Tablet whine when charging via the USB-C port

Tablet whine when charging via the USB-C port

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i9 Forum Tablet whine when charging via the USB-C port

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lars Johnsen
    Participant

I have a proper USB-C (45 W) charger supporting 5 V @ 2 A and 20 V @ 2.25 A according to the label.  It charges very slow, so I believe it has power delivery version 1 (or the tablet does not support 20 V, or something ­— I haven’t found any way to be sure). When it is connected, the table creates a high pitch whine, seemingly correlated with amperage.

Does anyone else hear it, and have you found a way to reduce it?

Bonnom
    Participant

Chargers almost always make high pitch noises when charging. I never heard a device that made a high pitched noise themself.
    Are you sure it is the tablet and not the charger?

My tablet doesn’t charge very well with the usb C. The charging switches on and off when charging with usb c.
    Do you have that problem? A way to find out is to have different brightness levels for plugged/battery. The tablet will switch brightness levels when it isn’t charging.

Lars Johnsen
    Participant

I’m sure it is the device. The noise seems to originates from the upper left corner, around where the main circuitry is, so it is probably some inductor causing it.

I tried stress testing the charger. In that case the tablet slowly lost energy (~20 mWh each minute, according to BatteryInfoView), and the brightness kept consistent, so there’s no indication that any brownout occured.

Bonnom
    Participant

You can buy a volt amperage meter on aliepress. Meter 1 Meter 2

They are regular usb meters and not usb c. The meters are very usefull, also for other applications.

Bonnom
    Participant

I tested with usb C charging. I also hear a noises when charging with usb C. But I doubt a normal person would be able to hear it.

This was tested with a regular USB 5v charger from AUKEY with a USB c cable.

The tablet will lose charge when playing CSS

Jason
    Participant

I know this isn’t directly to do with this topic, but is there a status led that turns on when the tablet is charging? If so, does it light when charging though usb c? (Obviously it would when charging though the dc jack)

Lars Johnsen
    Participant

Yes, the same charging status led turns on when charging via USB-C.

Jason
    Participant

Thanks for the info

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password