Cube Mix Plus dead, no signs of life at all.. Need assistance and advices!

Cube Mix Plus dead, no signs of life at all.. Need assistance and advices!

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums Cube Mix Plus Cube Mix Plus dead, no signs of life at all.. Need assistance and advices!

This topic contains 40 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  SB9224 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Algorithm
    Participant

I guess it probably then boils down to design flaw then.  (too much heat when charging and using the tablet) which may damage the device.  I tend to only use mine on battery and not while charging and so far it works fine (also applied thermal mod and undervolted)

Ivan
    Participant

Algorithm,

that’s the problem, because for me one of the main drawbacks and downsides of Cube Mix Plus is really short battery life (for sure it is below average) and so if it is your main Windows device after every 4-5 hours you need to wait 2 hours to charge it… or you can work all the time on AC charger (as I actually did).

So the question  is how you can extend battery life, especially if you don’t need high performance and use this tablet for office work. One thing I know is to limit maximum processor state in Power Options>Change plan settings>Change advanced power settings>Processor power management>Maximum processor state. I really noticed that the tablet runs less hot after limiting to 65% or less, but unfortunately I can’t say that battery life becomes significantly longer after that. May be battery drains mostly because of screen and not because of CPU, I don’t know, because I heard that if you connect it to another external screen  and tablet’s screen is switched off the battery life is longer.

Is undervolting helping to extend battery life? Do you know any other ways to increase battery life? (especially if your performance needs are the last thing to worry about)

Algorithm
    Participant

Touchscreen and Wacom enabled screens do indeed use more battery life than standard screens.      If you wish to keep the high performance of the device, then unfortunately battery life will be in the region of 4-5 hours on medium load.

However if you do not mind sacrificing some cpu/gpu performance, you can turn on power saving mode in the intel hd display control panel and set CPU Max to 99% in power settings (to disable turboboost).  Some bios settings to lower max power can also help.

Undervolting will also save a bit of power but difference will be negligible (maybe may give you an extra 20 minutes battery life or so).      Updating to latest windows 10 fall creators update also gives you a power slider when you click on the battery icon where you can select high performance or low performance modes

It is really more a tradeoff between price of the device and reliability.   I also own a surface pro 4 and that has none of these issues.  Has great battery life 8-10 hours, good performance and none of the battery calibration issues that plague these cheap Chinese brands.

Lowering display brightness and maybe even somewhat disabling Wacom option may somewhat increase battery life further.    Some users have reported better battery life in Linux on some systems (although not sure what the current compatibility is with Linux and this device)

Algorithm
    Participant

Maybe if its possible to get a specific charger which charges the battery slower, this would have less impact on components heating up (or/and) use a laptop cooler beneath the tablet/laptop to dissipate heat more

XTSM
    Participant

I had a similar issue. It all started when I simultaneously used 12v adapter and Cheap Usb C Fast charger. Well the fast charger was actually connected to  hdmi/gigabit ethernet dock and the dock connected to type C input of the tablet. The tablet did not like this and immediately started hard hanging after few seconds into desktop. This continued for few days and then eventually would not boot(no post, no screen). Just red led lit up for few secs and then nothing.

Disappointed, I kept aside for few months till I could find some time to debug this. After getting some hints from few online videos, I finally decided to find the issue myself as getting it fixed from Cube would be next to impossible considering my geography.

It appeared that most common issue with such symptoms was power related issue. I could not find any short circuits initially. But then noticed using multimeter that the one of the eeprom and display lvds chips were not getting any power. Then traced the back to find the Mosfet powering them and voila the mosfet had a open drain. The mosfet has “R1” labelled on it. After some digging found out that Mosfet to be CJ3401. Since I did not have it handy, I just removed the mosfet and shorted the source and the drain pins of the pads till I get the mosfet sourced(utsource seem to stock them).

Assembled everything back again, prayed a bit and moment of truth, clicked the power button. Voila! tablet booted successfully into windows. Was very happy!!!

I have benchmarks running for an hour now and everything is going on smoothly so far.

Below some pictures. The one on the left is what I fixed and one on right(same mosfet CJ3401) also looks faulty and usb otg is not working yet. So I am assuming it is the cause. Will try to fix it when I source the MOSFET.

Cheers!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

virgo
    Participant

trash it and say good bye to aldo cube

If you found my answer helpful, you may donate to me at my signature above!

Daved
    Participant

Daved
    Participant

WELL, CONGRATS! I would like to try this in my dead Cube i7 stylus. I dont know if I understood well; you just removed mosfet CJ3401 and it worked? I´ve seen the pictures but I dont get wich one it is :_D.

XTSM
    Participant

Well the tablet/phones are full of mosfets for power gating mostly. First we have to identify the fault and will involve some debugging.

Your case may not be a mosfet issue or may well be. In case of bad mosfet, we ideally need to replace them, if not available we can bridge the gate and source pins of the mosfet after removing it.

It is very difficult explain how to go about finding the real issue with few text here. I would suggest giving it to a pro for repair as they can identify the issue quickly. If not you can learn online like youtube how to debug stuff and also learn basic electronics. Specifically you can look at this Channel -> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCooKQlg-HZ0PFAPc4Ymg3RA which helped me immensely to find the issue.

virgo
    Participant

I dont think an ordinary people can fix it instead of a service personnel

If you found my answer helpful, you may donate to me at my signature above!

SB9224
    Participant

I had the same problem after install win 10. I consult my computer technician and he can solve the problem after one day. I didn’t exactly understand how to do. He just told me that he warmed the intel cpu and mainboard and reload the bios and the circuit was normal.I think most computer technician will know how to do. I also replace new battery 6500 mah as figure. Everything is allright. The new battery was thicker than the old one about 2 mm.. Hope that my case will be useful.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password