Screen forced up by swollen battery (?)

Screen forced up by swollen battery (?)

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i9 Forum Screen forced up by swollen battery (?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    majowy
    Participant

The other night, I heard strange popping/cracking sounds in my room. In the morning, much to my surprise and dismay, I discovered that my Cube i9 had literally popped open, with the screen raised above the front part of the body by an inch or so (see the photo). In between the screen and the battery, one can see a badly deformed metal frame (?), which apparently had forced the screen up.

Do I understand it right that the battery got swollen, causing the deformation of the metal part (whatever it is), which in its turn caused the screen to disconnect from the body along the front side?

If so, what exactly do I have to replace? What is the deformed piece of metal one can see between the screen and the battery? Will it be safe to operate the tablet as is (it’s still in working order!) until I find the spare parts? A repairs shop nearby refused to disassemble the tablet unless I dispense them from liability for possible damage to the screen in the process of disassembly.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Yaboi
    Participant

Do you happen to know the dimensions of the battery? I know the thickness will be off considering yours bulged, but the length and height would help search for a new battery. I have been seeing a lot of batteries on aliexpress that “look” like the size and capacity of the Cube i9’s battery. The only difference would be the voltage. Most batteries I am seeing are normal 7.4V, essentially two 5000mah lipo’s in series. I know that it states 7.4V, but wouldn’t a fully charge lipo get the voltage up to 4.2V per cell, thus giving the 8.4V that the stock battery references?

majowy
    Participant

I’ve ordered an original battery from Alldocube. They sell it for sixty US for dollars, which I think is a bit of a rip-off, but I didn’t look for other options, since Cube i9 is my main computer.

Yaboi
    Participant

Please keep us updated on your repair job! I am interested if you are able to A. get a quality battery for that price and B. install it and have everything work properly!

Thanks!

majowy
    Participant

I’ve received a new battery from Alldocube and installed it instead of the [badly] swollen one. As far as I can see, the battery is the same as the original one. For some reason or other, however, I can’t close the back cover properly, perhaps due to the deformation or maybe I’m just not savvy enough. The tablet boots up normally, but I haven’t checked the ports yet.

Yaboi
    Participant

Glad to know all seems well thus far… I only took a part the tablet once for the thermal mod and it was a bitch getting the cover back on. Between not breaking the clips, the magnets at the base falling out or in the wrong orientation, and the buttons on top… I do not want to visit that again for a while!

majowy
    Participant

Quite so. I still haven’t figured out the proper position of the magnets. And I threw away the small pieces of mesh protecting the speakers because they got damaged)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar