Cube WP10 – OS Update Issue

Cube WP10 – OS Update Issue

TechTablets Forums Cube Forums General Discussion Cube WP10 – OS Update Issue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    AB
    Participant

Just picked up a Cube WP10 phablet from GearBest (for a grandparent).

It’s a 7″ Windows 10 Mobile (Snapdragon 210, 2 GB RAM) phone, and it’s actually quite a bit better than I thought it might be.

There’s one critical problem, though, which is that the device doesn’t see any updates in Windows Update. It’s running Windows 10 build 10586, which is a year old, and because the phone’s not on the Anniversary Update (14393 onwards), apps like Skype Preview, Netflix, etc. don’t work.

Normally, W10M is able to update on its own, directly from MS without any carrier/OEM intervention, but it looks like there is an option for the OEM to interfere with this process– which has only thus far been seen in the Coship Moly X1 (another Chinese W10M device): https://mspoweruser.com/psa-not-windows-10-phones-get-direct-updates-microsoft/.

The Cube WP10’s update issue is mentioned in Windows Central’s hands-on video: http://www.windowscentral.com/unboxing-and-hands-cube-wp10-windows-10-mobile-tablet

I wrote in to cube-tablet.com, on the device’s Q&A section, and they responded saying “Please check whether the device update settings are turned off” – which is obviously not the problem here. Others asked the same thing in Q&A, and the response was “When we get the latest firmware, we will release it on our website.”

Is there any other way to contact Cube? This is a pretty unique device, and I’d hate to have it be a useless brick here…

RDSponge
    Participant

Cube WP10 has excellent value for its price. Although its specs are not top, performs very well and I find it very satisfying for everyday use.
    I fear that, sadly, it will be left unsupported by both Cube and MS, like many non-Lumia or MS phones. So I’ve tried to find a way to get the anniversary update, which I assumed it could handle without problems, as it has the same Qualcomm CPU as Lumia 650 (Snapdragon 212).

Phone Update shows nothing, it is not recognized by Windows Device Recovery Tool, Insider program also doesn’t show any update.
    Then I’ve tried Windows Phone Internals -a very good tool- which doesn’t recognize it at this time.
    Next I installed DHT Upgrade Advisor, a clever tool, made for changing some Registry values to make the unsupported phone appear as Lumia 950XL to MS servers and therefore eligible for updates. The problem was that the backup function of this tool was not available for the Cube and without the ability to restore the changed registry values there is no way back if anything went wrong. So the only solution (simple enough to try on a brand new device without much risk) was to try the Registry hack manually.
    There is a magical tool called Interop Tools (made by Gas33000) and using this the update problem was solved.

Here’s is the procedure (try it at your own risk and only if you have the exact device)

1.Find and download the latest version of Interop Tools (currently 1.9.388.0_arm) and the appropriate ARM dependencies zip file from XDA forums. Be sure to read the installation instructions (and the warnings too!) but don’t install any other app mentioned there except Interop Tools app and Dependencies (unless you are an experienced Windows hacker and you want to mess with your phone).
    2.Unzip the files and put them in your phone.
    3.Go to Settings – Update & Security – For developers and check «Developer Mode» (answer yes to the warning)
    4.Install the 4 dependencies files one by one by tapping on them and answering yes to the question.
    5.Then install Interop Tools app (same procedure). If you reverse the sequence the app won’t show in the phone’s apps list.
    6.Go to the phone’s apps list. Interop Tools should be on top (as most recent). Open it.
    7.On the first screen check «Native registry provider (aka This device)»
    8.Open Registry Browser and go to HKLM > System > Platform > DeviceTargetInfo
    9.Write down or take a screenshot with these values:

phone manufacturer = CUBE
    phoneHardwareVariant = VAR-GSM
    phonemanufacturerModelName = T698
    phoneModelName= T698

10.Change them as follows
    PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
    PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-1085
    PhoneManufacturerModelName = RM-1116_11258.
    PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM.
    Don’t forget to tap save for every value you change

11.At this point I’ve rebooted my phone, but I don’t know if it’s mandatory.
    12.Open Settings – Phone Update and check for updates. You should see available update now (Build 14393)
    13.Be sure to have your battery charged or your phone connected to charger and wait for the Anniversary update to install.
    14.Go to Settings – Update & Security – For developers and check «Windows Store only».
    You can also restore the original registry values if you want – just in case Cube uploads a new firmware.

Built 14393 runs smoothly on Cube WP10 and seems very stable – I’ve noticed no problems at all (it’s the second day on it).

Good luck – and be careful, it’s your brand new WP you’re fiddling!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Charles
    Participant

@rdsponge

Could you please add a few details to your excellent instructions above:

1.Find and download the latest version of Interop Tools (currently 1.9.388.0_arm) and the appropriate ARM dependencies zip file from XDA forums.

Provide a direct link for Interop Tools and a link to ARM dependencies.

2.Unzip the files and put them in your phone.

Put them where in the phone?

Thanks for your help.

RDSponge
    Participant

Here’s the developer’s page for Interop Tools:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10-mobile/windows-10-mobile-apps-and-games/app-interop-tools-versatile-registry-t3445271

Take a look at the first few posts and then go to the last page and check backwards the developer’s posts for the most recent version (yesterday he posted the files for v.1.9.390). You need the two ARM files (ITools and dependencies), which you can download from there.

It doesn’t matter where you put the unzipped files, they’ll go to their place at the installation procedure.

One thing  didn’t mention in my first post: the whole procedure applies to “untouched” Cube WP10 – by “untouched” I mean that you haven’t unlock/interop/hack them with other unlocking tools, because these tools may modify the phone’s bootloader or some value in the registry that Interop Tools uses. In this case you may have to reset your phablet and then try to install ITools.

Good luck and -again- be careful!

Charles
    Participant

@rdsponge

Your instructions worked like a charm. The system seems faster with the update. Everything is smooth as silk. The only thing I’ve noticed so far is the Radio app is missing. I downloaded an app from the Windows Store and the Radio woks fine.

Thanks again for your help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    AB
    Participant

Thanks so much @rdsponge – didn’t realize Interop Tools would work on this phone.

Will give this a try soon!

RDSponge
    Participant

Happy to know that this tip is useful!

@Charles

I think that MS removed Radio app in the Anniversary update

Rafael
    Participant
    <pre id=”tw-target-text” class=”tw-data-text tw-ta tw-text-small” dir=”ltr” data-fulltext=”” data-placeholder=”Tradução”><span lang=”en”>Hello,

I want to change the CUBE WP10 firmware to the HP Elite x3 firmware. I can? Help me, please.

Thank you!</span>

Rafael
    Participant

<span lang=”en”>Hello, I want to change the CUBE WP10 firmware to the HP Elite x3 firmware. I can? Thank you!</span>

Chris
    Participant

I have successfully downloaded and installed interop, where are the other files I need? Thanks.

Didu
    Participant

Hi Fellas,

I have tried to do this Interop tools install, but the app itself will not show in the settings (“Extras”). It shows in the recent apps, but clicking on it shows the splash screen (lock sign) for a second, then it exits back to the all apps.

I have  used the latest version from

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=71000190&postcount=607

I installed all four dependencies first then the app itself. I received no error message.

The have also tried after factory reset.

Any clue?? Thx

Acromion
    Participant

I’ve done the hack to get windows update working but unfortunately, I can’t seem to play protected content.  I don’t know if it was working before the hack or not.  For example, Netflix comes up with an error and so does windows video when playing content that was purchased from the windows store.

Am I alone in this or are other people experiencing the same issue?  The hardware really does seem to work fairly well and I like the Windows Mobile experience on the device but it would be nice if the kids could watch Netflix once in a while.

Joe
    Participant

Has anyone had an issue with Introp tools starting to launch then crash?

Joe
    Participant

I’m having the same issue with Netflix.  Did you ever resolve the issue?

Acromion
    Participant

Nope.  Never resolved it.  Have you also done the update or is this out of the box.  I’d like to know if it works as shipped.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar