Windows software for low performance tablet

Windows software for low performance tablet

TechTablets Forums General General Discussion Windows software for low performance tablet

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrujka
    Participant

Hu guys,

just wondering what software you use on win10 tablets, taking into account that the CPU/emmc drives are not top notch performance.

I’ll start:

1. Video player: MPC
    2. Audio player: foobar
    3. Reader: SumatraPDF
    4. Caching software: PrimoCache
    5. File management: Total commander
    6. YouTube – Perfect Tube
    7. Twitch streaming: Unstream

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for posting. I have installed a few apps you recommended. I have always hated Adobe’s constant nagging for updates! Nice lightweight apps that work well for our tablets. Community written apps +1. SourceForge +1.

I hope to see other high quality, low overhead apps posted.

Max

Andrujka
    Participant

Yup, very interested to see more added to the list.

Just realised i’ve forgot about image viewer: IrfanView

Evil E.
    Participant

Some software that I use on Windows 8/8.1/10 tablets :

Web Browser : IE11 / Edge, Google Chrome
    Media Player : VLC Media Player
    Media File information : MediaInfo
    Video encoding/transcoding : MKVToolNix, Handbrake, …
    Productivity : MS Office
    PDF Reader : Foxit PDF Reader
    Archives : 7Zip, ALZip
    Security : MS Defender, Avast Anti-Virus, KeePass Password Safe
    Backups : AOMEI Backupper, Double Driver
    System Tools : AOMEI Partition Assistant, AOMEI PE Builder, Rufus bootable USB
    Programming, … : PuTTY, Notepad++, TextCrawler, ExamDiff

Andrujka
    Participant

Thanks for posting Evil.

A couple of questions:

1. Any reason you prefer Chrome to Firefox? I find it a memory hog; i use a custom, light version of Firefox and i’m quite happy with it: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/
    2. I only do easy coding, so i’m not sure this tool will be useful for you, but it’s really fast and light: https://xhmikosr.github.io/notepad2-mod/

Also looking into using Kodi for any media comsumption (music, local/network videos, twitch, youtube, ted talks) as it seems to be REAALY lor resource using.

Evil E.
    Participant

Any reason you prefer Chrome to Firefox?

No, not particularly. I guess it’s more of a habit of having Chrome installed on a lot of the machines I come in contact with… 😉 FF is also a good web browser (also with lots of interesting plug-ins available), although (like Chrome) a bit heavy on the resources. I’m going to take a look at that light version you suggested, this might be a good choice for a low power tablet.

I only do easy coding, so i’m not sure this tool will be useful for you, but it’s really fast and light: https://xhmikosr.github.io/notepad2-mod/

Interesting suggestion, thanks a lot for the tip, Andrujka !!! 🙂

Also looking into using Kodi for any media comsumption (music, local/network videos, twitch, youtube, ted talks) as it seems to be REAALY lor resource using.

Yeah, Kodi (formerly known as XBMC for those who don’t know it) is another really nice one. How could I forget that one ??? 😮 😉
    Definitely one of the better media player softs around, and a favorite on Raspberry Pi and other Linux based media player systems.

maggie
    Participant

Not sure for that. But PDFelement can run smoothly. Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are ok.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar