Update Bios Firmware / Updated drivers ?

Update Bios Firmware / Updated drivers ?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi Hi8 Pro Discussion Update Bios Firmware / Updated drivers ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Viper73
    Participant

Hi,

i have the Chuwi Hi8 Pro for a few days and have some questions, maybe you can help me:

a) is it possible to update the Bios firmware? Where can i download the Bios firmware? Maybe directly from AMI if Chuwi does not have any firmware updates?
    b) are the drivers for the Chuwi Hi8 (without “Pro”) and Chuwi Hi8 pro the same? I can not find drivers for the Pro in the downloads in this Homepage
    My device does not run very well, so i want to do a clean install of windows. I hope this will help…

Greets, Viper

Kossak
    Participant

Can somebody share with link to last available bios version dedicated to Chuwi HI8 PRO? please.

I think the latest is from 31.12.2015r., it’s available on Chuwi forum site but it’s also not available to download from my country 🙁

robert wisdom
    Participant

Here is a backup of the bios I had (I made the backup with the aptio v efi bios tool) https://mega.nz/#!49FiFQII!Jv-FjkCdVSO9pcZqvOCQ3SqMqAoGSULIWTutLKx4AIg . It the one dated 12/31. It works fine. You will have to flash it through the efi shell. Here is intel’s 32 bit efi bios update tool fpt.efi https://mega.nz/#!JoURWSZJ!S3-PsC7PljwIsb-v9jxSV6kkLqrOkG7IFPwqfMcMYWw . Or you can use amibios’ aptio V version of the efi flashing tool available here: https://ami.com/download-license-agreement/?DownloadFile=AMIBIOS_and_Aptio_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip
    I don’t recommend the dos or windows aptio v bios flashing tools, they’re prone to crash. I also don’t recommend the alpha bios released by chuwi, as its 64 bit (and the 12/31 version is 32 bit) and its very likely your tablet will become a paperweight after an attempt at flashing it. Put the files (unzipped, of course) on a flash drive (in the root of the flash drive, preferably), plug in your usb c otg or micro otg with usb c adapter (in my case) and enter the bios by hitting “del” at bootup. I turn quiet boot off, in the boot options and set the boot up to 3 second delay, for future use. Then go to the very right menu and select load efi shell from a usb drive (or something like that), it will load the efi shell, hit “esc” after a few seconds (when it says to hit “esc”), or it will reboot. Mount the usb drive by typing “fs3:”. Then type “fpt.efi -f backup.rom” (to flash via the intel method, provided the files are on the root of the usb, if not, just type ls and it will give you a directory list) or “afuefi.efi backup.rom” (to flash with amibios’ tool). After it completes (with both amibios and intel methods) it should reset, but if not, type “reset”, it will go into the bios and do the actual flashing at that point. I would recommend you backup your current bios with the amibios tool, by typing “afuefi.efi /O”, that’s an oh, not a zero, as I don’t want to be responsible if things do go well. It will backup the current rom to the root of the usb, or whatever folder you are currently in. In fact, I am not responsible, and this is done at your own risk and I would also highly recommend the battery be completely charged. I would also recommend the intel method of flashing the bios through the efi shell, as that is what the folks at chuwi do. Please backup the current bios and charge the battery first though.
    Hope this helps somebody. Also, if your tablet is already borked, you can try, just putting the backup of the bios on a thumb drive, in the root of the drive and name it amiboot.rom . might work, might not, sometimes the naming of the rom differs, you will have to run Andy P’s SLIC tool from My Digital Life to be certain the name is correct. Most bios manufacturers have a secure boot portion of the bios that is protected and in instances of “total annihilation” of your bios, you can still recover because this secure boot portion of the bios will be “looking” for the rom on the primary usb port upon powering on.

