Voyo VBook i3 mini review

Voyo VBook i3 mini review

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jase 2 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jase
    Participant

I was looking to buy a Surface Go with LTE so I could run my office remotely and not need to tether to my phone. I tried to get info about purchasing one of these from the MS store on Lazada in Thailand, but as with most scenarios here, talking to my dog is more useful. I therefore started looking for an alternative device and the highest specced model I could find was the VBook i3 from Voyo on Chris‘ favorite store, Aliexpress.

I placed my order just before Chinese New Year, which wasn’t very clever, but the seller clearly communicated that there would be a delay, which was duly accepted. I ordered the package with the pen and the wallet case, as other models of Voyo’s addon keyboards have been less than stellar, which came in at $339.86 which compared to the $870 for the actual Surface Go LTE with type case (now available on pre-order here) is a bargain.

My tablet arrived a couple of weeks after CNY and to my delight, they included a type cover also. Its not nearly as bad as I expected and am happy to use it. The build quality is fine and the kick stand just the same as the MS one. The screen is good and has good touch response. I have speed tested the Emmc memory and its fine at:

Write speed: 99.93 MB/s
    Copy speed: 82.86 MB/s
    Read speed: 112.4 MB/s

All 8Gb of RAM are recognised and I was hoping Chris could do a review of this device to see about upgrading with either another 8Gb stick of RAM or using 2 new sticks of 4Gb to make use of dual threading.

For now, I am impressed. Let’s see how I feel once I start using it in earnest (and once I have bought some batteries for the pen).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jase
    Participant

I have ran into the first issue. I can’t get the stylus pen to work.

Does anyone know which drivers the bundled pen uses?

Jase
    Participant

It seems the genius at the computer shop my son went to hasn’t heard of AAAA batteries and instead loaded it up with a load of small watch batteries. The joy of living in Asia…

I can’t source locally without getting off my fat a**e, so I have ordered some.

I have also installed a 200Gb SD card which is recognised and appears to work fine. Video conferencing works well, with the mic being clear, but the speaker volume sucks. I will use a set of headphones with a mic in future (the headphone jack is a dual mic/hp port).

I’ll talk to myself a little more when I get a SIM card added…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password