upcoming Apollo-Lake Pentium N4200 = Core m3-6Y30 performance?

upcoming Apollo-Lake Pentium N4200 = Core m3-6Y30 performance?

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion upcoming Apollo-Lake Pentium N4200 = Core m3-6Y30 performance?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BBaker
    Participant

There’s been some reports that Intel is stopping Atom (aka Cherry Trail) development, though will continue to ship Atom X5 and X7 processors.   The next rev of low-power Intel CPU’s will be “Apollo LakeCeleron and Pentium processors.  Primary among these is the  6watt TDP quad-core Pentium N4200.   The below page indicates multi-core (Geekbench) performance of the N4200 is on par with the Intel Core m3-6Y30.  I hope it’s real world performance stands up and pricing is reasonable, if not cheaper than Core-M.  I’ve not heard of any portable devices shipping yet with these, and only a couple motherboard and NUC’s announced so far.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/7081276?baseline=7251504

BBaker
    Participant

Here ya go. A “leaked” Apollo-Lake Celeron NUC mini-PC.  As yet, not released just announced…

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/07/15/intel-apollo-lake-nuc6cays-nuc6cayh-nuc-mini-pcs-specifications-released/#comment-528944

BBaker
    Participant

A little more info released about the 6watt TDP “mobile” Apollo-Lake processors. Something to keep an eye out for…

Celeron N3450 quad core processor @ 1.1 GHz / 2.2 GHz (Burst frequency) and 12 EU Intel HD graphics 500 @ 200 MHz / 700 MHz (Burst freq.); 6W TDP
    Pentium N4200 quad core processor @ 1.1 GHz / 2.5 GHz (Burst frequency) and 18 EU Intel HD graphics 505 @ 200 MHz / 750 MHz (Burst freq.); 6W TDP

BBaker
    Participant

I just read that these processors will be retailing for around US$160 Pentium and $100 Celeron so only if their performance is near or better than that of the Core-M’s will you likely see them in a good value tablet or convertible-notebook.

Chris G
    Keymaster

I hope so, the days of the $99 tablets will be coming to and end sooner or later, but now the revised Atom Z8X50’s are finally making an appearance. Losing the Atom’s isn’t a bad thing if these Apollo Lake chips run like Core M’s, but it will mean we’ll have to pay more than the Atom units of course.

But just imagine a Chuwi HiBook Pro with an Apollo Lake chip, 4GB of dual-channel RAM and an SSD, but instead of costing $199 it will be more like $280… Not so good.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

BBaker
    Participant

Hard to say. Intel is not stopping with the Atoms but appears to me to just be changing the marketing focus of them towards the IoT market – perhaps because they don’t want $100 tablets… or … the volume of tablets sold with Atoms was not high enough to make it worth it to them. Does this mean that they will refuse to sell them to tablet makers? dunno. Will they license them prohibiting their use in devices with a screen? … or will they not care? But I don’t think $100 tablets will be going away. If Intel is leaving you can be sure that companies like Mediatek will step into that space and their processors are getting pretty powerful now. It’s really a matter of software – OS and device driver support. But with Remix-OS and Android-N Nougat maybe that is what will be running mostly on the cheaper tablets. And if Linux ever gets serious about touchscreens. Having Windows run only on the more powerful hardware may be better anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password