Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series Ezbook 3 – A diary with some hints how to get the most out of your Jumpers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Chupa
    Participant
    Chupa
    Participant

Against the mainstream with all the metal clad Jumpers – I decided for a plastic case, as nearly all my notebooks were. There is a nice metal Asus with backlit metal keyboard, a fast I7, 16Mb and a good gaming graphic card lying around but for everyday work I use a white old Sony 14″. Why? The Asus is heavy on the lap and the metal feels cold or too warm depends. Then I discovered the HP Stream 13″ and fell in love with my first silent and light weight PC.
    But with 2GB/32GB there is just browsing and basic tasks.
    I wanted something light, with a nice 14″ screen, fast enough processors and a modern graphic card what plays 4k 60 fps without a problem. There should be at least 4GB and a fast SSD if possible.
    Eating up nearly all of the Chris videos jumper and others related I found my favorite. Jumper 3s. With 6GB and a fast M.2 with 256GB a matte full HD screen and all for under 240 Euro at GB.

So I ordered and after 5 weeks GB and I decided the fist shipment got lost in China. Then the second Jumper got send to Spain. 25 days later I had the small package in my hand.

YAY
    Opening up the Jumper glared at me with a mirror-like display.
    ARGH! In all review all the Jumpers hat a matte screen I so desperately wanted.
    I looked at the description on all Jumper sellers and it just states IPS fullHD.
    The next ARGH! came when I looked at the activation and Windows told me: The key is already used from another Computer, go buy a new one.
    Nothing worked well because without activation there is not much customization, also apparently no update.
    Also there were some strange sounding programs running.

When I got the shiny screen 3S without valid license, The first thing was to ask GB a presale question to clarify if  I have a valid case.
    Since in all youtube reviews they got non reflective screens BUT in the Jumper description is the surface not mentioned (glossy or non glossy).

Question I send to GB:
    https://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_622023.html is the screen glossy or anti-reflecting (matte)? is windows 10 license valid?
    It too GB 5 days and another “please respond” reminder to answer me:

Here is the feedback we received:

“Our screen is Full HD screen, regardless of the smooth matte, win10 system is original”

So it can be smooth or matte? and win10 is original?

So original means GearBest just copy from the original to hundreds of jumpers with the same key and pay for one license???

The inside of the Jumper looks good, with a thermal coupling from the battery to the metal plate under the keyboard and the aluminum foil under the bottom plate. I will increase the surface of the copper heat sink since it gets well over 80 degrees Celsius when the turbo time limit is extended in ThrottleStop. The 3s holds up for a few minutes using 10 w but then it gets throttled to 100Mhz for a few seconds to cool down until it resumes up to 1400MHZ on all 4 cores and stays in the 65 degree range.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

I did my cooling surface extension with some 0.5 mm sheet metal I had lying around. It was a bit bigger than the aluminum foil what they taped to the bottom shell., it was easily cut with some sturdy scissors. The aluminum foil has a thickness from 0.1 mm, so pretty sturdy, but did not much in heat spreading. It got pretty warm where the copper heat sink is.

Cutting to size, drilling 2 holes, taking the blue plastic film from the aluminum foil and transfering it to the sheet metal. Then disconnecting the battery and taking off the heatsink. Now cutting out the blue plastic insulation around the heatsink area and adding a long thin double-sided sticky tape to the touchpad area to hold the metal in place. Then applying a lot of thermal grease especially  in the dip where the copper plate presses on the heat pad. Pressing the case together to check if it still fits and all snappers close.

Now to the testing…

Attachments:

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Chupa
    Participant

First test is encoding a 1080p video file in handbrake.fr with 1080p fast setting and change x264 to x265.

X265 takes 4 times longer to encode than x264. Without themo mod after 3 min the CPU went over 80 degrees and thermo throttling set in.

Now after 6 min we never went over 70 degrees. (The TrottleStop max value is from another test before.)

Next test was with prime95 which I quit after around 30 min.

It was set to maximum heat torture test.
    There was minimal thermal throttling to around 1800 Mhz but only for a few moments and then up to full speed again.
    The thermal spread on the bottom plate went from a quite warm small spot to a warm nearly half of the left side. So the heat spreading is not optimal yet but until i find a 0.5 mm copper plate it will do just fine.

So my Jumper 3S should now be thermal as good as the ones wo have a metal body and can run at full speed as long as I want to.
    Until I figure out how to change this in my gazillion settings bios ThrottleStop 850 will do nicely with the settings Turbo time limit set to 3670016 (max)

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

That darn windows 10.

Yesterday youtube was stuttering in the playback with nothing else running.
    Well nothing else was the windows defender what I had set to don’t do anything but it did hog my  resources anyway.
    So I had to add a key to the registry to stop it.
    And today another 50% resource hog: Windows module installer worker (who comes up with this names?)
    My Windows is still not activated since Gearbest is still playing dumb instead of sending a valid key. So Windows refuses some settings and modifications because it non activation.

So I can not install updates but the update installer is hogging 50% of my power doing ???
    Gosh I miss win7.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

yesterday for whatever reason throttle stop was acting as it was not there, so after 20 seconds all cores went down from 2100 MHz to 1400. No matter what I did including rolling back the Jumper to the day before or 3 days before – no change. GRRRRRRRRR

Add to that the no activation and no updates possible, I decided to reset the whole PC.
    – Settings
    – Update and  Security
    – Recovery
    – Reset this PC
    wipe everything and keep nothing

Waiting for a couple hours while the PC was playing with his marbles (throwing them around and around) while flashing for a friction of a second occasionally how much progress there was. It was so fast I had no chance to read. So I took out the Sony HX5 put it on the keyboard and let the video capture the screen. When I finally after 3 min saw another message flashing, I stopped the camera put the SD card into my Sony notebook and looked at the end of the clip. Just in this moment the Jumper was finished  (ha ha, good joke Murphey) and the clip showed progress 98%.

Whatever happened to just display a progress bar or valid time info so we know what is going on?

Well then came the for a few hours the installing everything new part followed from the initial setup and behold, the question do you want to update?
    Wow – really?
    Hmm – OK go for it.

I let this run through the night since 4GB on a 3mbit  connection takes some hours.
    So this morning I was greeted by a sleeping PC and after waking the Jumper we went through the same questions as the night before. I gracefully declined all the free spying, told Cortana she was never needed on this PC and started with my basic setup to get the Jumper ready.
    Then I deleted the ini file from Throttle stop since in the original file structure there is no ini file. Then prime95 did the processor test and worked well without throttling and I just remembered that I did not turn it off.

OOPS. Well after running in the background for around an hour with a max of 85c (185f) reached the overheating throttle set in and the Jumper was ticking away with 1500MHz and a slightly warm bottom plate that heat covers now 2/3 of the surface. Will have to get a 1mm copper shimmy to optimize my heat transfer from the processor to the copper plate on top.

Another thing, GearBest finally send me a new activation code and it took only 6 days.
    So happily I went to the Bouncer who had kicked me out several times because my number was used by somebody else, flashed him a smile what turned into bafflement while he told me: WINDOWS IS ACTIVATED WITH A DIGITAL LICENSE.
    Well played Murphey.

With update working in full swing I have the miss-fortune to have the Latest Creator Supdate….
    Oh the fun in finding out how to disable all the crap that was so easy to disable or not even there in 7.
    So if you like me want to: Disable Windows Defender Security Center
    here you go.

And about the tiny sound with no bass.
    here you go to make it loud and sound good.
    then, listen to this

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

I think I reposted nearly everything from my lost thread but I missed the benchmark.

Here you go.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

Encoded a 17 min 1080p clip. It took an hour and 15 minute in Handbrake. throttling was after a while down to 7.8 watt and 1670MHz. This resulted in a constant 7fps encoding and a 33 degrees Celsius warm bottom plate.
    Now I hjust need to get that copper shim.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

So some of the Jumpers have no brightness control and the color of most Jumpers is a bit to the blue side.
    Here is an easy and free solution:
    https://justgetflux.com/ 
    Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow?

Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?

During the day, computer screens look good—they’re designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn’t be looking at the sun.

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.”

It is also  free with NO crapware and has this nice shortcut to dim the screen: Fn+Alt+cursor down
    and you guessed right, Fn+Alt+cursor up brings up the brightness.</td>

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

HELP windows 10 is spying on me!

DUH – what’s new?

Well I found the easiest solution to block nearly everything including, phoning home,  installing new drivers…
    Get Shut Up Wesl… uhm no 10 I mean shut up 10.
    Free, and does all the work for you with a flick and switch.
    Here is a nice discussion, what will give you an idea what works:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/o-o-shutup10-do-not-use-windows-10-without-it.780264/

and get it here: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Yes it is free and no crapware attached!

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

Here some screenshots from the 3S BIOS, sorry but I have a highly reflective screen.
    If anybody has any idea of tweaking, please tell me here.

Attachments:

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

After 3 weeks figuring things out with my first full body windows 10 crapperience and the new Jumper 3S I have to say that I am quite happy with the little guy. I also teached him to play GTA V what I use since GTA SA only to drive around all over the place in a crazy fashion (carmageddon style). To read more about GTA V and the Jumper look here: https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/gta-5-with-an-apollo-lake/

There is also a little review where I show some of the improvements I did.
    If you are interested have a look here: https://youtu.be/iVD6RR82ac4

Need Help?

David Stone
    Participant

I think I reposted nearly everything from my lost thread but I missed the benchmark. Here you go.

I don’t have an Enhancements tabs in Speakers properties?

What am I doing wrong?

Chupa
    Participant

David, if you check my video at 3.26 what does your speaker shows when you click Propperties?

Need Help?

Chupa
    Participant

For some reason I am having often trouble posting in this forum. Sometimes the posts do not show up  and when I try again it tells me:

ERROR: Slow down; you move too fast.

ERROR: Duplicate reply detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!So If you see double it is not me it is some bug or so.

As promised here is the Xmas test, Jumper 3S playing GTA V  in 1280×720 fullscreen with a nude girl riding a bicycle during a blizzard in the evening.
    Why nude girl? Weeeell, I rather watch a nice girl doing stunts than some dude, but that is just me…

https://youtu.be/8fnpHacynGY

There is also a 1024×768 full screen with a nude girl riding a bicycle during a blizzard during the night.

https://youtu.be/Qs5jEp-Oh8s

aaaaand there is also a 1024×768 full screen with a nude girl riding a bicycle during a pleasant day.
    lots of visible things to render.
    https://youtu.be/lBuToMcjWlE

No bunnies were harmed (I am talking about the 4 legged version) in making this movies, one was bruised a bit.

So in conclusion the N3450 with disabled turbo time limit and a good cooling is quite usable for some gaming fun, video re-encoding and much more.

Need Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar