Why Atom Cherry-Trail devices blow, esp. for Linux fans

Why Atom Cherry-Trail devices blow, esp. for Linux fans

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Why Atom Cherry-Trail devices blow, esp. for Linux fans

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BBaker 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

BBaker
    Participant

Why it makes no sense to go for an cherry-trail device, even one with the Atom X7-Z8700, if you are a fan of Linux (and possibly Remix OS?).
    TL;DR – A Celeron N3150 or N3160 has the same power, less heat/throttling problems, and you can run Linux/Ubuntu on it which runs MUCH faster than Windows.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/06/06/intle-atom-x7-z8700-cherry-trail-vs-intel-celeron-n3150-braswell-benchmarks-comparison/

So in the end, both processors have a very close performance, except for video chat encoding where the Atom processor is about 56% slower than the Celeron processor. The Atom’s 16 EU GPU @ 200/600 MHz is faster than the Celeron’s 12 EU GPU @ 300/640 MHz in most case, but only marginally. Both SoCs are capable of decoding 4K videos with H.264 and H.265 video codecs. Systems based on the Intel Axom x7-Z8700 processor could consume less electricity as Atom x7 has a 2W SDP, while Celeron N3150 a 4W SDP, but the  power consumption of a complete mini PC also depends on its overall design.
    … One noticeable advantage of Braswell processors should be Linux support with the default/standard ISO images, while Atom x7 systems currently require community hacked ISO images for support of features such as HDMI audio, WiFi and Bluetooth.

Anonymous

So far my main issue is audio. I can use external USB audio card or Bluetooth speakers though.
    And the other issue is no auto kernel updates, of course.

Why it makes no sense to go for an cherry-trail device, even one with the Atom X7-Z8700, if you are a fan of Linux (and possibly Remix OS?).
    TL;DR – A Celeron N3150 or N3160 has the same power, less heat/throttling problems, and you can run Linux/Ubuntu on it which runs MUCH faster than Windows.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/06/06/intle-atom-x7-z8700-cherry-trail-vs-intel-celeron-n3150-braswell-benchmarks-comparison/

So in the end, both processors have a very close performance, except for video chat encoding where the Atom processor is about 56% slower than the Celeron processor. The Atom’s 16 EU GPU @ 200/600 MHz is faster than the Celeron’s 12 EU GPU @ 300/640 MHz in most case, but only marginally. Both SoCs are capable of decoding 4K videos with H.264 and H.265 video codecs. Systems based on the Intel Axom x7-Z8700 processor could consume less electricity as Atom x7 has a 2W SDP, while Celeron N3150 a 4W SDP, but the power consumption of a complete mini PC also depends on its overall design.
    … One noticeable advantage of Braswell processors should be Linux support with the default/standard ISO images, while Atom x7 systems currently require community hacked ISO images for support of features such as HDMI audio, WiFi and Bluetooth.

Anonymous

I’ve been thinking about getting a Cube i7 Stylus but I’m not sure it really worth’s the change from my X98 Plus because of Android…
    And not sure if Linux would run 100% fine as well in the Cube.
    At least with X98+ I have a 100% working Android in a very cheap but powerful tablet that I can charge with a normal micro-USB cable… and 100% Windows and ~80% Linux triple boot 🙂

My perfect choice would be a Celeron tablet with official (or unofficial but 100% working) Android support. Do you know some tablet like this?

Bryan
    Participant

Linux is for those looking to go the extra mile to get the best on their PC.. So I can’t see how this is a huge downfall?

BBaker
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about getting a Cube i7 Stylus but I’m not sure it really worth’s the change from my X98 Plus because of Android… And not sure if Linux would run 100% fine as well in the Cube. At least with X98+ I have a 100% working Android in a very cheap but powerful tablet that I can charge with a normal micro-USB cable… and 100% Windows and ~80% Linux triple boot ? My perfect choice would be a Celeron tablet with official (or unofficial but 100% working) Android support. Do you know some tablet like this?

No, I cannot think of on.  Maybe you’d have to install Android-X86 or Remix OS on a celeron 2-in-1 notebook.

Or maybe some other processor like a Qualcom Snapdragon?… http://liliputing.com/2016/06/jide-unveils-remix-pro-2-in-1-tablet-with-remix-os-3-0.html
    With Linux it looks like the problem is not so much the CPU support but support from the tablet makers for the touch-screen all the drivers like network, wifi, bluetooth, audio, etc….

Linux 4.6 Set To Bring A Significant Number Of New Features
    Support 13 new ARM SoCs and a lot of platform improvements. Among the ARM SoC/platform work is on Axis Artpec-6, TI Keystone-k2g, Mediatek MT7623, Allwinner A83T, NXP i.MX6QP, ST Microelectronics stm32f469, Annapurna Labs Alpine v2, Marvell Armada 3700, Marvell Armada 7000/8000, Amlogic S905, Qualcomm Snapdragon 820, Socionext UniPhier, ARM Juno Development Platform, Allwinner A64, and Broadcom Vulcan. Board/machine work includes Buffalo Linkstation LS-QVL/LS-GL, Cubietruck Plus, D-Link DIR-885L, Google Nexus 7, Homlet v2, Lamono R1, Itead Ibox, LG Optimus Black, and the Raspberry Pi Model A.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password