HDD upgrade

HDD upgrade

TechTablets Forums Teclast Forums Teclast F6 Pro HDD upgrade

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Olly
    Participant

@pipo I’m afraid this won’t work. The chip in this laptop only supports SATA storage.

Plus, on a machine of this size/specification, NVMe wouldn’t bring you any real speed benefit anyway. There is no application you could run that could make use of more-than SATA speeds (6Gb/s – 550MB/s) on this hardware, besides benchmarking.

The magical spark of NVMe — the bit that makes it faster in day-to-day use — is its much lower latency compared to SATA storage. This is achieved by skipping the SATA controller/bus altogether and having the CPU directly access the storage by PCI-E. You can achieve a more speedy performance on the F6 Pro if you wish, by purchasing another SSD that has DRAM cache onboard. SSDs with DRAM cache will perform order of magnitude better than those without, because the filesystem map/table can be kept in the cache which makes reads 2x-3x faster. Most cheap SSDs are DRAM-less, but I’m sure somebody sells one with DRAM.

pipolitoto
    Participant

Olly,

look at the bios, the item exist and i can’t sure it’s functional,  tell me please, if it’s possible.

Your answer is just but i want to explore all possibilities of this notebook, my pride is make the max with the min.

I hope that Chinese win with our products offer a max possibility with a price minimum.

Thanks

Olly
    Participant

@pipo No, this laptop DOES NOT support NVMe. The M.2 slot is connected to the SATA storage controller – you cannot magically retrack it to the PCIe controller for NVMe.

If you’d like to buy an NVMe SSD and try it, be my guest, but don’t come running back here to tell us it doesn’t work when we already know.

Chris G
    Keymaster

@pipo Olly is right, it most defiantly will not work the NVMe, just because there is that option in the bios. Doesn’t mean the hardware is there. Also, it will not even plug-in. The connector is ever so slightly different.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Wizzard
    Participant

I just upgraded to Transcend MTS420S 240 GB and it is very good, hdparm gives 500 MB/s 🙂

Anthony
    Participant

A note on the Teclast SSD – Maybe I received a faulty SSD but the Teclast SSD DOES NOT allow the CPU Package to enter anything lower than a C2 state. This results in drastically increased CPU power consumption (0.8W-1W on idle) compared to my Transcend 420S, whuch allows the CPU Package to enter C8 state (0.4W). @Chris I’m not sure if you did your review with your custom SSD, but battery life should easily get to at least 7-8hrs, even 10.

The laptop supposedly supports eMMC storage – IIRC there is space for such a chip. If you have a hot air gun youc ould try to add eMMC.

Wizzard
    Participant

The laptop supposedly supports eMMC storage – IIRC there is space for such a chip. If you have a hot air gun youc ould try to add eMMC.

What do you mean? To solder some slower emmc chip to enhance the storage?

Chris G
    Keymaster

@che0063 I reviewed part with the included SSD and then my own 512GB Kingspec one. 7-8 hours battery under normal web, wifi on use isn’t possible. If you can get that please do share how.

Chris | Admin
    Please support us and help keep TechTablets online. Affiliate revenue is used to pay for the server, studio apartment (Techtablets HQ) and buy new tech to review. Without it, this site would be dead.
    Next up for review:
    Ordered and waiting for my: BMAX S15 & Teclast F6 Plus
    Currently testing: LG G8X & Redmi K30

Anthony
    Participant

Fully idle – Wifi + Bluetooth on, minimum brightness – no devices connected = 2.3-2.5W idle power consumption. That’s over 15hrs of idle time.

I can easily get a solid 7-8hrs of web browsing and word processing, with brightness at 50%. If I drop the brightness down to 0%, battery life easily goes up. The included Teclast SSD is faulty for me. I am also not trustful of the Kingspec one – does that allow the CPU to enter lower than C2 state?

As well, the HingeAngeDetection service is poorly optimized. As a result, it keeps the CPU C0% at 5-10% higher than normal. Depending on the BIOS setting, that causes the CPU to consume an extra 0.2-0.3W on idle. That is unacceptable. I have also mucked around with the BIOS and it got CPU power consumption lower.

BTW I’m also undervolted -80mV and have near-zero background processes.

As a result, I created a .bat file to stop and start the service when I need it. I don’t even use tablet mode that often.

I am currently trying to find a way to force one of the power states from D0 to D3 so that I don’t need the service to disable the touchpad/keyboard when in tablet mode.

@wizzard
    You can potentially do that if there is space for eMMC.

Roberto
    Participant

Hello everyone. It look like my TF6Pro did not recognise 512 GB SSD module from Kingspec. Pls, is it some special procedure for inserting it on? Or is that some special settings in BIOS?? Update BIOS??

Thank you for reply.

rav
    Participant

@che0063

How do you know your idle power consumption?

How do you know if your CPU enters C2 state or not?

How do you know HingeAngeDetection causes an extra 0.2-0.3W power consumption?

There is no way to reproduce your results without any info on how you measured them.

dan
    Participant

Hello,

I bought the f6pro with the ssd broken. I finally receved something like might be the content of a recovery partition. Wherever i put it, it format everything, repartioning, following a script after boot. Even if i boot it from usb stick, format the usb stick not the ssd. I am stuck.

Any ideas,

Thanks

Wizzard
    Participant

I found another interesting and cheap SSD replacement TS512GMTS430S https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-981 for great price 70 € in my local internet store in my city, so I just ordered it, cause its parameters are even better than my 240 GB MTS420 and the price was almost the same.

seeb
    Participant

car le TS512GMTS430S serait compatible sur f6pro ?

Anthony
    Participant

@che0063 How do you know your idle power consumption? How do you know if your CPU enters C2 state or not? How do you know HingeAngeDetection causes an extra 0.2-0.3W power consumption? There is no way to reproduce your results without any info on how you measured them.

I have an huge issue with arrogant people like you who a) dismiss the info which other people give them and b) do so without doing at least some research yourself.

How about YOU use some readily available software that can check CPU C states?

How about YOU then spend hours and hours trying to diagnose what the issue is?

How about YOU then go out of your way to purchase new hardware to attempt to solve the issue?

Go on, do it yourself. C states were measured via ThrottleStop. The HingeAngleService was started and stopped on demand with services.msc. All power usage was measured with minimum brightness, WLAN off, and all background processes terminated. Power usage was logged with batteryinfoview. Once again:

With minimum brightness, wifi and bt off, all background processes stopped, windows 10 1903, no devices connected: 2.0-2.1W. With Hinge Angle Service: 2.5-3W. But don’t worry. YOU shouldn’t need to waste time to try what I MYSELF decided to TAKE MY OWN TIME to SHARE with the community. No, YOU keep on doing what YOU want to do. It’s ALL about YOU. YOU do what YOU think is best for YOU. Don’t even consider what OTHERS might possibly even remotely have to say.

I’m getting 10hrs on my Teclast regularly at school. But you arrogant people aren’t willing to listen to others, let alone even CONSIDER taking ANY trying out what other people take the time to type on these forums.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Skip to toolbar