HDD upgrade

HDD upgrade

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro HDD upgrade

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Chris G 5 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Olly
    Participant

@pipo I’m afraid this won’t work. The chip in this laptop only supports SATA storage.

Plus, on a machine of this size/specification, NVMe wouldn’t bring you any real speed benefit anyway. There is no application you could run that could make use of more-than SATA speeds (6Gb/s – 550MB/s) on this hardware, besides benchmarking.

The magical spark of NVMe — the bit that makes it faster in day-to-day use — is its much lower latency compared to SATA storage. This is achieved by skipping the SATA controller/bus altogether and having the CPU directly access the storage by PCI-E. You can achieve a more speedy performance on the F6 Pro if you wish, by purchasing another SSD that has DRAM cache onboard. SSDs with DRAM cache will perform order of magnitude better than those without, because the filesystem map/table can be kept in the cache which makes reads 2x-3x faster. Most cheap SSDs are DRAM-less, but I’m sure somebody sells one with DRAM.

pipolitoto
    Participant

Olly,

look at the bios, the item exist and i can’t sure it’s functional,  tell me please, if it’s possible.

Your answer is just but i want to explore all possibilities of this notebook, my pride is make the max with the min.

I hope that Chinese win with our products offer a max possibility with a price minimum.

Thanks

Olly
    Participant

@pipo No, this laptop DOES NOT support NVMe. The M.2 slot is connected to the SATA storage controller – you cannot magically retrack it to the PCIe controller for NVMe.

If you’d like to buy an NVMe SSD and try it, be my guest, but don’t come running back here to tell us it doesn’t work when we already know.

Chris G
    Keymaster

@pipo Olly is right, it most defiantly will not work the NVMe, just because there is that option in the bios. Doesn’t mean the hardware is there. Also, it will not even plug-in. The connector is ever so slightly different.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: ONE-NETBOOK One Mix 2S & AllDoCube X
    Currently testing: Mate 20 X & Mate 20 Pro

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password