EMMC vs SSD: No noticeable speed increase? CPU Bottleneck!

EMMC vs SSD: No noticeable speed increase? CPU Bottleneck!

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series EMMC vs SSD: No noticeable speed increase? CPU Bottleneck!

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    milchrockthat
    Participant

Hey friends,

after I finally got my SSD working, the result is quite disappointing.

I installed a clean Windows 10 Build 1709 on both storage’s to compare them (BIOS v6 locked).

I thought to get some performance increase at starting programs or booting windows, but the reality is different: I can´t notice some performance increase, windows 10 and all programs have the same boot time.

I tested the performance of the EMMC and SSD with CrystalDiskMark, there is a huge speed difference between both (SSD = Transcend MTS400S 128GB, EMMC = SanDisk DF4064).

Then I started observing the CPU load: Almost in each situation the CPU is running (short) at 100% utilization. I think the bottleneck is not (as I thought) the EMMC storage, it´s the CPU.

So if you buy a M.2 SSD to get a performance increase, you will be disappointed (if you have a SanDisk EMMC).

How is your experience with SSD and EMMC? Do you got some performance increase (maybe compared with an other EMMC)?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chupa
    Participant

It is not so much the time loading it is more the time all the 100something processes with their 1400something threads find all the 36000 something handles.

In short welcome to windows 10 wonderland and it will get worse from update to update.

If your 200mb program loads in 0.1 seconds or 0.5 seconds ins not what makes up your time.

BUT you will learn to like it when you work with some real fast usb3  storage and shovel big data from your internal storage.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar