Broken Chuwi 14.1, bad hinges

Broken Chuwi 14.1, bad hinges

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series Broken Chuwi 14.1, bad hinges

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Justinkeyback
    Participant

I was over a year a happy user of Chuwi until a few weeks back when my screen got broken. I noticed some time that when closing the lid there came some play between the body and the lid. This play got worse and worse. Until pieces of glass came of. So I had ordered another screen, as I could choose I took the matte version, which is a very good one.  As it is all glued I could not install the new screen without tearing it off the back of the lid and glue the new one in place. The screws of one hinge, on the right side, got loose inside or rather at the backside or behind the screen. I don’t know how to explain. But I report it here for anyone that it is good to know that when there happens to start some play between the screen and the body, one should immediately go for warranty. I did go beyond warranty period but am still happy with my lapbook.

Pictures tell there own story.

Cheers to all!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sx C
    Participant

damn this is another example of why manufacturers should not design anything with a glass screen/bezel unless it is absolutely necessary for touch input etc.

Vito Maran
    Participant

HI,

I have the same problem. Namely, after a 5 months  of use my hinges start to break. Manufacturer declare 30 000 Times shaft turn (https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-LapBook-Air.html).

On images you can see that one shaft is good while another (right side) is exposing metal part that supposed to be extremely good glued.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Justinkeyback
    Participant

Right, so it starts! But it is not the glue, but the screws that get loose. But you cannot get to them. Can you still make use of your warranty?

Vito Maran
    Participant

Hi Justin. Thanks for reply.

I just wrote them from Aliexpress account. Unfortunately, I didn’t found link on their site for warranty. So I don’t know how to claim my warranty.

Could you tell please, how did you asked for warranty? And where did you get the new screen? Was it hard to connect new screen?

Chris G
    Keymaster

So the screws are behind the bottom glass bezel and not the ones under the rear lid? This is bad news if those come loose with no way to tighten them!

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

ecdysiast
    Participant

Has anyone found a way to fix these hinges?  On mine the plastic piece in the main body broke, so the hinge is adrift.

Roy
    Participant

Have same problem after 3 months the plastic on the main body is very flimsy and shattered no the hinge is adrift and cannot open the laptop whitout damaging the screen 🙁

ecdysiast
    Participant

On my Jumper EZBook 3 Pro the black plastic frame on the main body side (not screen side) of the case broke because the hinge on that side became too hard to open.  The plastic broke and the brass ferrules were no longer held in the plastic.  Thus the hinge on that side was not held down to anything.

I used JB Weld 2-part epoxy, supposed to be good for metal, plastic, and metal-to-plastic bonding, to repair the plastic part.  I pressed the ferrules into the glued plastic before the glue had set.    I completely removed the hinge and took it apart and sanded it down so that it opened easier.  However, it still must have some resistance in order to hold the screen up.  When the glue had set (>24 hrs) I replaced the hinge.

For these computers it is important to use a hand on both sides to open them, so one hinge or the other is not too stressed.  Or, open in the middle.  And do not handle the computer by the screen.  The plastic in the frame in the body and on the screen side is fairly fragile.

toloco
    Participant

Hi!
    How did you fix it in the end??
    I Have the _exact_ same problem and was looking to order a new screen. But I noticed that the front glass looks glued. To be more specific with my questions:

-Did the new screen come with a front glass replacement?

-Is the screen now closing / opening correctly? (In your repair pic it seems you are holding the screen with some elastics)

If you can send more pictures of the final result it would be very helpful. Thanks

Justinkeyback
    Participant

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have the same experience. Its some time ago I did the replacement, as far as I can remember I had to take the broken glass off with pretty much force, it was glued alright. I could no longer use the hinges, so I glued the new screen in the empty back lid, connected the wires and put the keyboard and screen lying flat (with screen and keyboard down) on the table, with ducttape together. So a double layer tape functions as a hinge. Then I took a stretch of cloth used for lowering and hoisting sun-blinds and glued it first across the lid and then, holding the screen in a proper position to work, with the ends on the bottom or rather backside of the bottom of the laptop. Not a pretty sight for sure, but the chew’y is still functioning. Hope this is of some help.

Vito Maran
    Participant

@toloco, I didn’t fix it dude, hinges is glued to the screen as lid is very thing. I contacted the seller and he proposed hinges for 30$, but I believe it is impossible to fix.

So, in the end, as I worried about in early stage I still have one hinge working, so I stopped closing the lid (except 2 times for transportation purpose) and use is more like desktop with ability to take it in bed (as it still lightweight).

P.S. As from January 2020 I have bought HP ENVY 360 convertable laptop so I don’t have this problems any more. I gave CHUWI to my aunt to use.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar