USB ports quite low powered – use active hub for SSD cloning!

USB ports quite low powered – use active hub for SSD cloning!

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro USB ports quite low powered – use active hub for SSD cloning!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank Siegert
    Participant

Upon upgrading my new F6 Pro to a 512 GB SSD (Transcend MTS400S) I stumbled upon a weird issue. I attached the new SSD in a M2 casing by USB as I usuall do. It showed up in Windows 10 (diskmgmt.msc) and the cloning software did find it too.

The cloning process ran fine up to about 20-30% then exited with a error ‘timeout / device not available’. This happened both for the Easeus Backup Lite and the Transcend SSD Scope clone software and a noname USB3 M2 casing from Aliexpress. With another external USB3 M.2 case from Inatek it did not work at all, the SSD even never showed up.

I have used the same hardware for upgrading the SSD of a Jumper EZBook Pro V5, so I was a bit dumbstruck at first. Finally I noticed the USB power the F6 Pro provides is much less than that of EZBook, a USB voltage/current sniffer showed a voltage drop to < 4.4V when the external M2 casing with the SSD was attached and accessed. So the USB ports just have enough power to drive a common USB stick but beyond that a powered USB hub is the way to go. I attached a powered USB3 hub and was finally a happy camper.

Otherwise the upgrade to 512GB using the Transcend SSD Scope software (which can auto-resize partitions, I prefer it to the Easeus Backup way) went without further hick up. Also I can report the Transcend MTS400S does a great job in my F6 Pro. As usual YMMV.

seeb
    Participant
    hello, a link for this Transcend SSD 512 GB?
    Frank Siegert
    Participant
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password