SDCard disconnect / connect Fix (Lapbook 14.1)

SDCard disconnect / connect Fix (Lapbook 14.1)

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series SDCard disconnect / connect Fix (Lapbook 14.1)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ernst
    Participant

On the LapBook 14.1 the SDCard connects/disconnects every few minutes.

The solution is to search for the following (older) Realtek driver and install it (simply run setup.exe):

Realtek_CardReader_Win10_V63960031213_WHQL.zip

Apparantly there is something wrong with recent drivers for this chip. On the Realtek company site there is a newer driver than the one Chuwi installs but also that new driver has the disconnect/connect problem.

The driver above is for Windows 8.1 but works fine on Windows 10.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good find, could you please upload it somewhere. I’m trying to download this file from ASUS but it times out.

Nevermind got it in the end, the fix is here: https://techtablets.com/chuwi-lapbook-14-1/downloads/

It’s working fine on my 128GB Samsung MicroSD and 64GB Evo cards.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Ernst
    Participant

Thanks Chris. The driver is available on a lot of websites. Thanks for uploading it here. There is no readme in newer drivers with a revision history so it is not clear what the several versions 10.x of the driver add to the 6.x version.

But no more disconnects and speed of an SDXC card I use (Lexar 1000x) is the same as with the newer versions. So I am happy.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Maybe just bug fixes or something, but the main thing is it works and solves this issue, this with the copper heatsink mod makes this laptop almost perfect now.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Ernst
    Participant

For the record; just opened my LapBook 14.1 to install a M.2 SSD (ADATA SP600; works fine) and noticed the card reader chip is an RTS5170. A search found on Dell support pages a recent driver specifically mentioned for that chip. Will try that version which is more recent than the old one that solves the disconnect problem. Perhaps this newer version solves the problem also.

Chris G
    Keymaster

For the record; just opened my LapBook 14.1 to install a M.2 SSD (ADATA SP600; works fine) and noticed the card reader chip is an RTS5170. A search found on Dell support pages a recent driver specifically mentioned for that chip. Will try that version which is more recent than the old one that solves the disconnect problem. Perhaps this newer version solves the problem also.

Let us know how you get on with the Dell drivers if you find them. Is the AData SP600 a 2242 or 2260 drive?

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Ernst
    Participant

Will do.

The SP600-NS34 is a 2242 drive (256Gb.). Works fine. I noticed that it already, due to the chips on the SSD touching the metal strip, angles a little bit towards the cover. I really believe that a 2260 with chips on the side of the metal strip, won’t fit. Let alone a 2280. I do not own any system that can use 2260/2280 M.2 drives so I can’t test them in the LapBook.

Speed (R/W) is about 400/300 MB/s. Not bad. I choose this brand instead of Transcend because it comes with a toolkit (SMART, TRIM etc.) and a license for an Acronis clone/backup program. Cost was EUR 97,- exclusive tax.

Why Chuwi includes an M.2 slot and don’t include the little standoff and screw to fasten it is beyond me. Also they don’t advertise that it can be expanded with an SSD, which would really raise interest in this device a lot more. Weird.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Not a bad price and it includes Acronis which is really helpful. I have no idea why Chuwi doesn’t advertise the fact it has an M.2, maybe because, at the last minute, they decided they needed that metal counter-weight to go the full length or some other design choice.

Either way it’s great we have it. If you were to cut the bar the 2260 should fit in fine then. My 2242 is just placed in there and not taped down, I’ve traveled down to New Zealand and no issues.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Alain Danteny
    Participant

Nice! Exactly what I was looking for 🙂

Still waiting for my M.2 SSD 🙁

Phones : OnePlus 3T Gold, OnePlus Three Graphite, OnePlus X Onyx, OnePlus Two 64, Motorola Nexus 6, OnePlus One 64
    Watch : Moto360 (Gen 1), SmartQ Z1
    Tablets: Chuwi vi10, Onda V972, Ainol Venus 7, Pipo M9, iPad 1
    MiniPCs: Chuwi Laptop 14.1, Jumper EZBook 2, Pipo W9S, Tronsmart Ara X5, Pipo X8, Pipo X7s
    TV Box : Xiaomi MiBox Mini, SmartBox Q8, UG802, GM282
    Cast : ChromeCast, Tronsmart T2000
    Fitness : Xiaomi MiBand 2, 1S, 1, MiScale, iHealth BP

Phoenix
    Participant

Works like a charm! Thanks for the fix!

Samsung EVO 128 GB works!

Can you tell me you have noticed much speed improvement with the m.2 ssd?

Chris G
    Keymaster

It’s much faster for sure with my 256GB SSD in it as the boot drive. Everything loads fast and it boots faster, recommended.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

marrowmonkey
    Participant

I have no idea why Chuwi doesn’t advertise the fact it has an M.2, maybe because, at the last minute, they decided they needed that metal counter-weight to go the full length or some other design choice. Either way it’s great we have it. If you were to cut the bar the 2260 should fit in fine then. My 2242 is just placed in there and not taped down, I’ve traveled down to New Zealand and no issues.

The metal bar is not a counter weight though, I thought so too at first but I removed it several weeks ago out of curiosity and it’s really not needed, as far as I can tell. The keyboard-section is heavier than the screen, easy for anyone to test, so not a counter weight. Maybe it adds a bit of stiffness though but from an engineering point of view it seems like a very poor solution for that and I can’t notice much difference with regard to stiffness. Only reason I can think of for adding the bar would be to make the notebook feel more expensive, that is fairly common practice for budget products after all. So I believe it’s okay to remove it. It’s about 11% of the total weight so no big deal but still noticeable. But I’ve only tried a 2242 ssd in it anyway (which works great) so can’t comment on that.

TechnoMax
    Participant

I have the 12.3 not the 14.1 LapBook. I first shortened the metal bar to make room for a “normal” 2280 M.2 SSD. Then I too took it out completely and think that it was technically useless: Neither is it needed as a counterweight for the display nor to stabilize an otherwise wobbly keyboard. The notebook still weighs some 1.280KG but some 100g less than before. For me a premium notebook is light not heavy as the mainstream versions.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password