Da
    Participant
    dawei
    Participant

Here is a backup of the bios I had (I made the backup with the aptio v efi bios tool) https://mega.nz/#!49FiFQII!Jv-FjkCdVSO9pcZqvOCQ3SqMqAoGSULIWTutLKx4AIg . It the one dated 12/31. It works fine. You will have to flash it through the efi shell. Here is intel’s 32 bit efi bios update tool fpt.efi https://mega.nz/#!JoURWSZJ!S3-PsC7PljwIsb-v9jxSV6kkLqrOkG7IFPwqfMcMYWw . Or you can use amibios’ aptio V version of the efi flashing tool available here: https://ami.com/download-license-agreement/?DownloadFile=AMIBIOS_and_Aptio_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip I don’t recommend the dos or windows aptio v bios flashing tools, they’re prone to crash. I also don’t recommend the alpha bios released by chuwi, as its 64 bit (and the 12/31 version is 32 bit) and its very likely your tablet will become a paperweight after an attempt at flashing it. Put the files (unzipped, of course) on a flash drive (in the root of the flash drive, preferably), plug in your usb c otg or micro otg with usb c adapter (in my case) and enter the bios by hitting “del” at bootup. I turn quiet boot off, in the boot options and set the boot up to 3 second delay, for future use. Then go to the very right menu and select load efi shell from a usb drive (or something like that), it will load the efi shell, hit “esc” after a few seconds (when it says to hit “esc”), or it will reboot. Mount the usb drive by typing “fs3:”. Then type “fpt.efi -f backup.rom” (to flash via the intel method, provided the files are on the root of the usb, if not, just type ls and it will give you a directory list) or “afuefi.efi backup.rom” (to flash with amibios’ tool). After it completes (with both amibios and intel methods) it should reset, but if not, type “reset”, it will go into the bios and do the actual flashing at that point. I would recommend you backup your current bios with the amibios tool, by typing “afuefi.efi /O”, that’s an oh, not a zero, as I don’t want to be responsible if things do go well. It will backup the current rom to the root of the usb, or whatever folder you are currently in. In fact, I am not responsible, and this is done at your own risk and I would also highly recommend the battery be completely charged. I would also recommend the intel method of flashing the bios through the efi shell, as that is what the folks at chuwi do. Please backup the current bios and charge the battery first though. Hope this helps somebody. Also, if your tablet is already borked, you can try, just putting the backup of the bios on a thumb drive, in the root of the drive and name it amiboot.rom . might work, might not, sometimes the naming of the rom differs, you will have to run Andy P’s SLIC tool from My Digital Life to be certain the name is correct. Most bios manufacturers have a secure boot portion of the bios that is protected and in instances of “total annihilation” of your bios, you can still recover because this secure boot portion of the bios will be “looking” for the rom on the primary usb port upon powering on.

That is why they need us to send in the tablet for flash. Because the new one is 64 bits.

Lucien J Bourque
    Participant

Hello Dawei,

Can you tell me if I can use the above to flash the bios on my Chuwi vi8 dualboot tablet?  It won’t boot past the two Windows and Android icons, while neither one works, I get the Windows error:  Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We’ll restart for you. etc… Inacessible boot device.

This happened while trying to go back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10.  Unfortunately, I did something to the bios which was available then, and I don’t

know what it was, some five or six months ago.   Thanks v.m. for your help.  I really would like to get this 8inch tablet working again.  Thanks.  Lou

dawei
    Participant

Chuwi vi8

your problem has nothing to do with bios. and this one does not work for you.

Lucien J Bourque
    Participant

Okay, then is repair somewhere in the forum?  Can you help me locate the answer?  I’ve been searching for months now, and I must admit I’m not

doing very well.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  Lou

dawei
    Participant

Okay, then is repair somewhere in the forum? Can you help me locate the answer? I’ve been searching for months now, and I must admit I’m not doing very well. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Lou

http://bbs.chuwi.com/forum-75-1.html

you only need to learn some chinese.

Lucien J Bourque
    Participant

hehe !  you’re funny, Dawei, but I’m having more problems learning these days  When we travelled to China three years ago, never had any problems with

the Chinese, they spoke either English or French, at least the ones accompanying us.  hehe !  Afraid, my age is now an inconvenience.  I did mean T H I S

Forum, by the way, not a Chinese forum.   Any ideas what I need to do?  Thanks. Lou

dawei
    Participant

Hello Dawei, Can you tell me if I can use the above to flash the bios on my Chuwi vi8 dualboot tablet? It won’t boot past the two Windows and Android icons, while neither one works, I get the Windows error: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’ll restart for you. etc… Inacessible boot device. This happened while trying to go back to Windows 8.1 from Windows 10. Unfortunately, I did something to the bios which was available then, and I don’t know what it was, some five or six months ago. Thanks v.m. for your help. I really would like to get this 8inch tablet working again. Thanks. Lou

http://forum.chuwi.com/thread-241-1-1.html

Bruno
    Participant

I tried updating the firmware using the executable inside the “hi8 bios.rar” file and it crashed right after erasing the boot partition, now my tablet doesn’t boot and the led indicator is not blinking anymore.

Bruno
    Participant

well, I didn’t read the newer 64bit firmware for dual os was meant for S/N below 2000, mine is 4136. even if I buy a CH341a programmer where do I find the bios file for tablets with the lower serial numbers?

usb host still powers devices, I read somewhere I could try copying some files to the root directory of a flash drive, but what files?

dawei
    Participant

well, I didn’t read the newer 64bit firmware for dual os was meant for S/N below 2000, mine is 4136. even if I buy a CH341a programmer where do I find the bios file for tablets with the lower serial numbers? usb host still powers devices, I read somewhere I could try copying some files to the root directory of a flash drive, but what files?

you read it wrong again. This bios is for dual boot hi8 pro only. it is not for sn below 2000.

Snake
    Participant

Here is a backup of the bios I had (I made the backup with the aptio v efi bios tool) https://mega.nz/#!49FiFQII!Jv-FjkCdVSO9pcZqvOCQ3SqMqAoGSULIWTutLKx4AIg . It the one dated 12/31. It works fine. You will have to flash it through the efi shell. Here is intel’s 32 bit efi bios update tool fpt.efi https://mega.nz/#!JoURWSZJ!S3-PsC7PljwIsb-v9jxSV6kkLqrOkG7IFPwqfMcMYWw . Or you can use amibios’ aptio V version of the efi flashing tool available here: https://ami.com/download-license-agreement/?DownloadFile=AMIBIOS_and_Aptio_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip I don’t recommend the dos or windows aptio v bios flashing tools, they’re prone to crash. I also don’t recommend the alpha bios released by chuwi, as its 64 bit (and the 12/31 version is 32 bit) and its very likely your tablet will become a paperweight after an attempt at flashing it. Put the files (unzipped, of course) on a flash drive (in the root of the flash drive, preferably), plug in your usb c otg or micro otg with usb c adapter (in my case) and enter the bios by hitting “del” at bootup. I turn quiet boot off, in the boot options and set the boot up to 3 second delay, for future use. Then go to the very right menu and select load efi shell from a usb drive (or something like that), it will load the efi shell, hit “esc” after a few seconds (when it says to hit “esc”), or it will reboot. Mount the usb drive by typing “fs3:”. Then type “fpt.efi -f backup.rom” (to flash via the intel method, provided the files are on the root of the usb, if not, just type ls and it will give you a directory list) or “afuefi.efi backup.rom” (to flash with amibios’ tool). After it completes (with both amibios and intel methods) it should reset, but if not, type “reset”, it will go into the bios and do the actual flashing at that point. I would recommend you backup your current bios with the amibios tool, by typing “afuefi.efi /O”, that’s an oh, not a zero, as I don’t want to be responsible if things do go well. It will backup the current rom to the root of the usb, or whatever folder you are currently in. In fact, I am not responsible, and this is done at your own risk and I would also highly recommend the battery be completely charged. I would also recommend the intel method of flashing the bios through the efi shell, as that is what the folks at chuwi do. Please backup the current bios and charge the battery first though. Hope this helps somebody. Also, if your tablet is already borked, you can try, just putting the backup of the bios on a thumb drive, in the root of the drive and name it amiboot.rom . might work, might not, sometimes the naming of the rom differs, you will have to run Andy P’s SLIC tool from My Digital Life to be certain the name is correct. Most bios manufacturers have a secure boot portion of the bios that is protected and in instances of “total annihilation” of your bios, you can still recover because this secure boot portion of the bios will be “looking” for the rom on the primary usb port upon powering on.

Hello Robert, thanks for this information I will try, I have the bios 109 and your one seem to be more recent. Is it better and will solve the battery/screen issue ? Do you know if it’s for a specific model of HI8PRO ? Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar