USB OS Live trouble

USB OS Live trouble

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series USB OS Live trouble

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    FatEnzo
    Participant

Hi.

I try to use a Linux Distribution in a live setup. I create a bootable USB stick with E2B (works with EFI system), but when I try to use the stick on the Jumper Ezbook pro 3, and don’t works ย ๐Ÿ™

The system, simply, start with windows.

In bios the switch ‘security boot’ is disabled

In bios the boot order it seem correct (first: usb stick . second: windows).

I’m unable to obatain my dear Live Linux distribution.

Please can You help me to fix my errors?

Thanks. ย ๐Ÿ™‚

FatEnzo
    Participant

๐Ÿ™‚ ย ๐Ÿ™‚ Nobody use a “live” via USB? ๐Ÿ™‚ ย ๐Ÿ™‚

Please, show me the way…

Simon
    Participant

Go into the bios and go right to SAVE & EXIT, then down to BOOT OVERRIDE, select your USB stick and press ENTER.

Note that most live Linux distro’s don’t work because the notebook uses a 32bit boot loader and is incompatible. There is a thread here about getting Linux to work. I have found very few linux distro’s that work. I think this is not a good notebook to use linux on.

Ulric
    Participant

@FatEnzo : what Linux distro do you want to run? And do you want to just run live session or install it?

I wouldn’t say, that EZB3 pro is not good notebook to use Linux on, there are issues and install process isn’t as straightforward as could be, but issues can be solved.

I was able to install Lubuntu and Manjaroย  with XFCE desktop (which I use nowadays and I am very happy with it) and was able to run live session of Arch, Mint, Antergos and Solus.

Check my thread on Linux Questions, that could help you.

If there is demand, I could write more step by step tutorial for installing Linux on EZB3 Pro here on TechTablets.

Good luck,

U.

Simon
    Participant

@Ulric: I’d appreciate a write up on getting linux live and installs working. I wasn’t able to follow your thread on Linux Questions or here. I don’t understand much about linux so I want to use something simple like Ubuntu or Elementary. Sorry for hijacking FatEnzo.

FatEnzo
    Participant

Thanks to Simon and Ulric. ๐Ÿ™‚

I would try to installa,on SSD my classic setup with Win 10 and Linux Lubit (my preferred Linux SO).

First step: buy a very good SSD Sata III then try to install thre double boot.

Unnforynately I have not time…but vacation is coming!

SEAN HUYNH
    Participant

@ulric, how about installing Phoenix OS or Remix OS for a dual boot? I still get that blinking cursor and it freezes there.

Utaminna
    Participant

Trying: Double Boot Windows + Antergos (Both on SSD)

Source: Ulric step-by-step (for touchpad solution) & rEFInd tutorial for installing the boot manager

Knowledge:

• need to know basic command for cmd / powershell
    • need to know how to make liveusb from rufus (either windows installer usb / linux live usb)
    • coffee, for the patience

The-not-so-good-how-to (Beware ! do it at your own risk !)

1. On the eMMC’s windows, download rEFInd (you can find it at http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html) – Choose the binary zip one
    2. Extract it, and open the CMD or PowerShell (Run as Adminitrator)
    3. Follow the Step-By-Step listed on here (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows) — This is what you need to type on the powershell / cmd
      • mountvol S: /S
      • cd \path\to\your\extracted\refind-binary-zip\ ย –>ย  example: cd \Users\Utaminna\Downloads\refind-bin-0.10.9\
      • xcopy /E refind S:\EFI\refind\
      • S:
      • cd EFI\refind
      • rename refind.conf.sample refind.conf
      • bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efiย 
        • IF THIS COMMAND doesnt work, try to use the double quote on the {bootmgr} –>bcdedit /set “{bootmgr}” path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi
    4. After this step-by-step is done, rEFInd is installed, try to reboot the windows, and now your bootmgr will be changed to rEFInd instead of the normal windows one ๐Ÿ™‚
    5. If refind is installed, you can try to boot the windows installer USB / linux live USB (must be the UEFI one, dont use the BIOS one !)

Tips:

1. Install Windows first, then install linux, dont install linux first, then install windows.
    2. When installing the windows, I did NOT wiping the eMMC EFI partition and he RECOVERY, only deleting the Windows on eMMC partition. –> this is bad practice, because you cant swipe the ssd to the other pc instantly.
    3. For installing the linux, when partitioning, DONT install the bootmanager (GRUB / whatever else), choose the /boot the same one as windows EFI partition / where the refind is)
    4. After installing the linux, you will find out that the touchpad (this notebook is awesome, only this touchpad have the problem !)is not working, so you need to use usb mouse for a while, follow the ulric instruction for the mod, posted by UoF (this linkย http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/jumper-ezbook-3-pro-can%27t-boot-from-usb-most-of-common-linux-distros-4175605766/page2.html)
      • Some distros doesnt use the update-initframs anymore, so instead of using the update-initframs, you need to useย mkinitcpio

I’m attaching my gparted partition (/boot/efi on emmc, windows10 & antergos on sda1 / SSD)

That’s all, hope u can install and run it well ๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Utaminna
    Participant
    Knowledge:

need to know basic command for cmd / powershell
    need to know how to make liveusb from rufus (either windows installer usb / linux live usb)
    coffee, for the patience

The-not-so-good-how-to (Beware ! do it at your own risk !)
    Install new Windows on SSD (or if you just want to use windows from eMMC and Linux from SSD, skip the install windows on SSD)

Follow the Step-By-Step listed on here -- This is what you need to type on the powershell / cmd 

Follow the step until the bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi

IF THIS COMMAND doesn't work, try to use the double quote on the {bootmgr}

bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi

After this step-by-step is done, rEFInd is installed, try to reboot the windows, and now your bootmgr will be changed to rEFInd instead of the normal windows one :)
    If refind is installed, you can try to boot linux live USB (must be the UEFI one, dont use the BIOS one when creating it with rufus !
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar