Will it need a thermal mod?

Will it need a thermal mod?

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Will it need a thermal mod?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Chris G
    Keymaster

The Cube i7 Book is a great tablet, but Cube didn’t place a thermal pad between the Core M3’s heatsink and the rear housing, resulting in temps reaching 88 degrees I think it was. I wound if this time around with the Cube Mix Plus they will use a thermal pad there. I hope they have given some more thought to thermals this time around and change things. If it gets too hot under long sustained loads I will open it up and take a peak.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Xiaoh123
    Participant

Hey, just got mine from Gearbest, got a fresh install on it and tried to push it in the red zone, got over 98-101°C on cores. Gonna make a mod this week-end (shim + pad) and see what happens !

Chris G
    Keymaster

Hi, once you do the mod, max temps will drop around 15 to 20 degrees C max. So it’s well worth it, the Cube Mix Plus is exactly the same unfortunately.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:

Xiaoh123
    Participant

So I did the mod, it went well compared to my x98 Pro (experience kicked in). Prying the tablet open was easy enough and scratch free, internals are very similar to i7 from the videos I watched to guide myself.

I used a shim (20*20*1) on the SoC, with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut compound, then another layer of compound on the EM shield’s bump to stick to the shim. Finally I filled the hollow in the shield with a small piece of thermal pad (Arctic, 1mm) that I pressed a lot to avoid creating a bulge, and then I covered the whole piece of metal with a large piece of pad. I couldn’t verify that the last layer of padding is touching the copper(ish?) plate glued to the back cover, but it didn’t bulge, nor made the reassembly hard, so I’m guessing it’s all good.

After a long session of installing stuff and gaming (Hearthstone) package was topping at 75°C, so it’s almost -25°C compared to my first measurement before mod. Huge downside, back cover gets burning as hell after gaming, I’ll need to get a flip cover to protect my hands/lap from that heat 🙁

But hey, I can overclock this now 🙂

Cristian Barbieri
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just ordered my Mix Plus from Gearbest; I’ve watched youtube video about Thermal Mod and I’ve bought a 50*50*1,5 thermal pad to put directly on the aluminum plate over the CPU; in your opinion this mod should be enough to lower the temperatures or instead it’s just a waste of time/money and I should use the copper + thermal paste? Thanks

Nero
    Participant

if you are not a heavy(gamer) user then its not necessary coz by adjusting the maximum processor settings downwards to anything below 80% your temps will hardly get to 60 deg c. even 50% cpu processor rate still gives you some good performance.

Cristian Barbieri
    Participant

Many thanks, bit just in case: if i add another thermal pad between external cover and aluninum plate will it vive any benefit? (so: as it’s done in the video, but without open the aluminum plate to change the pad with thermal compound + copper; just putting the pad between al plate and external cover as in the pic i’ve uploaded)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    FUCKTECHTABLET
    Participant

Many thanks, bit just in case: if i add another thermal pad between external cover and aluninum plate will it vive any benefit? (so: as it’s done in the video, but without open the aluminum plate to change the pad with thermal compound + copper; just putting the pad between al plate and external cover as in the pic i’ve uploaded)

I have been asking about using the CDK09 dock as an external heat sink
    May be your idea align with mine.
    Try that way to have a more convenient device
    Pls share your progress

FUCK FUCKTECHTABLET

Cristian Barbieri
    Participant

As soon as the mix arrives i will run all the tests and share the results. Thanks again

mixplus
    Participant

Hi all,

Just want to share my thermal mod experience. I first did thermal mod on my mix plus using 0.8mm copper shim and no brand thermal paste that purchased from aliexpress. The way I did is exactly like Chris did in the video except that I didnt smashed the aluminium heatsink to make it flat. The result, I only manage to get the temperature down like 10C while playing asphalt 8 for about 10 mniutes (from 98 to 88 C). Which I think not a good result since Chris manage to get the temp lower than 70C while playing BF4 for 10/15 min.

Then I open it up again, now I did:

1. Smashed the aluminium heatsink
    2. Put the stock thermal pad in between the aluminium heatsink and the copper shim
    3. Put another 0.8mm copper shim on top of the aluminium heatsink.

By this I get the temperature less than 75C playing asphalt 8 for 15 miniutes which is much better than my 1st attempt. Any suggestion that I can do to futher improve my thermal? By the way, I have attached my intel XTU benchmark result. Would appreciate if any of you can share their aftermod result here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Spyros G
    Participant

I have been asking about using the CDK09 dock as an external heat sink May be your idea align with mine. Try that way to have a more convenient device Pls share your progress

Have you tried that yet? I’m waiting my replacement cube mix plus (1st one’s motherboard fried after 2 hours of use and had to send it for RMA) and wanted to do the mod although I don’t want to do the complete mod just in case anything happens and I’m out of luck with warranty. So I was thinking the exact same thing as you did.

If you or anyone else actually tried it, please share the results here so me and other viewers decide if it’s worth adding just a thermal pad between the tablet’s back and the metal plate on top of the CPU.

Thank you

Cristian Barbieri
    Participant

I have been asking about using the CDK09 dock as an external heat sink May be your idea align with mine. Try that way to have a more convenient device Pls share your progress

Have you tried that yet? I’m waiting my replacement cube mix plus (1st one’s motherboard fried after 2 hours of use and had to send it for RMA) and wanted to do the mod although I don’t want to do the complete mod just in case anything happens and I’m out of luck with warranty. So I was thinking the exact same thing as you did. If you or anyone else actually tried it, please share the results here so me and other viewers decide if it’s worth adding just a thermal pad between the tablet’s back and the metal plate on top of the CPU. Thank you

I’ve done it, never used application to verify the exact temperature of the CPU, BTW it feels hotter as it should on the outside, and there is no throttling using at the same time AutoCAD + SolidWorks + PhotoshopCC. I think it works well

Spyros G
    Participant

What is the temperature like on the back, does it get hot making it hard even to touch as some have mentioned with the full mod, or its manageable?
    Also could you run aide64 and let us know the temperatures it reaches and if it throttles?
    Thank you

Alexander
    Participant

Would it be possible to use something else than this copper shim? I thought about flat heatpipes. I found one that is only 1 mm thick. Another preferred option would be a 3d heatdiffuser but with its 3mm it is way too thick.

Chris G
    Keymaster

Sure, as long as it wasn’t too thick and you had some anti-static plastic under it to stop any shorts.

Chris | Admin
    Next up for review:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar