Using Makrium Reflect to create and restore image.

Using Makrium Reflect to create and restore image.

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Using Makrium Reflect to create and restore image.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Al
    Participant

I have purchased a Cube iWork 10 Pro with dual OS. I’m impressed with screen quality, particularly with W10 part of it, but have very limited experience with Android.  I  use Macrium Reflect on my laptop and like it a lot. So far, I have installed the Macrium on Cube iWork10 Pro using W10, made Image and Recovery Disk on USB flash.

1. Did someone succeeded to fully restore from Macrium Image the W10 and Android parts?
    2. How to boot up from Macrium Image Recovery USB Flash to start image restoration?
    3. Will the W10 and Android  be fully restored and operational?
    Chris G
    Keymaster

I never tried it with dual boots sadly.

2. USB keyboard or the keyboard and hit esc or del on boot. From the save and exit menu go to your USB pen drive to boot the rescue media.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Al
    Participant

Chris,

How can I support? I was trying to donate $10 through Pay-Pal but in in Spanish.

Best,

Alex

PS. It seems that my name and password were assigned automatically. What is my all my identifications, including password

robert ammann
    Participant

I performed a full restore of a Macrium image on my teclast x98 air 3g (dual Boot )  last week. Perfect! No problem. So I think it should work on Your Cube device too. Try and let us know the result. If You want to restore Android only, uncheck the checkbox for the Windows partitions during the restore dialog. 3 Partitions, 1 fat32, 2 NTFS. The the restore will be fast!

Al
    Participant

Thanks so much robert amman,

I can boot to BIOS from W10. What and where in BIOS should I make changes to boot up from image recovery USB flash to start restore?

Will the image include Android and W10?

From Laura:  https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/the-big-thread-of-how-tos/ mentioned that:

1. boot into windows
    2. install macrium reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)
    3. open reflect
    4. select the eMMc disk
    5. click “image this disk”
    6. choose the destination folder, obviously it will have to be on an external drive
    7. follow the wizard to the end

please note that no matter what backup software you use, if you restore the entire disk image (specifically, the android partitions) android will NOT boot anymore. This is because Cube (or rather, their ODM) enabled dm-verity so the system detects that it has been “tampered” and  just hangs at boot. to fix that you should reflash the official android image with the files provided by Cube, or use a modified boot.img (see rooting section)

Did you restore Android part and was able to boot Android?

robert ammann
    Participant

Ok, AI

You wrote that you made a fool backup with macrium reflect to usb drive and Windows is still booting.

Because you do not want and need to restore windows you can do the restore direct from the macrium installed in windows.

Connect the usb drive with the Macrium image to the tablet. Connecting a mouse is also recommended!

Boot into Windows and open Macrium. Select the “restore” tab and then browse for Your image file on the usb drive. Double click on it.

In the upper part of the window the partition layout of your tablet is shown. The lower part shows the image section. There click “restore image”.

A popup window opens. the upper part of the popup shows now your image. In the lower part click “select a disk to restore..” A new popup opens and there You click the Disk symbol. Now there will be the target disk in the lower window part.

Now very important! Uncheck the checkbox for all Windows related partitions. There should be 3 of them. If you see “fat32” or “NTFS” then it is a Win partition Uncheck the checkbox for each! Use the mouse for scrolling, because 2 win parts. are probably located at the end of the disk.

Then click “continue” and after that click “finish” and restore will start.

After that shutdown and check if Android starts or not.

If You want restore Windows You can do only from the Macrium boot stick.

Ask me if You have more questions.

robert ammann
    Participant

Sorry I forgot to write how to find a Macrium recovery stick in the bios. You need a keyboard. Navigate thru the bios tabs. I think in the last tab there will be  a item “boot override” there the Macrium stick should be listed. Move there, then press “enter” and Macrium will boot from the stick. If there is no “boot override” section, then a “boot order” section will be there. You must make usb hd as first boot media.

Al
    Participant

Thanks robert ammann,

I have attached a BIOS screen picture for your review. I did not see a “boot override” unless there is a special trick to display it.

I like this Tablet, especially screen, and will report later what I don’t like.  I wish would be a forum dedicated to Cube iWork10 Pro

Thanks for help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    robert ammann
    Participant

Hi Al,

I wrote: For Android restore  only You don´t have to boot from the USB disk (stick). You can do directly from Macrium installed on your tablet. Boot tablet into Windows and start Macrium, Attach Usb drive containing Your Macrium image and restore the Android partitions only by excluding the Win parts.( fat32 and NTFS ) ,as I  described above. Using a usb mouse for better handling I recommend. If You need more assistance for the restore let me know.

Boot from the macrium usb stick: Connect the stick to the tablet go into the Bios.  Did  you take the Bios screen Foto while the boot stick was connected? I don´t exactly know, but I assume You that You will  see the stick in the “boot option priorities” then move there and press enter..?? or change position. What about the last line in the bios, did You expand to see what it contains?

robert ammann
    Participant

May be some screenshots can help. Don´t be confused I opened a copy of my tablets image on my PC, so the target layout looks different.

After having done all these steps click next and after that click finish for execute. I hope You will do.

Attachments:
    robert ammann
    Participant

There are two different editions of cube iwork pro. Means different CPU´s. Is Your CPU z8350 or another one?

I have links to the original software for both models. But its a hell to download it. I tried and the counter says 15+ ours!

I can hardly believe that Android would not start after restore. Lara wrote somewhere that somebody had tried, but …

But could be somebody made did something wrong by restoring or backuping.

robert ammann
    Participant

@mikasa

What the hell are You fooling around with Your nonsense post in this thread. You are destructive. Shame over You! You are a spammer.

Al
    Participant

Navigate thru the bios tabs. I think in the last tab there will be a item “boot override” there the Macrium stick should be listed. Move there, then press “enter” and Macrium will boot from the stick. If there is no “boot override” section, then a “boot order” section will be there. You must make usb hd as first boot media.[/quote]

Hi robert ammann,
    I do understand that restore Img. from inside Macrium is not a problem. I want to try to restore using restore media to boot up Macrium if system failed to boot W10.
    1. I have created a Restore Media on USB Sandisk Cruze (see pic) and Img. backup on another USB Flash. (see pic)
    2. Under BOOT Tab: in Fixed Boot Option Priority-Boot Option #1=USB LAN and I CAN’T CHANGE IT!!! to Sandisk Cruze with Restore Media.
    in Boot Option Priority-Boot Option #1 and #2 =Sandisk Cruze with Restore Media.
    3. Under Security Tab: Secure Boot Menu=Disabled
    4. Saved & Exit with Restore Media inserted in Tablet’s USB2 port and Flash with Img inserted in K-board’s USB. W10 would boot to W10 instead of Makrium.
    The only reason is left: I can’t change Fixed Boot Option Priority-from Boot Option #1=USB LAN to USB SanDisk with Restore Media.
    Issue during UEFI/BIOS changing:
    1. As soon as Bios screen appears TABS selection (Main, Advanced, etc) starts scrolling itself from Main to Save & Exit and back. Finally, it starts stopping and I was able to get inside TAB.
    2. Clicking ENTER over option Boot Option #1 and others would not display selection unless you wait and click ENTER many time. The BOIS editing is very difficult to complete and save.
    What do you think about.
    P.S. What is it?
    @mikasa
    What the hell are You fooling around with Your nonsense post in this thread. You are destructive. Shame over You! You are a spammer.

Attachments:
    robert ammann
    Participant

May be I wrote something Wrong. But I think You Know. Navigate in Bios with the arrow Keys. Use the right arrow to expand options, up and down for move and finally and finally enter for make a new choice. If you don´t want to change press esc. All that You can read in the Bios window itself.

Considering the images, everything looks perfect to me (Why don´t rotate the pictures  for make it easier to watch them? ). Try first without the second USB pen, containing the image file,  connected (power problems?).

Finally, create the bootable stick as a pure UEFI one and try again.

If nothing helps, then send a message to Chris and ask him. Ask him to post his answer in Your thread.

robert ammann
    Participant

P.s: Did you try to move to UEFI disk in the “Boot option priorities” and then press enter on option #1 ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar