Questions of a possible future vi10 owner

Questions of a possible future vi10 owner

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Vi10 Discussion Questions of a possible future vi10 owner

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Javiergiacomo 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Philipp
    Participant

Hi, due to the reviews here and on youtube I think the vi10 might be what I’m looking for as a budget-daily-use-tablet.

Before I buy I need to know a few more things though:

1. Stability: You ranked the buildquality of chuwi higher than pipos, does this apply to the case of vi10 vs w3f? My main concern is that I would by carrying the tab around with me at school, so it should survive that. Now I’m worried that somewhen I take the vi10 out and the glasback is cracked. Would the w3f be more solid/resistant because of it’s metal/rubber back? Or would you say I needn’t be worried to crack the glas of the vi10 with light to medium pressure.

2. Recovery options: I read there is a recovery partition on the device, is that only to restore windows, or all partitions (android as well)? If not can I restore android without touching the windows part? If I restore windows, will it be back in chinese, or more importantly will I be able to turn it back to english (I read in a review here that on one tablet that wasn’t possible?)

3. Where to buy: Gearbest seems to have the best price right now, but it would be more important to me that I get a international version of ACTIVATED windows, so I wonder: Where did you guys buy the vi10, and what did you get?

4. Android DPI: Since the fine people over at xda found a way to root android on the vi10, have you managed/tried to adjust the DPI to remove the blur? If not, could you point me to a guide on how to do the necessary edits to the build.prop?

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. The Chuwi as you now has glass on both sides. So the Pipo W3F might be a better choice. The keyboards on both tend to scratch up the screen protectors, so might pay to place a cloth between the keyboard and screen when moving about.

2. On my Chuwi when I restored Windows, it had an English option on reboot. The image did have English in my case. Android you can run the factory reset and it has English. I think you’ll be safe, if not you can install English on these ones. The Onda’s and some other ones had issues. Not this Chuwi in my experience.

3. Got mine from Gear Best, its activated with Windows 8.1 Bing and I now run Windows 10 on it. (Insider Win 10 – > Now to full Windows 10 and activated.)

4. People have tried in our root thread for the Chuwi Vi10, none have had any luck. The DPI isn’t the best for the screen. I removed Android on mine so I can’t test, sorry!

Hope this helps.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: Teclast X6 Pro, X4 and UMIDIGI S3 Pro
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Philipp
    Participant

hi Chris,

thanks for the reply!

So you think it might break that easily that it would be a reason to buy something else? I’m not talking about droping it, or anything. This is what makes what seemed like an easy decision hard after all:

I don’t thing I’ll mind the lower res screen (as it isn’t that bad from what you and others wrote and I’m not coming from any ultra high DPI device). The vi10 has the better CPU (although I don’t know, do you think I would feel the difference? They seem to be pretty identical, apart form 2 MHz GPU clock according to cpuboss), better connectivity (2x full&powered USB-ports) and larger screen while also being about 10€ cheaper (at least on gearbest).

On a different note, do you think there is a difference in heat dissipation between the glass back on the vi10 and the metal on the pipo? The vi10 seems go feel hotter, but I guess that is not an issue when just browsing/watching movies?

Also is there a flip-cover without keyboard available for one of the two?

Is there any other competitors at this pricepoint that can keep up with the w3f or vi10 that I’m missing right now, but are worth a look?

Philipp
    Participant

“I now run Windows 10 on it”

In an older video of yours I’ve seen you having issues with the windows 10 on screen keyboard and tablet(/touch?)-mode, where when you activate the on screenkeyboard you loose some other functionality. Is that resolved with the recent builds?

Chris G
    Keymaster

“I now run Windows 10 on it” In an older video of yours I’ve seen you having issues with the windows 10 on screen keyboard and tablet(/touch?)-mode, where when you activate the on screenkeyboard you loose some other functionality. Is that resolved with the recent builds?

Yes, now it’s fixed that issue I had. I have the RTM build now. I was on the insider build, but updated to the full release and it’s even activated and everything. Build 10240 RTM. The touch-screen was messed up from the Windows driver, but installing the files in the Chuwi Vi10 download section fixed that.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Currently testing: FIMI X8 SE 4k drone, Chuwi Lapbook Pro & 2 x Lenovo laptops 🙂

Chris G
    Keymaster

hi Chris, thanks for the reply! So you think it might break that easily that it would be a reason to buy something else? I’m not talking about droping it, or anything. This is what makes what seemed like an easy decision hard after all: I don’t thing I’ll mind the lower res screen (as it isn’t that bad from what you and others wrote and I’m not coming from any ultra high DPI device). The vi10 has the better CPU (although I don’t know, do you think I would feel the difference? They seem to be pretty identical, apart form 2 MHz GPU clock according to cpuboss), better connectivity (2x full&powered USB-ports) and larger screen while also being about 10€ cheaper (at least on gearbest). On a different note, do you think there is a difference in heat dissipation between the glass back on the vi10 and the metal on the pipo? The vi10 seems go feel hotter, but I guess that is not an issue when just browsing/watching movies? Also is there a flip-cover without keyboard available for one of the two? Is there any other competitors at this pricepoint that can keep up with the w3f or vi10 that I’m missing right now, but are worth a look?

In my testing, the Vi10 is much quicker at everything, more so when gaming over the Z3735F PiPo W3F, the Pipo might have a part metal back, but that’s on top of the plastic housing. The PiPo’s, even the faster Z3775D W3, seem to all have slower 3D for some reason.

There is a case for the Vi10 I’ve seen that lets you stand it up.

The Cube i10 is a very similar tablet to the Vi10 as it has the same screen, only one full USB port. And looks and build like the Pipo W3F. I just got my to review and I will have an unboxing and hands on video today.

It has the Z3735F Atom, so it will be a little slower. All in all I still recommend the Vi10. The screen while 1366 x 768 looks good in Windows and it was the Surface Rt’s screen, so it can’t have been to bad for MS to select this panel. It does have good colors, view angles and brightness.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Philipp
    Participant

Thanks again, what you are saying about the vi10, even about the screen, means a lot to me, knowing you have had lots of screens with high DPI values. You just eliminated all doubts I had left, I think I’ll wait a little more, but if there are no news that blow me away I’ll get the vi10, and sure be happy with it 🙂

Koko
    Participant

Hi, 1. The Chuwi as you now has glass on both sides. So the Pipo W3F might be a better choice. The keyboards on both tend to scratch up the screen protectors, so might pay to place a cloth between the keyboard and screen when moving about. 2. On my Chuwi when I restored Windows, it had an English option on reboot. The image did have English in my case. Android you can run the factory reset and it has English. I think you’ll be safe, if not you can install English on these ones. The Onda’s and some other ones had issues. Not this Chuwi in my experience. 3. Got mine from Gear Best, its activated with Windows 8.1 Bing and I now run Windows 10 on it. (Insider Win 10 – > Now to full Windows 10 and activated.) 4. People have tried in our root thread for the Chuwi Vi10, none have had any luck. The DPI isn’t the best for the screen. I removed Android on mine so I can’t test, sorry! Hope this helps.

If only i knew the screen is easy to scratched by the keyboard. My screen protector is heavily scratched and looks very ugly. I usually put my Vi10 in a messenger bag. The worst part is near the keyboard spring connector, middle of screen. Now i but some foam tape in the elevated part of keyboard such as top lid near the spring pin and beside the touchpad. Luckily i have spare protector included from seller.

Slightly off topic, have you tried Vi10 64GB version, Chris? I wonder if the eMMC performance is better or at least, same with 32GB version.

I am running out of space even with Android uninstalled.

Philipp
    Participant

I feel like the 64GB version are unreasonably more expensive for offering “just” 32GB more eMMC drive. For the extra one can get a 64GB microSD card easily 😛

Chris G
    Keymaster

You pay around 35 USD more for the 64GB version, I think it’s almost worth it as it will be much faster than a microsd card which has limited write and read speeds of around 23mb/s.

I haven’t tested the 64GB myself, I can’t justify buying one just to test the eMMC which is the only difference.

I’ll update the review and common on the keyboard scratching up the screen. Mine looks a mess, so I removed the screen protector and it seems it don’t seem to scratch up as much, the screen protector is quite soft. I now place a cloth between the keyboard and screen when moving it about.

My Chuwi Vi10 is my most used Chinese tablet, the keyboard + usb ports and speed are its best feature. If only Chuwi make an upgraded one with a new Cherry trail Atom, one USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 and 1080p screen.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Koko
    Participant

I feel like the 64GB version are unreasonably more expensive for offering “just” 32GB more eMMC drive. For the extra one can get a 64GB microSD card easily ?

Well believe me, if you haven’t buy the tablet, and have extra budget, you should really take the 64GB version. it is not just about the storage size, which is indeed easy to get a high capacity microsd, but for futureproof-ness of the tablet.  Windows system not only need space for installing program, but many service and temporary files stored in many directories, not to mention the Windows update will eat your space quite big.

You pay around 35 USD more for the 64GB version, I think it’s almost worth it as it will be much faster than a microsd card which has limited write and read speeds of around 23mb/s. I haven’t tested the 64GB myself, I can’t justify buying one just to test the eMMC which is the only difference. I’ll update the review and common on the keyboard scratching up the screen. Mine looks a mess, so I removed the screen protector and it seems it don’t seem to scratch up as much, the screen protector is quite soft. I now place a cloth between the keyboard and screen when moving it about. My Chuwi Vi10 is my most used Chinese tablet, the keyboard + usb ports and speed are its best feature. If only Chuwi make an upgraded one with a new Cherry trail Atom, one USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 and 1080p screen.

Yes sir, i agree that screen protector is too soft, can’t withstand friction with the keyboard. Also the rubber pad in the end is too thin which can’t provide enough gap between keypad and screen’s surface.

Ever thinking to change with higher quality screen guard? maybe get one for Surface RT (as the screen size is same and maybe better choice of protector’s brand)

Philipp
    Participant

Last thing before buying this: Do you think the time is right? Or should I wait for some cherry trail tablets to release because a) there might be better tablets (at a similar pricepoint?) b) the bay trail tablet might get cheaper once cherry trail ones are released?

Javiergiacomo
    Participant

Fix Android blur text issue

I found the boot.img and tools in a Chinese forum, it’s for Vi10 but I try on my Vi10 Pro, it works!

I just done some translation in the RunME.bat and Readme.txt only. (Chinese to English)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5U…ew?usp=sharing

Javiergiacomo
    Participant

Link to drivers and instructions to fix blur issue in android

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5UdR3MGs79iVkNEeENiX0pKcmM/view?pli=1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password