USB-PD Power Bank for Mix Plus

USB-PD Power Bank for Mix Plus

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus USB-PD Power Bank for Mix Plus

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mobby_6kl
    Participant

Hi all, I’m trying to extend the battery life of my Mix+ for long plane trips and such.

At first I tried powering it through the AC jack from a regular USB 2A power bank and a 5V->12V boost converter like this one but it wouldn’t take charge – the red LED would come on for a few second and turn off again. Tried multiple converters and even with my switching bench supply it wouldn’t work. The stock AC adapter is fine though. Has anyone experienced this too? Or is it just something wonky with my unit?

Anyway, the other solution is a USB-PD power bank. But for travelling, I don’t want a giant 28Ah brick that I’ve seen people confirm as working on these forums. Unfortunately most 10Ah models only deliver 12V at most. For example, I’m considering this Blitzwolf P10 which supports the following:

Output TYPE C Output: 5V=3A,9V=2A,12V=1.5A

So, can anyone confirm if the Mix will charge with PD at 12V only? Thanks.

riceart
    Participant

18W from power delivery is too small. You will need at last 24W power output. Preferable 30W.

Levi
    Participant

The Baseus 45W powerbank on aliexpress will work .

riceart
    Participant

The Baseus 45W powerbank on aliexpress will work .

Im not sure if this baseus will work. I have three baseus pd chargers, 30W car charger, 30W and 60W wall chargers and all of them do not want charge Cube mix plus. They only work if i plug them throught dodocool 7in1 hub. I wonder if this powerbank has same issue but i would not risk ordering another baseus.

regards.

mobby_6kl
    Participant

18W from power delivery is too small. You will need at last 24W power output. Preferable 30W.

So you’re like 50% correct. I decided to give it a try anyway when it was on sale on Amazon cheaper than from China.

While it does not charge the tablet, it is detected properly when I plug it in and it does keep the tablet from discharging. Which is really good enough for me, since all I wanted was to extend the battery life. Also this is at maximum TPD/turbo settings, perhaps at 4W or lower settings it could even charge it. I might do some experiments now that I’m quarantined and have nothing better to do 🙂

david
    Participant

deleted

david
    Participant

I might do some experiments now that I’m quarantined and have nothing better to do 🙂

any update on this? i’m also interested on power bank for cubemix

mobby_6kl
    Participant

mobby_6kl wrote:

I might do some experiments now that I’m quarantined and have nothing better to do 🙂

any update on this? i’m also interested on power bank for cubemix

The update is that the original Forsee SSD died and I forgot about it for a while 🙂

But I now tried charging it from 58% with no overclocking and even locked it down to 400Mhz but it still won’t charge. As riceart said, it’s probably just not enough and you need 15V @2A or something. But it does extend the battery life significantly so I’m not too upset.

As for the SSD, if anyone’s curious the writes became extremely slow and reads would get stuck sometimes to the point it could take a minute to unlock the tablet. Eventually it failed to boot, but I did have a backup image thankfully.

I put in a Transcend MTS430S 256GB and it’s super snappy again.

david
    Participant

if it helps somebody I’m using the 20000mah powerbank from xiaomi ”mi powerbank 3 pro” 45w and works like a charm… it charges the cubemix very fast and no problem till now

mobby_6kl
    Participant

if it helps somebody I’m using the 20000mah powerbank from xiaomi ”mi powerbank 3 pro” 45w and works like a charm… it charges the cubemix very fast and no problem till now

Yeah, thanks! Many of the larger power banks (20Ah) seem to support >30W out over USB-PD which should definitely work great. I just didn’t want a huge brick to carry with me, the smaller ones are just about small enough that I can carry them in the bag or even in the pocket if I think I’ll need it.

Here’s a test I just ran.

Tablet set to TPD Down in BIOS, using live Debian system because I screwed around with power plans and XTU too much by now. Brightness at around 25%, connected to access point around 2m away and playing a 10 hours of underwater video from BBC.

So it lasted almost exactly 4 hours on the powerbank and then another 3:15 on the battery (which definitely needs to be calibrated). It’d be great to last 8 hours without the power bank but still, not too bad. I think this youtube test was pretty hard on it, as it had to run wifi and decoding all the time, it would probably last forever reading a book or typing stuff.

Another interesting thing is that the power bank is 37Wh while the standard Cube battery is (supposedly) 33Wh. I didn’t have a way to measure USB-C current but I tested the powerbank at 5V and 2A and it put out around 6500mAh, or 33Wh according to the USB tester. So that’s actually a higher efficiency than Blitzwolf is claiming (85%). And considering the Cube battery is around 2 years old, that result wasn’t too bad either, I thought i’d be shot by now.

riceart
    Participant

I tried linux on cube i get very aggresive throttling. If i try for example sculpt on this device it throttles to 800mhz and is almost not usable. Temps are around 60’C. In windows it gets very hot like 90’C but never throttles.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password