External Hard Disk Not Connecting

External Hard Disk Not Connecting

TechTablets Forums Jumper Discussion EZBook series External Hard Disk Not Connecting

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth
    Participant

Has anyone encountered any problems when using an external hard disk attached to either of the USB ports?

Mine seems to repeatedly connect and disconnect at random. Doesn’t stay connected for long before disconnecting then re-connecting. FYI, I wiped all the partitions and did a fresh install of windows then restored the drivers from the V4 driver dump in the download section. Feels like it might be the drivers. My version is the latest version that came with the December Bios and SanDisk eMMC DF4064. (V5/6?)

Anybody having the same version? Perhaps I could get a driver dump from you guys so that I can restore it to my system using “Double Driver”.

Liam
    Participant

Hi Kenneth,

Did you restore both the USB 2.0 & 3.0 drivers?

I carried out a clean install of Windows 10 (Version 1709) on my EZBook 3 Pro V4 (SanDisk eMMC) the other day, with all available Windows Updates downloaded and installed.

I restored drivers from the V4 driver dump in the downloads section as well and I have not experienced any issues with USB devices.

Kenneth
    Participant

Hi Liam,

I did the same stuff you did. Yes, USB 2.0 & 3.0 both were restored. USB thumb drive works fine although it sometimes does disconnect on its own, mostly it’s just the external hard disk the refusing to connect. That’s why I’m scratching my head. BTW, when restoring the drivers from the V4 driver dump did you get any that failed? I seem to 2 that have failure reported can’t remember which ones but it’s definitely not USB 2.3/3.0 and it’s not affecting anything.

juan
    Participant

for external HD must use usb from right, left side usb dont have enought power for external hdd.

Liam
    Participant

Hi Liam, I did the same stuff you did. Yes, USB 2.0 & 3.0 both were restored. USB thumb drive works fine although it sometimes does disconnect on its own, mostly it’s just the external hard disk the refusing to connect. That’s why I’m scratching my head. BTW, when restoring the drivers from the V4 driver dump did you get any that failed? I seem to 2 that have failure reported can’t remember which ones but it’s definitely not USB 2.3/3.0 and it’s not affecting anything.

Hi Kenneth,

Double Driver reported no failures when I restored from the V4 driver dump in the downloads section.

A bit of a long shot but you may want to check if a power limit has been set on the USB ports.

Kenneth
    Participant

Bloody brilliant, Liam! Power limits… How on earth did I forget that? LOL! You’re right, that fixed it. It was the power limit that was causing the problem. Thanks. 🙂

Liam
    Participant

Bloody brilliant, Liam! Power limits… How on earth did I forget that? LOL! You’re right, that fixed it. It was the power limit that was causing the problem. Thanks. ?

You’re very welcome Kenneth. I’m curious to see if I have any power limits set on the USB ports myself!

Kenneth
    Participant

Actually, to be more precise, disabling the USB selective suspend settings in the power plan>advance power settings was what solved it. I think that’s causing the system to somehow cut power to the ports randomly causing disconnects.

Chupa
    Participant

well, I  disabled both  USB selective suspend settings and still the 1TB external disk will not work propperly but everything 500 GB and below works. I also have a USB3 reader stick what disables often after a few seconds on the USB3 port but works without flaw on the USB2 port.

Need Help?
    1981 soldered my first Sinclair computer 1K, tapedeck * 1984 build and sold IBM clones 8Mhz, 512K, 20MB HDD * 2018 messing with ultrabooks

Kenneth
    Participant

well, I disabled both USB selective suspend settings and still the 1TB external disk will not work propperly but everything 500 GB and below works. I also have a USB3 reader stick what disables often after a few seconds on the USB3 port but works without flaw on the USB2 port.

Hmm… not sure what’s going on there. All I did was disable the selective suspend and everything worked fine again. FYI, my external HDD is also 1TB. It’s an old HDD made by HGST that I’ve put in an enclosure and used mainly for backups.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar