Cloning problems from emmc to ssd? try this:

Cloning problems from emmc to ssd? try this:

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Cloning problems from emmc to ssd? try this:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chupa
    Participant

Lots of Jumpers having problem cloning the emmc to the ssd. (never the ones who were s***t and got a 3s what has a 256GB SSD already installed)
    That might because you do an inside cloning.

Try an outside cloning via the USB3 port and an adapter, you might have more luck this way. I never clone inside – never had a cloning problem.
    Afterwards change the boot sequence in the bios to the USB drive.
    Should work OK.
    The rest is explained over and over here in the forum.

If the Jumper still gives you trouble, you can just velcro the little case with the ssd inside to the backside of your screen and boot from your USB SSD.

hope that answers your question Pascal.

The case is around 6 Euro plus shipping
    USB 3.0 to M.2 NGFF B Key SSD Adapter Card External Enclosure Case Cover Box

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Pascal Zinken
    Participant

Lots of Jumpers having problem cloning the emmc to the ssd. (never the ones who were s***t and got a 3s what has a 256GB SSD already installed) That might because you do an inside cloning. Try an outside cloning via the USB3 port and an adapter, you might have more luck this way. I never clone inside – never had a cloning problem. Afterwards change the boot sequence in the bios to the USB drive. Should work OK. The rest is explained over and over here in the forum. If the Jumper still gives you trouble, you can just velcro the little case with the ssd inside to the backside of your screen and boot from your USB SSD. hope that answers your question Pascal. The case is around 6 Euro plus shipping USB 3.0 to M.2 NGFF B Key SSD Adapter Card External Enclosure Case Cover Box

After 2 days off jerking around i finally gave up…. Jumper won!

I did 2 clones to be sure that my problems had nothing to do with bad cloning. 1 clone with minitool to SSD and 1 clone to SSD with Macrium.

Afther both cloning ways i first deleted the boot partition on the emmc. The jumper nicely booted from SSD…. Yes! When i restarted from windows all was fine BUT when i shut down the laptop and restarted the laptop went in efi shell….. ahhhhhhhhh.

Okay. Then completely wiped all partitions on emmc….. same thing!! Restart from windows was fine but shutdown and then fire up…. the damn thing went into efi shell.

So….. I did a clean install on emmc and left it that way.

I almost think it is indeed a hardware failure or a bad bios.

I give up as said.. . Grrrrrrrrr

Pascal Zinken
    Participant

Oh and still the question if NGFF is a special sort of SSD……?

Chupa
    Participant

you saw the link I posted for you? the one from wikpedia? anyhow it is just the old name for m.2 what is the new even more stupid name for this format.

like 720p = FULL HD ready

you should have made a little stop motion clip fighting with your Jumper and youtubing it as the Jumper Clone Wars.

maybe you need some followers to start a bigger non clone war to get some moeny back for a defect product.

Maybe they messed something up in the bios that it defaults after reboot to the emmc did you try another bios?

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

this old post might help too

Need Help?

Pascal Zinken
    Participant

this old post might help too

Hmmmmmmm….

Deleting ALL partitions BEFORE installing windows. .. .  because windows makes new partition if it doesnt find one…..

Looks like an idea

Chupa
    Participant

Pascal in the olden days ( last millennium) the were two ways to format a hdd. Format c: and your disk was formatted, or Format c:/s and a it was prepared as a boot hdd and you could install a operating system DOS or windows. These days they try to make things so complicated, that you need special programs or the right knowledge to proper install a system. The only way to find out why something is not working right is to test different things and sometimes several times the same thing. It can be quite vexing, I fought with a Chery trail what I messed up for 5 full days until it was behaving right. But I got the sucker in the end and that is what counts.

Need Help?

Pascal Zinken
    Participant

Pascal in the olden days ( last millennium) the were two ways to format a hdd. Format c: and your disk was formatted, or Format c:/s and a it was prepared as a boot hdd and you could install a operating system DOS or windows. These days they try to make things so complicated, that you need special programs or the right knowledge to proper install a system. The only way to find out why something is not working right is to test different things and sometimes several times the same thing. It can be quite vexing, I fought with a Chery trail what I messed up for 5 full days until it was behaving right. But I got the sucker in the end and that is what counts.

It’s a bitch. Did a clean install for windows 10 on ssd.

I deleted all partitions on emmc and ssd before i installed windows with a rufus prepared usb stick. The installer made 4 partitions on ssd as it should…  I didn’t format or partition emmc. Installed windows on ssd and with the first reboot the bios doesn’t recognize either the ssd nor the emmc. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

So back to clean install on emmc and all went well. …. Just like that. Now i am really done with the sucker

Chupa
    Participant

,Pascal, if it is not a hardware or contact error maybe somebody did mess up the bios in your Jumper. Did you flash your bios to a more open and friendly version?
    Did you clone on a usb stick?
    If so, can you repeatedly boot from it without going every time into the bios and change the boot order?

If so a 128GB or 256GB Sandisk ultra fit on the USB3 might be a solution.

It´s the one I use on a 15.6″ Cherry trail without ssd slot – reads faster than  a HDD and writes in HDD speed.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?

Tokat
    Participant

Chupa where can i buy The m2 USB 3.0 Adapter can you give a Link

Pascal Zinken
    Participant

Chupa where can i buy The m2 USB 3.0 Adapter can you give a Link

Aliexpress. Look for USB 3.0 to M.2

Tokat
    Participant

Thanks dude

Luca
    Participant

Hello! I have similar problem though less dramatic. I have two windows 10 (one eMMC and one cloned on SSD). Boots to SSD every time alright. Everything OK, BUT: after restarting it gets stuck (black screen lights under keyboard). I can successfully shut down and then start but not restart.

(Before, I tried wiping emmc and it loaded successfully to ssd but some devices as WIFI or touchpad stopped working and reinstalling them did not work. So I restored emmc from back-up image. Also before wiping SSD system warned me that it is using some information from emmc. It it was right.)

So my questions are:

1. Why the problem with restarting only? Shutting down and then starting windows works fine (always boots to SSD).
    2. What information (SSD) successfully cloned system is using from eMMC? Can I fix it anyhow?
    3. Pascal, did Chupa’s advise work? Have you tried cloning via adapter and did it change anything?

Will be grateful for some advise as this switching from eMMC to SSD really frustrates me;)

Chupa
    Participant

my advise works 99% of the time, just read through my help below

Need Help?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password