Questions about the USB 3.0 / 3.1 port or is it USB 2?

Questions about the USB 3.0 / 3.1 port or is it USB 2?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube iWork10 Ultimate Questions about the USB 3.0 / 3.1 port or is it USB 2?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clayton
    Participant

As my Cube iWork 10 is winging its way to my address from Banggo I am glad I have just discovered this site. I have read the forum posts with interest, though some of it is above my head. Among the things I am unclear about are the questions hanging over the single USB ‘special’ (for want of a better word) port in addition to the standard USB 2 ports. I suspect they may not be adequately answered yet, from what I have gathered the characteristics and capacity of the port are somewhat fluid and I may not know where I stand until after I have had the machine running for a while.

Even so I would welcome any clarification possible at this time. Which USB version will it be? Has it been established whether or not it really has USB characteristics. Will it be for both power and data or power only. Is there any way of supplying power other than via USB. What will the power input be (volts /amps). If it is for data what will the transmission speed be. If it is for both can it be used for power and data at the same time? Will it be appropriate to use a USB 3 Hub, powered or not. Am I right in thinking that my USB2 drives and cables will work on the port, but at USB2 capacity. Are there other questions I should be asking.

My apologies if some of these are dumb questions.

Hans Sprungfeld
    Participant

I dont really understand a single word of what you say. If you havr rev1 then it’s micro usb 2.0 port (for charging) and micro usb 3.0 port. If you have rev 2.0 you will have micro usb 2.0 and usb-c which is also usb 2.0 and for charging. The end.

Siu Lay
    Participant

Or better put it is an USB 2 with a usb3 connector.

ShootsWithFilm
    Participant

I dont really understand a single word of what you say. If you havr rev1 then it’s micro usb 2.0 port (for charging) and micro usb 3.0 port. If you have rev 2.0 you will have micro usb 2.0 and usb-c which is also usb 2.0 and for charging. The end.

Why do you need to be so rude? This is the third response I have read from you today that just comes across as utterly rude. The OP asked a legitimate question, you could have given a simple answer, like Siu did immediately below you.

Not all of us are fully across all the different USB protocols. For some of us, buying a device from a brand and a market that we don’t understand is a big adventure and we simply don’t know ALL the answers up front. That’s why we join places like this – to get the answers we want before we part with our cash or open the box and start playing.

Anyhow, have a great day and keep it real!

Andrew W
    Participant

If it is the iwork 10 Ultimate with a type-C connector it is USB 2.0.

Type-C is just a connector it doesn’t exactly tell you anything about the underlying protocol being used.

Truly it is one of the most confusing connectors in the history of computing.

It is ‘one connector to rule them all’/

Usb 3.1, displayport, thunderbolt, MHL, (hDMI just announced)… just some of the signals that can be transmitted over the type-c connector if the hardware supports it.

To top that off the standard confuses engineers and manufacturers (particularly of cables and chargers) are not complying with specs MEANING at worst your device can be fried.

Check out Benson Leung’s Google plus pages.
    he is a Google engineer who reviews cables and charger and comments a lot on this after frying his own device.
    https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung

and there’s 3 more pages he links too.

Check em out

Chris Clayton
    Participant

Thanks. It seems it is likely to be USB 2 and my current Hub (with 7 switchable ports) will be all I need.

I have noticed a warning in this forum not to use a powered Hub.

TWICE
    Participant

It can only be used for charging. Nothing else. You cannot connect a USB C hub to it. It will not work.

Chris Clayton
    Participant

I gather that the C Port does handle data transmission and yours is faulty?

TWICE
    Participant

I gather that the C Port does handle data transmission and yours is faulty?

Yep mine is definitely faulty. Saw that some other forumners also got it working.

John
    Participant

I wonder…

I installed a USB-C to micro USB adaptor and a USB 2.0 hub. And everything works via the C-port: charging and USB 2.0.

It has to be activated by a cold start.

Chris Clayton
    Participant

I have done the same with the same result. I only have USB 2 devices so I am not able to check if there is USB 3 performance. Both data and power are working ok with USB 2. Charging time seems satisfactory. The charger does seem to go to sleep for a while and I get ‘not plugged in’ reports, then it starts up again,  or switching off/on gets it going. I get the impression that when ‘full’ it stops charging automatically.

A lot of updates have been installing.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Was USB 2 for me, as  mentioned in my review.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar