Teclast Master T10 Review

Teclast Master T10 Review

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums General Discussion Teclast Master T10 Review

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hualalai
    Participant

Pros:

1. Wonderful, fully laminated 2560 x 1600 panel.  An “A-” compared to the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 panel (A+) and Tab S3 panel (A), and equal to the ASUS Zenpad 3 8.0 panel (A-), but a strong “A” among Shenzen panels.  BD transfers (VLC) to MP4 play without stutter using XPlayer.
    2. Value… probably the best bang per buck at MSRP in the budget 10″ tablet world.  The “best value” position in the 8″ budget tablet world goes to the Chuwi Hi9.
    3. A little lighter than my deceased Teclast X98 3G (583g), with much better performance (other than lack of SIM).  The claimed weight of the T10 is 543g, which is a lie.   The T10 weighs (on my digital scale) 567g.  Build quality is better than that of the X98.
    4. Bone stock Android 7.0.0.  No bloatware whatsoever.  No Chinese apps whatsoever (other than Teclast OTA Update).

Cons:

1. OTG works, but lacks ex-FAT support.  Paragon (USD 5.99) will make an 128GB ex-FAT uSD card work via OTG, but not in the uSD slot.  [ -0.5 ]
    2. Cannot make Samsung or Patriot 128GB uSD in the uSD slot work as internal storage, native or with Paragon.  Teclast marketing claim of native support for 128GB in the E3C6 series, since the T10 does not recognize ex-FAT natively, and ex-FAT (or NTFS) is needed for any SD size above 32GB.  If you put an ex-FAT uSD card of <=32GB in the uSD slot, the OS will tell you the uSD card is corrupted and needs to be “repaired”… which means reformatted as FAT.  BG says that Kingston uSD “will work”… IDK if that is internal storage only, T10 formatted. [ -1.0 ]

First wifi connection was initially unstable, but “forgetting” the troublesome SSID then re-authenticating gave me a stable connection.  Two more SSIDs authenticated fine and were stable, 2GHz and 5GHz.

Transfer speeds are USB 3.0 (2008, not SuperSpeed aka 3.1 Gen 1) between PC and T10.

Be very careful when removing the top sheet (cover) of the screen protector, or you’ll pull up the screen protector itself… bubble city.  I immediately replaced the stock screen protector; the stock one is the thinnest one I’ve ever seen:   moving my finger around the panel caused rippling.  (TIP:  Buy packs of three, 15″ screen protectors and cut to size unless you really want tempered glass protectors (in which case, you must buy die-cut protectors).

Since this tablet won’t have personal data on it (movie playback only), I don’t really care about the slow fingerprint reader.

SCORE:  8.5  If Teclast had been honest about “128GB support”, the score would have been close to 10 for budget, 10″ tablets.  It would need USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 to get a 10, however.

My unit (from Bangood, 12 days, order to delivery, air parcel register) arrived with adaptive charger and cable.  No OTA updates yet above Android 7.0.  Out of the box, the Android Security Update is April 05, 2017.  See also https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/teclast-master-t10-thread-t3722138

Recommended apps:  Total Commander, XPlayer, GBoard.  I could not turn off keyboard sounds using “Android Keyboard”, the default keyboard app. but I could with GBoard.  Plus, I run GBoard on all my Android devices since it switches between CN, JP, and KR input methods easily, and has swipe entry.

IMO, Chuwi will need to price the Hi9 Air below $300, and support (i) 256GB ex-FAT or NTFS and (ii) US/EU LTE bands, to sway buyers in the 2560×1600 10″ market, esp. those that don’t mind using a smartphone to provide OTA Internet.

I hope my T10 lasts longer than my X98.  Teclast has certainly gained ground vs. its Shenzen competitors in value and quality; longevity remains to be seen.  Chuwi’s Hi9 has moved past Alldocube, and the Hi9 Air will lengthen the lead.  Teclast will need to move past the MTK8176 class to stay close to Chuwi.

Jonathan
    Participant

Nice review. 2 questions. Is the screen fully laminated and how long does the quick-charge function fill up the battery when fully drained?

Hualalai
    Participant

Fully laminated screen.

Charging time…. about 4 hours, <5% to 100%.   The Master T10 must have an adaptive charger that can do the main charge at 12V and 1.5A and adapt to 5-7-9 V at 2.0 A to fully charge.  In the States, buyer gets a charger and cable.  Some markets don’t.  This one works (but must adapt from USB C (charger) to uUSB B (T10)):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVRRTNB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hans
    Participant

I’m using a T10 Master since December last year with a Samsung Evo plus 128 GB card without any problems. So Teclast claiming a 128 GB support is definitely not a lie. The only problem I have with my device: After fully charging on disconnecting from the charger (QC3, no Pump Express available) the tablet crashes quite often. But after a reboot everything works fine again.

Hualalai
    Participant

Hans, how is your uSD card formatted?  What is the formatted size?  Are you using it in the uSD slot, or through OTG?

What “series” is your T10 (lettter-number-letter-number, on the back)?

There are third party tools that can format >32GB in FAT

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-128gb-sd-card-to-fat32.html

but uSDs formatted with those tools have very slow read/write speeds.

Does anyone else have a T10 that can natively support 128GB uSD?  If so, what brand of uSD?

Hans
    Participant

I took it out of the original Samsung packaging and inserted into the tablet without formatting. ES file explorer shows a usable capacity of 119.22 GB. I use it in the inbuilt SD card slot, not through OTG connector. My tablet is a T10(E3C5) – hope this helps to identify the promblem. I assume a faulty SD-card or a defective internal adapter…

Hualalai
    Participant

Your post led me to an exchange with BG, who said that only Kingston uSD should be used in the T10.  I got a Lexar uSD card to work, but it had to be formatted by the T10.  External formatting did not work.  Samsung and Patriot uSD did not work in my E3C6 T10.

Mark
    Participant

Samsung 128GB micro SD cards work with my E3C6 as “removable storage” only.  When formatted for permanent internal use, there is either a failure transferring aps to the card, or after formatting, it is listed as corrupted and no applications like ES File Explorer or Documents will see it.  Also, apps can not be installed from the Play Store with the card installed.    Have tried formatting the Samsung card with EasyUS as FAT32, but it would still get errors after the T10 re-formatted it for internal storage.

Tried a SanDisk card, it did not work as Internal storage either.   Will try a Kingston now.

With the very limited tech info on the T10, I am assuming that the micro SD should be able to be formatted as permanent internal storage.  Correct?

Thanks,

Mark.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar