling various performance settings in power options but to no avail
    Uninstalling DPTF drivers (This did actually all of a suddent raise the boundary to 999mhz. but did not improve at that)
    Disabled DPTF in bios and rebooting..   Same issue

In intel XTU it was reported that there was a constant power limit throttle occuring and according to HW info indeed the IA cores were using nearly 4w of power (even when running at 300mhz or 900mhz)

I decided to install ubuntu…  very long install which got me worried that the issue was persisting.

What could be the case here?

Now i have a laptop that is as powerful as a first generation atom or so.  ppssp runs at half the speed… damn

I noticed that my bios settings seemed to have been reverted to default (as i had previously set undervolting in bios but this was cleared)  could this have somewhat reset the device to some setting that interferes with the cpu going up in speed?

Installing ubuntu at the moment. Will report back.

Algorithm
    Participant

Ok after a very long sluggish time installing Ubuntu, I got into the desktop, tested a few applications and emulators and checked the cpu scaling and all works perfectly

It seems there was a recent issue with a windows update causing some issues overload of power in a device causing the power limit throttling.  Anyone else had this issue on windows 10?

Chris G
    Keymaster

I’ve not noticed it at all. Wasn’t thermal throttling?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Algorithm
    Participant

Definitely was not thermal throttling.  cpu temps were at around 60c.    Unless somewhat my bios settings got cleared (as I did not use the device for some time and I noticed my undervolting in bios was gone) and it confused windows somewhat.   But at 399mhz and using 4w in IA section for HW Monitor seems a bit too much.  Perhaps CPU voltage was too high by default? did not check that

On Ubuntu no issues at all, (But took a very very long time to install) so perhaps after installation it reinitialised and cores started scaling well after

Chris G
    Keymaster

Must have been the voltage, something that forced it into that mode. Never see that before. Maybe a bios reset would help also for Windows and fix it?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Algorithm
    Participant

It could very well be.  Some settings in the bios seemed to have definitely changed. (I guess the device being undercharged and not used for a few months was the culprit) – Date and time in the bios was also reset as well as previous undervolt settings.

No issue when I kept the same bios settings as above and installed Ubuntu (although as mentioned previously, I am sure during the installation process, the cpu was still locked to 399mhz as everything was sluggish and took a lot longer (x4 at least) then when I had installed it previously.   When Ubuntu did finish installing and rebooted, was back to its speed and working well.

With my previous windows install, It more than likely was windows getting mixed up with the changes and combined with windows update the problem was caused.

Will set the bios settings as they were (after clearing to defaults) and reinstall windows at some point today.

Algorithm
    Participant

Ok here are my findings.

I set bios to defaults and set all core offsets to -50

I installed a non-bloatware edition of windows 10 pro this time (containing all updates till the end of march). (rather than the default Win10 home that came with the device.
    GFX was set to max performance in power settings in windows.

Upon installing all drivers (and not using windows update to update further) I inspected temperatures on Idle using hardware monitor. This was when it was approximately at 60% battery and not connected to the charger.

IDLE RESULTS
    ————
    IA, GT LLC/Ring offset and system agent offsets were displaying as -0.051 which is around right as i set these on the bios

VID #0 and #1 was showing as 0.530 on average

Idle temperatures during the start approximately 36c

Power in total was 0.60 on average consisting of the below values on average
    IA Cores=0.12, GT=0.00, Uncore=0.30. Dram=0.18

CPU utilisation was at around 2-3%. Clocks would be freely adjusted between 898-2596mhz
    Current voltages showing as 7.702v

Then i decided to run the PPSSPP (PSP emulator running a good testcase that uses quite some resources from the system (god of war – chains of olympus)

These were the findings when set ingame to one of the scenes

PPSSPP – INGAME
    —————

VID #0 and #1 was showing as 0.612 on average
    Temperature was around 50-52c
    Average total power usage was 3.29 on average consisting of the below values on average
    IA cores=1.00, GT=0.90. Uncore=1.15, Dram=1.24

Cpu utilisation was at around 50% on average. Again clocks would change between 898-2596 where required.

Then i decided to use the maximum speed option in PPSSPP using the same scene, (This forces fastest emulation possibile unlocking the 60fps cap)

Results were as follows

PPSSPP – INGAME (60fps uncap – Max frame rate possible)
    ——————————————————–

VID #0 and #1 was showing as 0.850 on average
    Average total power was 9.00 consisting of the below values on average
    IA cores=5.00, GT=2.00, Uncore=1.00. DRAM=1.00

Cpu utilisation was at 100%. clock speeds would range between 989-2596.

I then decided to install the rest of the updates, this also automatically downloaded and installed display driver (28/02/18 v23.20.16.4973) and intel system drivers (27/10/16 v 1.1.1.22)
    It was unable for some reason to install the April 2018 cumulative update. (Although i believe in my problem installation previously this was the same case – but it did install the march 18 cumulative update instead)

I had read somewhere that there was some stuck cpu speed issue on another core m tablet too (Yoga tablet) and it was mentioned that if the usb c charger is used when the battery is less than 25%, it deliberately throttles the cpu due to fast charging from that percentage but some glitch prevents the cpu speed from going back up later. Some solutions were to disable prochot via throttlestop or to charge until above 25% then go into bios, save settings without making any changes – which apparantly solves the cpu throttle stuck issue. I will keep all this into consideration if i experience any issues.

When the tablet was on 40% power, i decided to plug in my (Inateck 45w usb c charger with power delivery). and i noticed in HW info that all of a suddent the Package power went up to 11w. Quite some panic, but then it seemed that it had installed an update precisely at that point as the dialog box “windows has installed new features” had popped out. (I assumed that the cpu activity for that given few seconds may have been related to that, but did not want to risk my luck. (This was the first time i had plugged in this charger since i reinstalled the Windows 10 OS today). maybe some issues with initial voltage? I quickly decided to turn off the charge and some moments later placed it on charge again

And then it was not so bad (Package power was showing as 1.00)

Finally decided to drain the battery until 23%, to turn off, then connect the charger (USB C) and turn it on (I tried to replicate what i did the day before when the cpu cores were stuck at the low speed).

In HW info, everything seemed normal apart from the uncore being 0.90 on idle rather than 0.30. (Is this normal for the uncore to rise from 0.60 when it is on charge)

Thats it for now. No issues so far. Hopefully it will stay that way

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar