Unbrick Teclast X98 Pro BIOS USB Flash

Unbrick Teclast X98 Pro BIOS USB Flash

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums X98 Pro Forum Unbrick Teclast X98 Pro BIOS USB Flash

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    hevitikku
    Participant

Second day of owning the tab and i managed to brick it.. Apparently updating device firmware through windows device manager was not a good idea(don’t do this, that’s how i ended up in this situation). The tab does not react to any type of button presses/combos. Ordered the clip and programmer, hope the will ship fast and that flashing fixes it.

Edit:

Okay, took me a while to get everything to work but i managed to reflash the bios chip using arduino duemilanove/serprog/flashrom. I used 1K and 2.2K resistors to get arduinos logic levels within spec. The tablet works now as it should.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ImADev
    Participant

I’ve got this CH341A programmer and this clip + cable. From my understanding this programmer works at 3.3v-5.0v and although it could fix things there’s a risk that it could also cause some damage. So what I’d like to know is if one of these would theoretically solve that problem?

FYI I’m rather new to this whole thing so I’m trying to keep it simple.

Voltage ref: http://www.gigadevice.com/product/detail/6/258.html?locale=en_US / http://www.fulianic.com/products_view.asp?id=153

Thanks.

Chris G
    Keymaster

There is a risk anytime you flash the bios, I’ve done it many times without damaging it on various devices. I think the chances of causing damage are slim, but you have to keep that in mind that you could kill the eprom.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

ImADev
    Participant

There is a risk anytime you flash the bios, I’ve done it many times without damaging it on various devices. I think the chances of causing damage are slim, but you have to keep that in mind that you could kill the eprom.

Yep, I’m aware that any time you flash the bios there’s a risk, but using a programmer that doesn’t output the correct voltage when programming the chip is on a whole different level as it could easily destroy it. I don’t have the skills or the steady hands to replace it either, which is why I’m wanting to drop the voltage to the correct level. I just don’t know for sure if the adapter that I linked to is sutiable for the job, but I suspect that someone like @hevitikku would know as he’s got a complex setup.

I’ve read about people using a bi-directional logic level converter from SparkFun, but that goes beyond my knowledge.

Anyone who’s not dropped the voltage to 1.8v has been really lucky. I can’t take that risk though.

hevitikku
    Participant

I actually flashed mine at something like 3.5V. It would’t read/write at lower voltages  (tried 2.8++), so I am not sure how will it work on  1.8V. But if it flashes at 1.8V I think that the adapter you linked should do the trick. You can also always try to make a voltage divider from resistors as i did. And if either don’t work you can try the 3.3v-5.0v flashing as “last resort”.

ImADev
    Participant

Hey, thanks for the reply!

It’s a little odd that you couldn’t get it to read or write at lower voltages as the accepted voltage is supposed to be between 1.65v – 2.0v.

I could go ahead with what I’ve got already instead of waiting for the adapter from China, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the risk. It’s not like I can damage the chip by using the expected voltage, but I could if I were to be impatient.

If I were more skilled I’d look into a logic level converter or using resistors, but I’m clueless when it comes to that kind of thing. That’s why everything that I’ve got is pretty much plug and play.

bubu
    Participant

Hello, I have my teclast brick pro x98 (K9C6). What BIOS and where can I download to flash?

Can I use this programmer? If the voltage is 3.3v have a problem?

Sorry for my bad English (I am Spanish)

Thx.

Jorge
    Participant

Hello, I have a teclast x98 pro k9c6, and after upgrading to version 1.13 worked well in Android 1 hour, reboot into windows and after 5 minutes off and no longer works. What do I have to buy? What to do? thanks for the help

ImADev
    Participant

@bubu
    http://techtablets.com/teclast-x98-pro/downloads/

That programmer will work, but you could get the newer version. Don’t forget that you’ll also need a SOP8/SOIC8 clip and cable. I’d also recommend getting the 1.8v adapter just so you don’t risk permanently killing the device.

ImADev
    Participant

I’ve already wrote this out once, but for some reason my post isn’t displayed. Anyway, the adapter was delivered the other day and I’m pleased to say that it worked perfectly. I just had to attach the clip to the chip and write the BIOS.

@bubu
    It’ll work, but you can get the newer version for cheaper. Also don’t forget that you’ll need a clip and cable. I’d also recommend getting the 1.8v adapter, just so you don’t permanently kill the tablet.

bubu
    Participant

I’ve already wrote this out once, but for some reason my post isn’t displayed. Anyway, the adapter was delivered the other day and I’m pleased to say that it worked perfectly. I just had to attach the clip to the chip and write the BIOS. @bubu It’ll work, but you can get the newer version for cheaper. Also don’t forget that you’ll need a clip and cable. I’d also recommend getting the 1.8v adapter, just so you don’t permanently kill the tablet.

Thanks for your answer. I bought the programmer and the adapter that you said.

I have some doubts. you kindly answer?

This is the bios I have to put: X98 Pro Bios 1.13 K9C6 EMMC Fix?
    You can tell me that configuration has worked for you in the program?
    You can say what position it will put the adapter and the clip?

Thank you.

PS: someone tried bios 1.6? This in 4pda.ru

ImADev
    Participant

Type: SPI FLASH
    Manu: GIGADEVICE
    Name: GD25Q64

You can get v1.18 of the program and the drivers from this website.

The pink wire is pin 1. Pin 1 needs to go on the circular indent on the chip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,

I’ve bricked my teclast x98 plus, I’ve bought the eeprom programmer and the clip, and I ‘ve flasehed de bios, and the process go well, but when I try to turn on the tablet does nothing. If I put a pen drive, the led light intermittently.

What is the problem?

ImADev
    Participant

Are you sure that the battery isn’t flat? And did you verify the flash and check that you’ve flashed the correct BIOS?

You didn’t mention using a 1.8v adapter, so there’s a chance that you’ve killed the chip.

bubu
    Participant

Type: SPI FLASH Manu: GIGADEVICE Name: GD25Q64 You can get v1.18 of the program and the drivers from this website.

The pink wire is pin 1. Pin 1 needs to go on the circular indent on the chip.

I have it clear . The link is down . You can upload the files? Thank you very much for your help.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar