Screen flickering (solved)

Screen flickering (solved)

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Plus Discussion Screen flickering (solved)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    vicuzoho
    Participant

Thank you very much for clarifying this issue. I knew this tablet for $200 sounded too good to be true. I guess I need to find another model, I just don’t know how many Chinese tablets use PWM. But if such a great tablet uses it, chances are the other manufacturers use it too.

Too bad, every spec of the tablet is very nice by the way.

Maybe I could use it with brightness set to max all the time, but reading in bed at such brightness might not be optimal on the long run…

Gal
    Participant

I was reading in bed for the past hour or so..no issues really. The videos make it more apparent than in actually is.

I only instigated it because I hate not knowing or having unsolved problems, it bugs me 🙂

Its not flickering like the old CRT screens and I’m sure 95% of the users don’t even notice it.

I guess you know what you’re doing , just wanted to share my view as someone who does notice it. Its barely visible.

vicuzoho
    Participant

I’m very very sensitive to flickering lights, I can’t even stand most LED lightbulbs because even those use PWM (they’re fine in the bathroom or the toilet where I don’t spend a lot of time, but I can’t use them in the living room for instance).

Anyway, I’ve been looking for other tablets and it seems that actually the Teclast X98 Air has a decent non-PWM display! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e_KTfbSK0

Only problem is, I can only order the Android only version (I can only buy stuff from gearbest or tinydeal that they have in their EU warehouse), but I figure I can somehow install Windows 10 on it, right? Dualboot would be best.

That model has an Atom Z3735F though, but I imagine it’s not much worse than the Z8300, or is it? I don’t plan on playing games on it anyway.

Gal
    Participant

Ok, so definitely skip the X98 Plus.

I don’t think the 3735 is much worse. The graphics should be faster on the Plus but in reality I don’t think it’s the case. There also the 2gb vs 4gb.. And I guess you can install win 10 but you’ll have to check the forum for that.  It’s really weird though.. I thought they had the exact same screen.

Nemix
    Participant

From what I can tell on YouTube videos of the X98 Plus in Windows 10, excessive flickering seems to be an issue with only some of the tablets; seems to be a lottery draw for a really bad flickering screen on these tablets.

Most YouTube videos of the tablet running in Windows 10 does not show any flickering at all.

Gal
    Participant

From what I can tell on YouTube videos of the X98 Plus in Windows 10, excessive flickering seems to be an issue with only some of the tablets; seems to be a lottery draw for a really bad flickering screen on these tablets. Most YouTube videos of the tablet running in Windows 10 does not show any flickering at all.

I don’t think that’s the case. I think it just depends what FPS the camera was set to and what was the brightness  set to. I recorded the video in 120fps to show the issue clearly.

Nemix
    Participant

That could also very well be the case as I’m almost confident Teclast is using PWM to lower down the brightness of the screen to achieve a longer battery run time but even so it’s not that bad (as Chris pointed out in his comparison of the X98 Plus vs X98 Pro) since normally your eyes can’t detect it.

I mean just about a decade back we were still using CRT monitors and TV’s that were interlaced, now that’s really bad for the eyes and even then the human eyes can’t detect the interlacing @ 60 FPS, if your unit is really bad that you can see the flickering so obvious than I would say it’s probably an isolated incident and maybe a defective screen.

Nemix
    Participant

With further thought I’m probably gonna skip the X98 Plus due to two prominent problems on this tablet, one being the MicroSD card reading issue and the other being the PWM screen which I don’t think I can live with upon further research about PWM screens.

Thanks for the heads up Gal, I originally wanted the X98 Plus because of the 4:3 ratio screen, compact/lightweight size, community support Android Roms and most of the all the battery life.

Chris was able to get the X98 Plus running up to 8 hours on his review which is phenomenal for a Chinese tablet albeit it was on 40% brightness and likely the balanced power plan in Windows 10.

I figured if I get the X98 Plus and run it at 60% brightness on high performance power plan in Windows 10, I would get up to 7 hours of run time but PWM screen with lower brightness may be distracting meanwhile the next runner up tablet I have in mind the iWork 10 Ultimate (non PWM screen) would only get up to 4.75 hours with the same settings in Windows 10.

I’m currently looking into the HiBook (non PWM screen) which should have the same battery life as the Hi10 and would get up to 6.25 hours with the settings above (about 200 nits brightness and high performance power plan) in Windows 10 which I can live with, I’m just waiting for some reviews or user opinions on the HiBook before I make the purchase.

Gal
    Participant

Well, I’m glad I helped. And its not that bad, I just always notice these things.. I mostly use 25% brightness. My unit is fine, I checked another one and it is exactly the same (my friend doesn’t even notice it).  I would say to skip this one due to the sd card issues..its just ridiculous that they cant figure it out.

tuleggi
    Participant

Why you mention that the topic is solved? it is not… no driver or hardware solution yet for the flickering… maybe Intel will solve it if enough of complains, for the moment being here you can find the work around: x98 plus guide: pwm screen flickering work around !

Viktor
    Participant

Intel HD Grafic Control Panel – Grafic Properties – Power – disable both power saving options and you should not have the flickering more.

tuleggi
    Participant

not true… try to see the screen with a smartphone good camera, you will see that it is flickering a lot (the only workaround solution I found is to set a different PWM level, see post above)

Tim
    Participant

Hi Gal,

I suspect people are talking about two different things.

PWM – TLDR the link others provided. But I beleive that is pulse-width-modulation in this context? In that case, yes, the brightness would be controlled by digitally controlled pulses and the flicker, if any naked eye can detect, should be constant. But that should not be the flicker you noticed (which I noticed too); because PWM frequency should be higher than your eyes can discern, not unlike a florescent tube that is in *good working condition*. As for viewing through the mobile phone, yes you would catch them because of strobe effect. If you use a better cam corder with shutter control I bet you can eliminate that.

As for the flicker that most people notice (not constant), I also believe it is the Intel driver. I have eliminated that by turning off those two Intel optons as other pointed out. HOWEVER, incidentally, I also touched one of the PWM settings in the BIOS (something to do with ‘weight’… BIOS developers never bothers explain things for lay-persons 🙂 prior, so maybe the two (BIOS and driver) have to work together? I will report back next time I mess with the BIOS.

Somewhat related experience. My work W10 laptop can never detect my 2560 wide screen monitor at home (intel chipset with intel driver). One day I dual booted the sucker into Linux and it works out of the box.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar