Video of recommended thermal mod

Video of recommended thermal mod

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube i7 Book Video of recommended thermal mod

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Papa Yoyo
    Participant

I purchased both 1mm & 0.5mm shims not knowing. I will see what it looks like tomorrow when I crack mine open. I wasn’t quite sure the manufacture used for a heatsink/shield on the processor.

Any update on which shim was better? I’d like to know if the 0.5mm shim I got is ok.

mrobi
    Participant

After the mod, how does the casing of the tablet feel when doing things like surfing, watching video’s etc? Since I won’t be benchmarking 24/7, I don’t care about high casing temperature during that, but I would like to be able to hold the tablet without burning my hands when doing regular things.

Well it still gets warm, though not so much just by surfing and YouTube. Only game I play atm is Age of Empires : Castle Siege and during game tablet gets warm but I haven’t got it hot (though my game sessions arent that long)

I don´r understand your point number 6. Where do you attach cooper pad to stock cooler??? Can you post a photo or explain better??? Your mod it´s in my opinion the best…

I made blog post where I tried to explain my setup more detailed, and some pics. Should taken more pics but forgot. Not trying to compete Chris 🙂

Cube I7 Book light thermal mod

Rafael
    Participant

It took a while to arrive the materials, an afternoon and a mini drilling machine to cut the cooper plate and make the holes, but now it’s much cooler. Thanks for the tutorial

Wylver
    Participant

-disregard double post-

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Wylver
    Participant

I’ve done my thermal mod and want to share my process, the materials used and my experiences with it overall.

First let me post a list and links to the materials and tools I used:

15 x 15 x 0,5 mm copper shim
    20 x 20 x 1 mm copper shim
    plastic prying tool for phones/tablets (blue)
    100 x 100 x 0,15 mm adhvesive thermal tape
    100 x 100 x 0,15 mm thermal pad
    Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound
    Rubbing alcohol: 99% isopropylic alcohol for cleaning all contact surfaces

I want to start by saying that it was a breeze to open the tablet using the prying tool. The lip to insert between the two pieces is very thin and because of the broad tool it is easy to apply the right amount of pressure, plus it is made of plastic to protect the contact materials.

I’ve used two different sized copper shims which I attached to the existing aluminum heatspreader using the thermal tape, for further refernece look at the provided pictures. The big one I taped to the indentation on the cpu side of the heatspreader where the original thermal pad has been. The smaller one was taped to the cover side of the heatspreader where the little recessed area is. 15×15 mm is a little to big for the recess so I had to file down one side of the copper shim by 1-2 mm.

I went for the Noctua thermal compound because I have had good experiences with it in the past and because of the very simple application. My application method of choice for this thermal mod was a rice sized drop on the processor without smearing it all over the place.

Afterwards the thermal pad was cut down to the size of the heatspreader and applied on top of the heatspreader (cover side) after that one was screwed back in place.

Using the mentioned materials the tablet went back together flush and I cant see any pressure spot on the casing or the display, that means you can safely use a 1 mm thick shim on top of the processor if your method of fixation isn’t too thick.

And now to the results: (pictures for reference)

I shaved of around 16°C from the Tj-max temperature of 100°C and went to 84°C.

The testing method was the intel XTU GPU stresstest for 10 minutes and 10-15 min of small FFT torture test in Prime95. No more thermal throttling and during the GPU stress test the gpu frequency was at a constant ~800MHz.

Attachments:
    Dhr. Jeep
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Can I ask, did you use the voltage tweak as well? I read people extending the voltage, also with the Intel software you mentioned. I would like to increase as much performance as possible 🙂

Wylver
    Participant

I did the same thing Chris mentioned in one of his videos.

Disabled the “Turbo Boost Short Power Max”

and increased the “Turbo Boost Power Max” to 15W.

This way you can make sure that the processor and IGPU stays at max clock provided good enough cooling.

Although i can still run into thermal throttling by doing synthetic benchmarks.

Attachments:
    Dhr. Jeep
    Participant

Without the XTU settings I still get 92 degrees during gaming. This is with the copper shim +thermal pad mods. It took off 4 degrees, not sure if I did something wrong..

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password