iWork8 Air: Touch screen issue after installing Anniversary Update

iWork8 Air: Touch screen issue after installing Anniversary Update

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums iwork8 Ultimate / iwork8 Air Discussion iWork8 Air: Touch screen issue after installing Anniversary Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Riccardo
    Participant

Hello,

As the title say, I’ve installed the Anniversary Update on my CUBE iWork8 Air I1-TF and now the touch screen is misaligned.

I’ve tried to use the built-in utility to calibrate it, but I had no luck; I’ve tried to restore previously saved drivers and I’ve tried to put into the C:\Windows\INF folder the touchsetting.gt file, but none seems to be working.

I’m unable to restore the previous build either, so I’m stuck. Is there anything I can do to restore factory settings and/or resolve this issue?

Thank you

Riccardo
    Participant

Still struggling with this issue…

Do you think that flashing the most recent firmware from CUBE will revert the tablet to fabric settings?

I think the firmware is located here: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1jIpU9wU

But I’m unable to download it because my username and password to access the chinese cloud service are always incorrect for the system, even if I’m sure I fill in the data correctly (not to mention my antivirus detect something wrong with the chinese client you have to download first).

Is there anyway to download the firmware from somewhere else?

Alternatively, do you know where can I find a System Image of the iWork8 Air I1-TF to be used to recover my tablet?

I hope you can help me out with this.

Alvin
    Participant

you have to reinstall the touch driver. and paste the fw file in system32/driver

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Riccardo
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll give it a try but it didn’t work with the original drivers (I’ve done a backup with “double driver” before attempting the upgrade procedure).

In the meanwhile my situation got worse, because I was tempting to downgrade to W8.1, hoping the oldest driver will work with it, and now I’m stuck with the installation procedure because I get a message saying something about an EFI partition to be converted into FAT32 in order to start the install procedure.

I’m going to make a “Windows to Go” bootable USB and try to make something from there…

Thank you for your assistance, anyway

The best thing to solve this will be put my hands on an original iWork8 Air system image and try to overwrite the tablet HDD entirely.

Alvin
    Participant

The driver works for me. U have to restart.

Riccardo
    Participant

Good news!

Thanks to Alvin’s drivers I was able to restore the touch screen to its full functionality! To be honest, the drivers you attached won’t work well for me, because something was messed up with the pressure sensitivity: it was as if every tap were a right click of the mouse, and it cannot be changed from the settings in control panel.

So I reinstalled the older drivers (the one I had a back-up of) but putting Alvin’s SileadTouch.fw into Windows\System32\Drivers and that solved the misaligned issue!

Eric Dunn
    Participant

Riccardo, how did you even install the anniversary edition? Mine won’t let me do it b/c not enough space on the windows system drive.

Riccardo
    Participant

Hi Eric,

The only way I find to do that, is put Windows 10 in a pendrive (you should use the media creation tool to do that https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) then boot with the pendrive attached to the tablet, erase the existing partition with Windows and reinstall the updated O.S. from the pendrive. This way you’ll have the AU bypassing the update procedure. Obviously, you’ll lost all of your data on the Windows partition (Android will remain intact).

If you want to attempt the procedure, first thing first – VERY IMPORTANT – you should use this tool: http://produkey.en.softonic.com/ to see and take note of your Windows Product Key, otherwise you will not be able to activate the O.S. after the procedure!

Then you must backup all your iWork8 drivers (use this tool: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/Double-Driver.shtml) and remember to backup and restore manually the SileadTouch.fw file stored in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers (otherwise the touchscreen will give you some serious issues). You should have the tablet fully charged because in the USB port you should insert something like this http://www.gearbest.com/samsung-cables-adapters/pp_260190.html. You’ll need it beacause you have to use Keyboard, Mouse and the bootable USB at the same time to perform the procedure.

When Windows will’be reinstalled, you should restart with the “Disable driver signature enforcement” option, following this steps: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-do-i-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-win/a53ec7ca-bdd3-4f39-a3af-3bd92336d248?auth=1

Reinstall the previously backed up drivers with Double Driver, put the previously saved SileadTouch.fw file back in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder, then restart.

Now you have updated the iWork8 with the latest Windows build and the touchscreen should act normally. You’ll have some extra space too but that will not last, because Windows will download automatically Apps and other things needed by the system. Anyway, if you’ll install your needed apps on the external sd, that will be not a problem and you should still have 1-2Gb of free space on the main partition.

P.s.

I’m not sure the two things are linked in any way, but I suffered a serious issue with the internal micro SD reader that became unusable. This issue seems to pop out randomly with chinese tablet of variuos brands, so I’m not telling you that the updating procedure is responsible. I had to request another tablet, since mine was still in warranty.

Eric Dunn
    Participant

Riccardo,

That is a huge response. Thank you! This is great and I appreciate it so much. I will attempt all of this tonight and again, you are a very good person for writing all of that out. Warranty? I only have 3 days of warranty. ha!

Also is there a way to safely decrease the size of the 8GB android partition by 5GB? 3 should be ample for that, and 5 would make a HUGE difference on the windows side.

Riccardo
    Participant

Riccardo,

That is a huge response. Thank you! This is great and I appreciate it so much.

Don’t mention it, it’s a pleasure 🙂

Also is there a way to safely decrease the size of the 8GB android partition by 5GB? 3 should be ample for that, and 5 would make a HUGE difference on the windows side.

Ther’s a procedure that involves the use of a custom gpt.bin file (is a file stored inside the original installation rom, here: http://www.cube-tablet.com/download/).

Someone modified this gpt files for the Teclast x98 model but, using an hex editor, it seems this files could work on the iWork8 Air too.

I’ve attempted the procedure, but failed in modifying the file, so I gave up eventually.

Anyway, if you want to try, remember that Android must be flashed before attempting the upgrading procedure on Windows, because when you’ll flash Android all the other partitions will be lost.

For the details, take a look at this threads here:

http://techtablets.com/2016/01/cube-iwork8-ultimate-gets-dual-boot-files-and-how-too/# (see in particular the comment posted by iwork8night on June 29, 2016, 5:17 pm)

http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/resize-android-partition-the-easy-way-for-x98-serie/

http://techtablets.com/forum/reply/31049/

Good luck with all that 🙂

Eric Dunn
    Participant

Hah! I’ve already read through all that. Great minds think alike. I suspected it would be a huge pain in the arse given what people were experiencing, and will likely just leave it for now. Thank you again for that.

I was also hoping to increase storage for the fact that the partition appears to run slow because it’s very full. My buddy’s Lenovo Miix 2 8 runs windows far more smoothly despite having poorer specs and I’m attempting to figure out why that is, but that was all I could come up with. maybe I just need a new windows install and it will fix my problem.

Riccardo
    Participant

Hah! I’ve already read through all that. Great minds think alike. I suspected it would be a huge pain in the arse given what people were experiencing, and will likely just leave it for now. Thank you again for that.

I’ve tried this method:

By the way, if you want to make your own custom android_data partition size, just open with an hex editor the original gpt.bin and search near of android_data the hex number 50. Next replace this number the previous table of mirek
    hex | dec | size
    08 — 8 — 2 GB
    0C — 12 — 3 GB
    10 — 16 — 4 GB
    14 — 20 — 5 GB
    18 — 24 — 6 GB
    20 — 32 — 8 GB
    28 — 40 — 10 GB
    30 — 48 — 12 GB
    40 — 64 — 16 GB
    50 — 80 — 20 GB
    78 — 120 — 30 GB
    A0 — 160 — 40 GB
    D4 — 212 — 53 GB
    Summarized: HEX = Hex(4*Size_GiB)

And it works, but for the iWork8 Air you should search for a “20” hex number near the column with “android_data” (not “50”)

To edit the gpt.bin file, you could use this: http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352_4-10891068.html

Eric Dunn
    Participant

I’ve tried this method:

By the way, if you want to make your own custom android_data partition size, just open with an hex editor the original gpt.bin and search near of android_data the hex number 50. Next replace this number the previous table of mirek hex | dec | size 08 — 8 — 2 GB 0C — 12 — 3 GB 10 — 16 — 4 GB 14 — 20 — 5 GB 18 — 24 — 6 GB 20 — 32 — 8 GB 28 — 40 — 10 GB 30 — 48 — 12 GB 40 — 64 — 16 GB 50 — 80 — 20 GB 78 — 120 — 30 GB A0 — 160 — 40 GB D4 — 212 — 53 GB Summarized: HEX = Hex(4*Size_GiB)

And it works, but for the iWork8 Air you should search for a “20” hex number near the column with “android_data” (not “50”) To edit the gpt.bin file, you could use this: http://download.cnet.com/HxD-Hex-Editor/3000-2352_4-10891068.html

I ended up returning it actually because the SD card slot died.  plus my device was super slow in windows for no good reason.  I even chopped the resolution down to see if that would help.  I have a miix 2 8 and it runs like a top despite being hardware inferior.  I think these Chinese tablets just aren’t made well or something.

benjaxrivera
    Participant

Guys help.

I bought the iCube8 Air (i1-TF) and the Windows installed is Chinese. There was no way i could install an English language pack because it was bloody difficult to navigate an operating system that I could not understand. So I installed an English windows but after that, the touch screen went berserk! Totally misaligned and it’s on the opposite axis. I tried the steps mentioned here and downloaded the driver and copied the .fw file on the system32/drivers folder and restarted but still won’t work. HELP ME PLEASE.

thanks in advance guys!

Oscar
    Participant

Alvin’s files solved my non-working touch screen. I had just reinstalled Windows on my iWork 8 Air Pro and the drivers I found online rendered the touch screen useless – Alvin’s files worked well. Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password