Sizzle noise from the USB-C port when charging with a USB 3.0 adapter & charger

Sizzle noise from the USB-C port when charging with a USB 3.0 adapter & charger

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i9 Forum Sizzle noise from the USB-C port when charging with a USB 3.0 adapter & charger

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Dean.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jpnn80
    Participant

Hi,

I bought this male USB-C to female USB 3.0 passive adapter : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00W6TQUUC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And when I plug it to two different chargers outputting between 2.0A and 2.4A, I can hear a sizzling noise from the USB-C port.

I found that very worrying so I only left each charger plugged for a few seconds.

Does anyone know if this noise is normal ?

Bonnom
    Participant

Yes that is normal. There is all ready a post on this forum about it. Chargers usually make high pitched noise. Sometimes to high to hear it. Just put your head against a charger that is charging. This sound comes from the inductors. (coil that produces a magnetic field, very important in electronics)

However you can’t charge effectively from usb c at the moment. The charging switches on and off. Chargers that switches on and off will decrease the life of the battery significantly and you should never use a chargers that does that!!

Hopefully they are going to release a update soon.

Jpnn80
    Participant

Actually I specified that the sizzle noise came from the USB C port, not from the charger.

What bugs me too is that Cube did not think of adding a LED to display the battery status, whereas its lifetime is decreased if you keep charging it while powered on.

Also the current known problem with the charging switching on and off may be related to this topic, even if Qualcomm officials says there is no problem. Sounds like simple PR damage control to me based on irrelevant logic as “No report ? No problem then!” :

http://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-addresses-usb-type-c-and-quick-charge-30-compatibility

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi, the port itself makes the noise or the speakers? Sometimes the speakers pick up static. I’m thinking of getting the Dell type-c docking charger for my i9. I think this will charge it and allow for HDMI and USB data. It should also fully charge it and not drop the charge from 100% to 95% and back to 100% again over and over, I hope not.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Bonnom
    Participant

Yeah other people reported this problem too. But don’t try charging the tablet on usb c. It is really bad for the device.

There are inductors in the device that make the high pitched noise. You can see them in the pictures of a opened cube i9.

They are the grey squares in the holes of the aluminium heatspreader.

Jpnn80
    Participant

Chris the port itself makes the noise.

So given the advice of Bonnom, unfortunately you have to carry the official charger which doesn’t use a universal and common plug like USB.

Dean
    Participant

Why is it bad to charge with the USB-C?

Bonnom
    Participant

When charging with USB C the battery charges on and off.
    A battery can be charged a finite amount off times.
    When charging switches on and off the battery can degrade very rapidly.

Dean
    Participant

OK thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar