chuwi lapbook 12.3 prone to crash when moving?

chuwi lapbook 12.3 prone to crash when moving?

TechTablets Forums Chuwi Forums Chuwi LapBook Series chuwi lapbook 12.3 prone to crash when moving?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Carlos 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Carlos
    Participant

Hi,

I am really liking the lapbook 12.3, with linux runs really nice! But i am experiencing frequent I/O crashes whenever i move the lapbook, I assume it has to do with the SSD that ive installed it?

I am aware the SSD i have installed is not of great quality, brand is Kingspec, so I am wondering how to fix this issue, would be a solution to replace the SSD by another more well known brand? I have already tried to screw tightly the ssd and this seems to help but still the crashes occurs whenever I move the lapbook although it happens less often.

Hope somebody can help as I really like this lappy, it has potential to be a really nice linux machine!

Sx C
    Participant

Hi you need to do some more troubleshooting, does it still happens when you are running off the emmc?

Carlos
    Participant

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Thing is I never noticed this when I used the OS installed on the emmc. It started happening after ssd installation (both on win 10 and ubuntu). I am sure the SSD is making it crash whenever there is some significant move because when I used it on top of the desktop (almost no movements there) it worked stable for weeks without any crash. ThenI would put it on my lap and just the vibration that happens when typing over the lap, will crash it, I can even make it crash at will by moving it fast in the air, so is definitely the SSD under movement (issues with movements had already been mentioned on some threads e.g. https://techtablets.com/forum/topic/second-ssd-does-not-work-on-my-air-13-3-2017/#74792)

My question is if changing to another better brand as Trascend will increase stability? or would still crash due to ssd loosening and movements?

Sx C
    Participant

i really doubt it is the ssd itself, i’ve dropped my lapbook with a kingspec ssd as well from 30cm and it continued working.

what i have done differently thou is i have a thermal pad on the ssd that is being pushed down by the lid when i close it, maybe that is providing better contact with the pins? or you can try it without the screws and see if it slots in more.

if the problem persist you really should just remove the ssd, if it still shuts down without the ssd then you might have bigger problems such as cold solder joints etc.

Carlos
    Participant

Hi,

Following your suggestion, I’ve added a plastic pad on the ssd slot and now I am not seeing the error (sata link down on dmesg) however I started to get other libata related errors like “localhost kernel: ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x44050000 action 0xa frozen)” which will crash the system forcing me to do a hard reboot. Luckily, after reading several similar, yet ambiguous, bug reports I have apparently managed to fix the ata related crashes (no crashes for a day, before crashes every few mins) for this i’ve added some parameters to the kernel on /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash libata.force=<device_number>:noncq,3.0Gbps,udma133″

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password