Trying to get English windows

Trying to get English windows

TechTablets Forums Onda Forums Onda v116w Core M Discussion Trying to get English windows

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Avtar Sagoo
    Participant

OK. So I’ve been battering my keyboard searching for solutions and guides on how to change the system language from Chinese to English.
    What I know about my windows version:
    Windows 8.1 with Bing (Chinese edition)
    Its all Chinese (thanks to google translate I can understand some of it)
    I CAN install the English qwerty keyboard.
    I CANNOT install the English system language!

I refuse to spend £100 on a product key just to have English windows!

I’ve tried the personalise settings route to change the language. No luck
    I’ve tried the control panel route. No luck
    I’ve tried the cmd in admin mode hokuspokus attempt. No luck

So I resorted to trying to install a fresh new windows. No luck.
    First try I got a driver missing error. Second attempt managed to get to the preinstall “windows is getting ready to install” but after the restart it says resorting back to current system and gives me windows install error 0xc1440137 – 0x2000c.

I’m running out of ideas and patience and could do with some advice and guidance before I send an unhappy email to onda and request a return and refund.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Avtar Sagoo
    Participant

Oh by the way I bought the device direct from onda via http://www.onda-tablet.com

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi,

I had this issue on the Onda v116w bay trail model .I could not find a fix, I searched high and low in the end I had to use my own Windows key and install Windows 8.1 via USB. Not cool, I later sold the tabelt and made a huge loss on it due to this.

If I was you I would open a dispute right away in Paypal as not discribed, Also Onda-Tablet aren’t Onda, it’s just a online retailer that sells them from China. They also have other sites like pipo-tablets.com etc and try to make themselves out as being the brand when they are not.

What have Onda-tablets.com said about the issue?

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Chris G
    Keymaster

Oh and this is another reason why I think Onda is a brand I think people should stay away from. Only they seem to install this Windows 8.1 Pro Chinese connected version that doesn’t allow lanague packs outside of China’s IPS.

Another idea is if you can use a VPN and get a Chinese IP address and then try to download the pack. I have a feeling this would work and it’s the only thing I didn’t try.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Avtar Sagoo
    Participant

Hi Chris, cheers for getting back to me. I’m going to try that Chinese VPN thing now if I can understand the instructions haha. I tried entering a Pro Key that i bought off of ebay (£17) and it did not activate. I’ve just got off tech support with Microsoft. They tried to change the language but couldnt. They’ve confirmed my key as legit OEM and they’ve confirmed I need to full wipe and reinstall windows in order to get rid of the blasted Chinese VIRUS.
    How was your machine after the wipe and reinstall and what steps did you take? I’ve tried installing without wiping (windows makes that windows old folder) but that kept throwing me out saying missing files blah blah blah. I may have to open a dispute through PayPal or direct to onda-tablet. They’ve been pretty good with replying to me so far. Let’s see how good they really are….

Avtar Sagoo
    Participant

Chinese VPN didn’t work 🙁

Chris G
    Keymaster

Oh wow that is not good, I would have thought it would work, how did my seller on Ali Express English on mine I do not know. What I did was install a x64 Windows 8.1 ISO from my usb flash drive and then used double driver to restore my drivers backup here: http://techtablets.com/onda-v116w-core-m/videos/ This worked just fine.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Avtar Sagoo
    Participant

Is there any way for you to contact your seller and ask how they got the tablet in English? Wicked. I’ve got your drivers pack, will give full wipe and reinstall a go. I hope it doesn’t randomly say it can’t install after the drive is formatted otherwise I’ll be screwed!

Avtar Sagoo
    Participant

So I mustered up some courage and decided to full wipe and install English windows. I used the pro key that I bought off of ebay to activate. Worked a treat :). Also your driver pack was very helpful Chris, thank you for providing that. Finally I can rip off the screen protector and enjoy this machine properly!
    I did make a backup of the Chinese system though just in case lol

I guess to conclude this thread, you cannot change the language of WINDOWS 8.1 SINGLE LANGUAGE WITH BING without spending an arm and a leg buying a product key through the software/windows store…..UNLESS you full wipe and clean install a new version of windows in your desired language.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Glad it worked in the end for you. Windows 8.1 BIng is fine, the issue is the Windows 8.1 Pro connected version used. It only seems to be happening with the Onda’s. I had no issues with the Cube i7 which had Windows 8.1 Pro. On factory reset it was in Chinese, but it let me download and install English just fine.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password